New CPM Stainless Steel??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

New CPM Stainless Steel??

Post by steelcity16 »

Saw someone saying it is supposed to be like a stainless 4V? :eek: How long until we see this in a Mule??

This video is from our very own DBH/BBB, so hopefully he will chime in here. My favorite fixed blade maker also said that he is already testing this steel.

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Enactive

Re: New CPM Stainless Steel??

Post by Enactive »

Cool. Thanks SC16 and BBB! I am curious to watch what develops. :cool:
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

So, which steel is it? Still under wraps?

On another note, plain old 1095 did pretty well in that test. Much better than I would have guessed after going thru that nail.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:49 am

On another note, plain old 1095 did pretty well in that test. Much better than I would have guessed after going thru that nail.
Edge geometry is most important as always; that ESEE is a heavy knife. I was surprised the difference was so big between the two steels when the ESEE has that kind of geometry.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Larrin wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:55 am
JRinFL wrote:

Edge geometry is most important as always; that ESEE is a heavy knife. I was surprised the difference was so big between the two steels when the ESEE has that kind of geometry.
Agreed. I would like to see the same blade and edge geometry used for both blades in tests like this.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Sure, but it's a precarious position, I don't want to make an ESEE clone, I am knifemaker, I make my own designs.

Also, if I made my knife in 1095 and heat treated it folks would just give me grief that I didn't HT the 1095 properly and need to use brand "X" also it doesn't do a good job of relating to folks since no one buys 1095 I heat treat off the shelf.

I kept the demonstration somewhat reasonable, I could always have gone more destructive but we just need to go enough to see some differences.

The purpose of the video is not to give ESEE a hard time either, I like ESEE, lots of folks like ESEE, that's why I compared it to something we all can relate to.
JRinFL wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:59 am
Larrin wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:55 am
JRinFL wrote:

Agreed. I would like to see the same blade and edge geometry used for both blades in tests like this.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:37 am
Sure, but it's a precarious position, I don't want to make an ESEE clone, I am knifemaker, I make my own designs.

Also, if I made my knife in 1095 and heat treated it folks would just give me grief that I didn't HT the 1095 properly and need to use brand "X" also it doesn't do a good job of relating to folks since no one buys 1095 I heat treat off the shelf.

I kept the demonstration somewhat reasonable, I could always have gone more destructive but we just need to go enough to see some differences.

The purpose of the video is not to give ESEE a hard time either, I like ESEE, lots of folks like ESEE, that's why I compared it to something we all can relate to.

Yeah, it's easy being a critic, much harder to be a maker! It was not my intent to find flaws with you or your demonstration, I just meant that it is better if the geometries are the same as it eliminates one more variable.

So is the new steel under NDA?
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

The name and chemistry isn't available publicly yet, but should be soon.

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:47 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:37 am

Yeah, it's easy being a critic, much harder to be a maker! It was not my intent to find flaws with you or your demonstration, I just meant that it is better if the geometries are the same as it eliminates one more variable.

So is the new steel under NDA?
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Well well well,
62.4 HRC and breaking nails without chipping.

Wow.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I just think the progress of steel is amazing. The craftmanship, amazing. YouTube started 2005, just the ability for me to see this information is amazing. I am amazed that a single handed, bolt cutting, 4x4 chopping, wood splitting axe, can look so much like a knife. Amazed and confused. Amazed that it is true, confused because I can only share the link. When I tell non believers that a knife can chop nails with little to no damage, they say "fake news."
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I am hoping this is similar to SRS-15 that Shawn has discussed in the past. A stainless cruwear "like" steel. Obviously his custom work will maximize the performance.
blues

Post by blues »

Very impressive. Thanks, Shawn for the eye opener.
- Retired from the chase -
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

dan31 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:25 am
I am hoping this is similar to SRS-15 that Shawn has discussed in the past. A stainless cruwear "like" steel. Obviously his custom work will maximize the performance.
I'd say this new steel is even better. Dr Larrin is a real mastermind and the chemistry is very purpose built for high performance.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Big Chris made a couple knives in a mystery steel he couldn't mention the name of, I bet this is it. He raved about it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

blues wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:29 am
Very impressive. Thanks, Shawn for the eye opener.
I was very impressed to see a PM stainless do so well. Finally living in 2021 :cool: future years.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:05 am
Big Chris made a couple knives in a mystery steel he couldn't mention the name of, I bet this is it. He raved about it.
Yes.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

That’s great news.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Is the optimal heat treat for this steel something Spyderco could do in a full production environment? I'm guessing it was designed this way, but just curious.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Also, how far out would we be from seeing this in a Spyderco Mule, and then in an actual Spyderco folder? I wonder if this is one of the mystery Mules since they skipped a number or two? :confused:
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:06 pm
Is the optimal heat treat for this steel something Spyderco could do in a full production environment? I'm guessing it was designed this way, but just curious.
Yes.