Dear Enablers - Help me decide...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jason Paul

Dear Enablers - Help me decide...

Post by Jason Paul »

Hi All,

I have a birthday coming up and figured I'd ask for your opinions; I have my eye on a few Spydies. I'm still pretty new to all of this as well.

I currently have two Manixes (LW & G-10) and a Sage 5 LW. I've been EDC-ing my Manix G-10 most days. I've read a lot here about serrated edges, so wanted to give that a try, and also wanted to try a wharncliffe. I'm interested in a few, but need some help with the details. I'll probably end up getting 2-3 knives.

Here's what I'm looking at, along with some ramblings and questions.

Endela SE
This one is almost a no-brainer. I'm new here, but I can already see Wartstein's eyes lighting up :) . This just seems a good option for me anyway; a good size and apparently a well-done SE.

Rock Jumper
I like that the blade goes almost to the handle, and that it's a wharncliffe, which I wanted to try anyway. The question here is whether to go with SE or PE. What I've been reading here about SE really sells it, generally; but if I'm already getting the Endela in SE, should I get another in the Rock Jumper? Then again, I've read that SE in a wharncliffe is great.

I also wonder how tall the Rock Jumper is compared to the Manix in the pocket.

So, thoughts on all of this?

Caribbean
This is what I wanted in the first place; lots for me to like. Possible issues are that it may be big in the pocket (larger than a Manix?), and what I've read about a weak detent and the possibility of it opening in the pocket. Are those real concerns at all, or just a handful of instances? Then of course, it's the most expensive by far.

Another question about the Caribbean is which blade configuration? I started a thread here for advice about SE vs. PE, and it seems SE won that thread. Due to the price though, I didn't want to spend so much on my first SE, and was planning to get the SE Endela to test the SE waters. However, I'm not seeing PE Caribbeans in stock anywhere, and everyone seems to love the SE Caribbean, so now I'm thinking I may bite the bullet.

Then... leaf or sheepsfoot? I really only liked the leaf shape at first, but in reading here I'm seeing some advantages of the sheepsfoot. The leaf has a pointier tip, but more prone to break I'd guess. I like the shallow curve of the sheepsfoot, but the leaf isn't bad. The sheepsfoot's rounded tip is probably stronger, but is it pointy enough? I also read the sheepsfoot has better access to the Spydie hole.

I've seen Evil D's modified sheepsfoot which I like, but I'm not sure if I want to try that myself.

So - any direction on blade configuration of the Caribbean?

Endura Wharncliffe SE
This is at the bottom of the list. I'm interested, but unsure. It might be too big, and I keep reading about the handle "points" not fitting some people's hands well. I have a Cabela's not too far from the house and they had a regular Endura there last time I went, so I could try to get one in-hand to refresh my memory. This one is just kind of a "throwing it out there" thought.

So anyway - any help you guys can provide on any of the above is appreciated.

Thanks!
Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
p_atrick

Re: Dear Enablers - Help me decide...

Post by p_atrick »

I've never seen a more apt thread title. I don't have any of these knives, so I can't offer a recommendation. Of the ones presented, I am most interested in the RJ. So if you are only going to get one, that is my vote.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Enablers, you say?? Well, I'm your huckleberry! Buy them all!

Seriously, though, of the models on your list, I've owned the Caribbean (leaf shape, both PE and SE), and the Warnie Endura SE. I also own a PE Endela.

I really liked the Caribbeans in hand, but in the end I sold them because they didn't really fit my carry needs. I like the super stainless steels for carry in the hot sweaty summer months, but the Caribbean was too heavy for lightweight shorts with pockets, and the detent too weak to carry iwb in running shorts.

I LOVE the SE wharnie endura. I've got micarta scales on mine, and I use it primarily as an outdoors companion knife to a PE drop point fixed blade. It's one of my current favorite spydies, actually. I think for general edc, though, I'd prefer the SE Endela (although the PE endela suits me just fine for edc).

I say get whichever appeals to you most, and if it doesn't work for you, sell it and try the next one on your list.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

It's your Birthday!!! Go ahead and indulge and splurge!!! Buy them all!!! You will not be happy until you do!!!

My .02,

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
benben

Post by benben »

Hey Jason, just so I can hopefully confuse you just a little more, if you're wanting to try a serrated edge, find yourself a Pacific Salt in H1. It's a serious cutting pocket chainsaw! It's very tough and carries so well, and is super easy to sharpen!

You honestly can't go wrong with any of the choices you listed, of the four you listed I only own a serrated Rockjumper, the handle itself is worth the price of admission! A K390 plain edge Endela will probably next for me of the ones you listed.
Last edited by benben on Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I have tried the Endela but found the handle uncomfortable.

The Caribbean is fantastic, great for large hands, long cutting edge but fairly wide in pocket. The detent on mine was weak but easily remedied with a very cheap diamond burr. The lack of choil was an issue for me, though, as my finger kept reaching for it...

The Rockjumper looks like it will be too small for my hands so I haven’t tried it.

The Endura Wharncliffe SE is the only one of your list that I have bought and have kept. It really is excellent.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Jason Paul wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:51 am
Rock Jumper
I like that the blade goes almost to the handle, and that it's a wharncliffe, which I wanted to try anyway. The question here is whether to go with SE or PE. What I've been reading here about SE really sells it, generally; but if I'm already getting the Endela in SE, should I get another in the Rock Jumper? Then again, I've read that SE in a wharncliffe is great.

I also wonder how tall the Rock Jumper is compared to the Manix in the pocket.

Thanks!
Jason
The RJ is a hair taller (top of the blade to top of handle when folded) than the Manix 2, maybe .5mm. It is slightly shorter than the M2. My take is that you will not notice any dimensional differences in your pocket as they are slight. My RJ is super smooth and fits the hand extremely well. Recommended.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Some pictures of my M2 with aftermarket scales and my stock RJ to illustrate.
Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 10.35.14 AM.png
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 10.34.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 10.34.58 AM.png
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

My two cents would be to pick up a K390 Endela and a serrated Rockjumper. Then you'd have a great-sized, plain edge EDC in a high-wearing steel and a tough stainless SE blade for those activities that involve more moisture or intense cutting. I don't have a Rockjumper but they do look great. My H1 Salt fills that particular role for me. And don't worry, you'll eventually end up buying everything you want anyways ;)
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You already know my answer I think.

Caribbean sheepsfoot > Rock Jumper > everything else.

Despite how big the Endura is overall, the Caribbean has a bit more cutting edge at 3.67vs 3.42 but it does so in a smaller package overall.

You could think of the Caribbean as a slightly bigger compression lock Manix 2 without the choil.

Since it lacks a choil and has a bit more blade length overall, it packs a good bit more cutting edge, which I see as a big plus.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I'd recommend the RockJumper in PE. If this is your first Wharncliffe, I think it's somewhat educational from a design perspective to try a Wharnie in PE first to really appreciate how blade shape (isolated from edge type) can radically affect cutting dynamics. I'm a big, big fan of Wharncliffes for their sheer cutting efficiency in utility/workplace settings.

For the second knife, I'd recommend the Caribbean. I'd go for sheepsfoot in SE if you end up going with the RockJumper in PE as one of your choices, and given what you already own.

The Endura Wharncliffe... I'll be honest: I have one but have hardly used it since I got my RockJumper. It's a great knife—don't get me wrong—but for me, the RockJumper can do everything it does, but in a "tidier" (for lack of a better term) package.

I don't have any useful opinions on the Endela as I've never owned or even handled one (the people who like them seem to really, really like them, though).
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i see that evild already responded, but i'll add on to what he said (mostly from things he told me when i was considering the same questions).

the sheepsfoot caribbean isn't a wharncliffe, but has just the slightest amount of belly. it's kind of the best of both worlds. it's not enough belly to slide off of your work, but it's enough belly to give you better slicing action. also, the sheepsfoot caribbean has just a little bit more edge length than the leaf version and the thumb hole sits higher in the closed position (completely clear of the handle vs slightly covered by the handle). neither of those really makes a significant difference, probably, but it helped me make my decision.

i planned on modding. mine like evild, but i haven't yet. i like it more than i expected to as it comes. i think you probably will too. i still may mod it in the future, but it's better for emergency use as it is (which makes it safer, but also more justifiable if someone ever takes issue with me carrying it for some reason).

if you really want to decide if you love serrations on a cheaper knife, i can't recommend the h1 salts enough. my pacific salt made me rethink what i look for in a pocket knife.

most of my edc cutting doesn't require a plain edge. if i ever need a knife in an emergency, i'm going to want it to cut quickly whether my fine motor skills are in tact or not. it will also likely be some kind of fibrous material like a seatbelt or some kind of line or netting (in the water). i also want it to be ready for any environment and be light enough to carry at all times whether i'm in shorts or pants.

all of these factors point to carrying a knife with serrations instead of a plain edge and carrying the most teeth i'm legally allowed to carry to ensure more efficient cutting, as well as to the salt line for great serrated edge retention and worry free maintence. this is why i went with the pacific salt and why i like carrying a lightweight serrated knife so much.

anyway, before getting the caribbean, i carried the pacific salt every day and everywhere i was allowed. since getting the caribbean, i always have one or the other with me and it's hard to choose sometimes. although, i do still prefer the pacific salt when wearing shorts or lightweight pants because i prefer it in the waistband.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

haha... sorry for the book. i hope it was helpful.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SG89

Post by SG89 »

RockJumper or Endela. Low cost and don't have the finger points like the Endura. Could buy all 3 for cost of Caribbean pretty much.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

My vote is for the Caribbean, because it's the most adventurous of them all, and it sounds like that's what you really want.

That said, I think the RockJumper in SE would do you just fine, and is the one I'm most excited about out of these four.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Caribbean just because its a salt.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:23 am

The Rockjumper looks like it will be too small for my hands so I haven’t tried it.

This I don´t understand ?! :confused:

The RockJumper is perfect for big hands, it offers a lot more grip area than let´s say Manix, PM2 and even Stretch 2 - this actually IS a consequence and and advantage of the "handle forward design" without a choil!
Plus: The Rock Jumper even has a rather wide and handfilling handle

See below: Endela / RockJumper / Stretch 1 (for comparison the Stretch 1 offers a hair more grip area than Manix and PM2) - look at how long the grip area on the RockJumper handle actually is!

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Caribbean is an amazing knife, don't have the time for a long response but imo its Sals greatest masterpiece.
Its fantastic in the kitchen too.
I got a plain edge leaf and will get the serrated leaf too.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jason Paul wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:51 am

Endela SE
This one is almost a no-brainer. I'm new here, but I can already see Wartstein's eyes lighting up :) .

How on earth could you foresee that ?! :p :p

/ My 2c:

- Totally NOT objective, just personal preference, and I never even had one: But not the Caribbean for me.
It has a lot to like (size, amount of cutting edge, SE pattern, wide, neutral handle, subtle "hump" on the spine) but like Julia I prefer an a bit lighter knife if I can have it for carry in light shorts, and especially another lock on such a rather large, workhorse knife (a Millie-like linerlock or backlock would be great on the Caribbean) - I´d wait for a possible RockJumper XL, which could be essentially a lot like a backlock Caribbean (I also happen to prefer FRN (Seki knives) over G10 (Caribbean) )

- Also NOT objective: But not the Endura wharncliffe for me. I somehow just don´t like a true wharncliffe shape in such a long blade, but can´t tell you why. It is what it is, in the Endura I´d want the traditional blade shape - and would strongly recommend the new ffg Pac Salt in SE. Essentially a superlight, totally rustproof Endura (someone recommended the H1 Pac Salt SE - cool knife, but comes only in sabre/hollow grind, and for general EDC I´d always take ffg, especially in an SE blade)

- Now to the tough part for me: Endela SE vs RockJumper SE (note: I have a lot of experience with the Endela, but could only handle a RockJumper once and take some pics, never did use one or even just do one single cut!)

Now if I really had to choose: I personally would take the Endela SE in the end (but it would be a tough choice!)
But JUST cause I am one of the not too many who really likes to choke up on the Ricasso (I like choking up on the Ricasso more than on many dedicated finger choils) - and who totally likes the general Endura/Endela handle shape and the "finger grooves", and don´t mind the points between the grooves at all.
So for me the Endela offers a very generous handle that places my hand pretty close to the edge already (closer than with any knife with a choil) PLUS gives me a perfect spot for choking up with the Ricasso.
Some other slight pros of the Endela SE vs RockJumper SE: The Endela has slightly more cutting edge; is a bit slimmer in carry; and the Endela SE seems to have an a tad less aggressive SE pattern than the RockJumper, so the Endela comes perfect out of the box concering its SE performance, while the RockJumper might need some mellowing out the teeth just by a few sharpening sessions (just an assumption though! Never used a RJ!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:13 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:23 am

This I don´t understand ?! :confused:

The RockJumper is perfect for big hands, it offers a lot more grip area than let´s say Manix, PM2 and even Stretch 2 - this actually IS a consequence and and advantage of the "handle forward design" without a choil!
Plus: The Rock Jumper even has a rather wide and handfilling handle

See below: Endela / RockJumper / Stretch 1 (for comparison the Stretch 1 offers a hair more grip area than Manix and PM2) - look at how long the grip area on the RockJumper handle actually is!

Thank you for that picture! I think the perspective in other photos I had relied on must have created the wrong impression, perhaps.

The Stretch 1 is perfect size for me but only when using the choil.