Dear Enablers - Help me decide...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jason Paul

Re: Dear Enablers - Help me decide...

Post by Jason Paul »

Thanks for all of the replies, and extra kudos for the comparison photos.

About the Endela - I just wasn't sure about K390. I'm pretty sure I want to go with SE, and figured VG-10 might be better for that than the harder/tougher K390. Plus, VG-10 seems very well-liked in its own right, is cheaper, and it gets hot & humid where I live.

About the Rock Jumper - I'm still torn between PE and SE. It kind of makes sense to get PE since it's already a wharncliffe; new blade shape for me, only change one thing at a time, and whatnot. But the SE Clan is strong. :)

About the Caribbean - I like the look of the leaf shape better, and of course the pointier tip seems handy (though more fragile). But the look of the sheepsfoot isn't bad (and is growing on me), and I like the shallower belly and lower tip. I'm guessing the sheepsfoot tip is still pointy enough, and is probably stronger than the leaf's tip?

About the Endura - I was actually interested in a Pacific Salt 2 (LC200N) also, but had read enough about blade play and wonky scales that I opted to put the Endura on the list of possibilities instead. I mainly listed the wharncliffe Endura because that's the only SE version that comes in FFG, right?

Thanks again!
Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jason Paul wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:56 pm

About the Endela - I just wasn't sure about K390. I'm pretty sure I want to go with SE, and figured VG-10 might be better for that than the harder/tougher K390. Plus, VG-10 seems very well-liked in its own right, is cheaper, and it gets hot & humid where I live.

About the Rock Jumper - I'm still torn between PE and SE. It kind of makes sense to get PE since it's already a wharncliffe; new blade shape for me, only change one thing at a time, and whatnot. But the SE Clan is strong. :)

About the Caribbean - I like the look of the leaf shape better, and of course the pointier tip seems handy (though more fragile). But the look of the sheepsfoot isn't bad (and is growing on me), and I like the shallower belly and lower tip. I'm guessing the sheepsfoot tip is still pointy enough, and is probably stronger than the leaf's tip?

About the Endura - I was actually interested in a Pacific Salt 2 (LC200N) also, but had read enough about blade play and wonky scales that I opted to put the Endura on the list of possibilities instead. I mainly listed the wharncliffe Endura because that's the only SE version that comes in FFG, right?

Hi Jason,

My 2c on your questions (mostly subjective, and many here know a lot more than I do especially about steels and sharpening)

- Endela: I am like you: I´d certainly take SE, and in SE (!) VG10 over K390, if I had only one Endela SE:
- SE holds an edge a lot longer than PE anyway, so the superior edge holding of K390 is not that much of a factor here.
- SE is easier to sharpen for me on the sharpmaker than PE, but I don´t know how this will be with the very hard K390 (in SE) in regard how fast it will wear out the corners of the sharpmaker
- I certainly WILL get SE in K390 (I guess in the Endura) just to try it out. And just cause I already HAVE SE in VG10

RockJumper: For me SE, no doubt. This will even enhance the "wharnie-power" and capability of this knife (and for me SE is better than PE in most tasks anyway). And: VG10 - perfect for SE imho, but "just" good in PE

Caribbean: If the tip of the sheepsfoot should turn out to blunt for you: Just mod it to a wharnie, like for example David ("Evil D") has done!

Endura: No, the K390 Endura does also come in ffg SE! / And I´d take my chances with the great Pac Salt ffg SE, get one, and if it has excessive blade play just return it. I normally don´t return knives, but this would be certainly a valid reason to do so imho
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jason Paul wrote:

It depends on what you want to do. The sheepsfoot isn't going to penetrate well at all, which is why I modded it. And like you I also prefer the shallower belly and the wee bit of extra edge length over the leaf blade. I wouldn't say the leaf's tip is fragile, I've beat mine pretty hard and haven't had issues, though I also haven't tried to pry with the tip either.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Jason Paul wrote:

Thanks again!
Jason
The answer is the Caribbean. Accept no substitutes.

I have had the PE Leaf, since it came out and have beat it as hard as you could imagine.
It has never had a single issue.

As working knives go, I don't think there is anything better.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the tip is definitely not as pointy. i took a video of me piercing an empty bottle. i purposely pushed straight to exaggerate the lack of a tip. with more speed or force, or a slightly different angle, it would've been even easier.
https://streamable.com/by07ye
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

UPDATE:

Hi All,
OK - I figured I would post an update to this. I hate seeing threads with no closure.

I ended up ordering these two a couple of weeks ago, and have already received them:
Caribbean - Sheepsfoot serrated
Endela - Serrated

I just ordered these this morning:
Rockjumper - Serrated
Pacific Salt 2 - Serrated in LC200N
Civivi Riffle - Pardon the other brand
Dragonfly 2 - Serrated in H1
CBN Rods for the Sharpmaker

For what I ordered this morning, I ordered the first three from KnifeCenter, and the Dragonfly and CBN rods from DLT Trading. I placed the orders within an hour or so of each other, using the free shipping option for each. Just curious to see what ships and/or gets delivered first. The race is on!

Thanks again!
Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

None of those. Buy something that fills a niche that remains uncovered: a Salt, a gents knife, maybe a fixed blade.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

How about the Pm2 serrated? I have one and its great.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Jason Paul wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:10 am
UPDATE:

Hi All,
OK - I figured I would post an update to this. I hate seeing threads with no closure.

I ended up ordering these two a couple of weeks ago, and have already received them:
Endela - Serrated

Rockjumper - Serrated

For what I ordered this morning, I ordered the first three from KnifeCenter, and the Dragonfly and CBN rods from DLT Trading. I placed the orders within an hour or so of each other, using the free shipping option for each. Just curious to see what ships and/or gets delivered first. The race is on!

Thanks again!
Jason
Haha, the old “why not both!” Quite a collection you got yourself. I myself received a bonus from work and was looking at a Rock Jumper or Endela. Have to admit, if the Rock Jumper was a Salt it’s be a slam dunk but as it is, I’m still considering the k390 Endela. First world problems and all; thanks for doing this thread to help guide my own decision!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Jason Paul wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:10 am
UPDATE:

Hi All,

Endela - Serrated

Rockjumper - Serrated

Thanks again!
Jason
You're gonna love all those teeth! Congrats!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
sandi_sp01

Post by sandi_sp01 »

Hello Jason

I suggest buy both Endela and Carribbean, they are great knives

But have you got Para Military 2 ? this is an Awesome Spyderco knife ever. My first favorite is PM2, Manix2, Para 3, Carribbean

Good luck to you always
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Thanks again - yes, I'll certainly be getting a lot of teeth. :) I really don't do much cutting in my day-to-day, but there have been a few times where I went to cut something with my Manix (PE) and it just slid across the surface, even though it was very sharp. In reading here I kept seeing all of the hubbub about serrated edges, so I figured I'd try that; and did so with the Endela and Caribbean, and am liking them both so far. So, I just went full-on with serrated.

I think I may have gone a bit overboard, but oh well.

@ sandi_sp01 - I actually already ordered and received both the Caribbean and Endela, and have had them for a couple of weeks now. :) I agree, they're both great. I've handled a PM2 and liked it pretty well, but not enough to get one yet. Time will tell...

Thanks,
Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW