Spyder Classics: The Bob Terzuola Starmate

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyder Classics: The Bob Terzuola Starmate

Post by JD Spydo »

Now the original, Late 90s Bob Terzuola STARMATE model is a Holy Grail Classic Spyder to many old school Spyderco fans. And it's fair to say that it's one of the most sought after collector pieces of recent years ( the original late 90s version). The Starmate was also another model that really gained a cult following over the years as well like few others I've seen over the years.

I've personally been curious as to what made the STARMATE as popular as it has become over the years. It never grabbed me like several of the other GOLDEN ERA ( 1998-2004) models did over the years. But it was certainly a huge fan favorite among many hard core Spyderco fans. Bob Terzuola also had two other great Spyderco models early on and those being the C-15 and C-19>> they were essentially the same knife design but different sizes. When I owned some of these Terzuola models it always amazed me at what people would offer in trade for any of his designs.

If Spyderco ever institutes a "Hall Of Fame" for their most well loved models this STARMATE model will certainly be a first ballot "shoe-in" for that list.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry_Mott

Re: Spyder Classics: The Bob Terzuola Starmate

Post by Larry_Mott »

AFAIK Bob is still alive? Hope that's just a rumour, about his death!
That said i am glad i have most of his Spyderco designs, they are all dear to me!

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I guess I got that one confused :o But I could have swore that I seen an obituary on him on one of these Forums in the past year or so. Yeah I just checked and he's still kicking. I must just have him confused with another knife designer. I know I need to go to my room now and put on a dunce hat>> just like I used to have to do when I was a kid :o

Well being he is still alive I'm kind of wondering now why we haven't seen anything new from him in a while? :confused:
Last edited by JD Spydo on Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
benben

Post by benben »

Haven’t been there in awhile, but a very well known, huge gun shop in Charlotte still had an original Starmate in their knife case! Not sure if it’s still there today though?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:34 am
Haven’t been there in awhile, but a very well known, huge gun shop in Charlotte still had an original Starmate in their knife case! Not sure if it’s still there today though?
If I could grab that one for less than $150 I would jump on it immediately!!! Like I said earlier every time I had one of his Spyderco Terzuola model I was just mind blown at what people would offer me for trades. He sure has a huge cult following almost similar to what Bill Moran used to have.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Love the lines of the Starmate. I think it is still one of Spydetco’s best looking knives.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The Starmate is the only one of Bob T's designs I have ever cared for. I love the original for its light weight and 440V steel. The rest have just left me cold.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:13 am
Love the lines of the Starmate. I think it is still one of Spydetco’s best looking knives.
Oddly enough, I have the exact opposite opinion about the Starmate. To me, some of the curves on the back of the handle just seem awkward and abrupt. I still own one but it remains one of my least favorite designs I own, in terms of aesthetics.

I also think a number of people today would be turned off by the thickness of blade stock on the Starmate, considering it's thicker than a PM2's blade.

I love the Terzuola Slipit though. I do think the lines on that knife are very nice. It's a beautiful knife, in my opinion!
-Nick :bug-red
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:31 am
I also think a number of people today would be turned off by the thickness of blade stock on the Starmate, considering it's thicker than a PM2's blade.

For sure; I don't think I would use one all that often if I had one. But I think it is a cool piece of Spyderco history. The one from Golden wasn't as thick as the Seki version, was it?
Last edited by p_atrick on Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I've always thought this would be a great one for 3V-carta treatment. A tough beefy hard use folder.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Lots to like about the Starmate. Almost pulled the trigger a few times on the original, but eased off. The blade angle is just too neutral for me.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I love that classic design and still want an atcf (though $1200 for a knife that used to sell at $5-600 is a hard pill);

Would love another sprint of it
blues

Post by blues »

I still have one of the old "440V" versions:

- Retired from the chase -
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

It reminds me a bit of the GB2, which I love.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I almost bought a Starmate about 20 years ago, but ended up purchasing my first Military (440V version) instead. The Military was side by side with the Starmate in the B&M store’s knife case. For me, the Military felt better in hand, even though my original intention had been to buy the Starmate.

I still believe the Starmate was one of the most beautiful Spyderco knives ever made.

Jim
dano

Post by dano »

The original, with its Eccentric Pivot was an awesome knife. The re-issue was blah...
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I had the chance to pick up a Starmate about a year ago and passed it up. Been beating myself up about that decision ever since.