Techno 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
M Sea

Techno 2

Post by M Sea »

I recently got a Spydie Chef and absolutely love it. Carrying a smaller folder along with a larger folder or a small fixed blade is part of my daily carry so a Techno seems like a perfect fit. Looking for any feedback on this knife as I have never even held one. Also any feedback on the cts-xhp would be great. I only have it on my Chap and its new as well. Thank you.
rhaug

Re: Techno 2

Post by rhaug »

I owned one for a while before selling it.

The fit, finish and action is beautiful. It is a wonderful object to hold and to fiddle with. As a cutting tool, the thick blade stock and sabre grind made it not very useful for me in everyday life.

I actually got a Chap (FRN) instead, and that just works for me :-)
On deck: FRN Chaparral

Moved on: Techno 2, SpydieChef

Excited to get: UKPK Heinnie Haynes edition, Lil'Kapara (bring it on! :D )
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

rhaug wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:24 am
I owned one for a while before selling it.

The fit, finish and action is beautiful. It is a wonderful object to hold and to fiddle with. As a cutting tool, the thick blade stock and sabre grind made it not very useful for me in everyday life.

I actually got a Chap (FRN) instead, and that just works for me :-)
Thank you, thats good to know. I recently picked up the same Chap and absolutely love it.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have a Techno 1 and it is a fun little knife. The overly thick stock makes it less useful than it could be. Hopefully if a Techno 3 ever is made, it will be with thinner stock. Much thinner.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:26 am
I have a Techno 1 and it is a fun little knife. The overly thick stock makes it less useful than it could be. Hopefully if a Techno 3 ever is made, it will be with thinner stock. Much thinner.
Thank you, I didn’t even realize the blade thickness until I read the replies here. I definitely like thinner blades where possible. The Chap is so good that way!!
benben

Post by benben »

I've have a Techno 1 that I've had for years, never carry it, but it is one crazy good built little tank of a knife! I'm of the belief that anything can be broken, but you'd have to try REALLY hard or do something stupid to break this little knife!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Techno is a really cool design. But that´s also all what I´d get if for: The cool factor! :cool:

If you have a Chap already I don´t think the Techno can do much for you performancewise
Not only the overly thick stock that got already mentioned, but also a pretty blunt looking tip, and I also figure it will be hard to get a good four finger grip on its handle: Shorter than the Chap handle, but no fingerchoil in the blade..

Still: Really cool model, as said...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I wanted a small tank of a knife but after looking and comparing I bought a Li'l Native. It slices better and fits my hand better, and it is pointier. All around I like the design much better than the Techno. My 2 cents.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

benben wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:57 am
I've have a Techno 1 that I've had for years, never carry it, but it is one crazy good built little tank of a knife! I'm of the belief that anything can be broken, but you'd have to try REALLY hard or do something stupid to break this little knife!
Thank you, it does looks super well built! Little tank.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:08 am
The Techno is a really cool design. But that´s also all what I´d get if for: The cool factor! :cool:

If you have a Chap already I don´t think the Techno can do much for you performancewise
Not only the overly thick stock that got already mentioned, but also a pretty blunt looking tip, and I also figure it will be hard to get a good four finger grip on its handle: Shorter than the Chap handle, but no fingerchoil in the blade..

Still: Really cool model, as said...
Agreed on all points. I think I will pass because I am not a fan of thick blades but it does look really cool.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:37 am
I wanted a small tank of a knife but after looking and comparing I bought a Li'l Native. It slices better and fits my hand better, and it is pointier. All around I like the design much better than the Techno. My 2 cents.
Thats a great idea, thank you.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

If you don't mind a G10 show side Ti framelock, you could check out the Spyderco Brouwer. It has thinner blade stock and is less expensive than the Techno 2, while seemingly having better ergos due to its longer handle length.

P.S. I never got a Techno 2 because I already had an FRN Chaparral.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

mikey177 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:58 am
If you don't mind a G10 show side Ti framelock, you could check out the Spyderco Brouwer. It has thinner blade stock and is less expensive than the Techno 2, while seemingly having better ergos due to its longer handle length.

Thank you, I will give the Brouwer a look. Have never seen one.
Maximumsmoochy

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

If you are carrying a 'Chef, do you want to carry another Ti-frame lock as the complement? It's a little like wearing all denim...

Chap is a great "second", wafer-thin, weighs nothing. It didn't float my boat with respect to enjoyment of use, but it is gentlemanly and eminently functional.

Lil' Native is totally work-a-day, like a pair of steel-toed boots. A good back-up to the 'chef.

The Brouwer is a great knife, functional and elegant, has a great grip to it, nice blade. It can probably handle whatever you give it, it felt a little too nice to really work hard.

For myself, I sold my Techno 2 because it wasn't so practical - then I bought it back again because it complements my practical knives as beat-down tough lozenge of awesome that I can pull out and put away before anyone notices how non-threatening it is. Goes great with the FRN Seki models in particular...
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Maximumsmoochy wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:01 am
If you are carrying a 'Chef, do you want to carry another Ti-frame lock as the complement? It's a little like wearing all denim...

Chap is a great "second", wafer-thin, weighs nothing. It didn't float my boat with respect to enjoyment of use, but it is gentlemanly and eminently functional.

Lil' Native is totally work-a-day, like a pair of steel-toed boots. A good back-up to the 'chef.

The Brouwer is a great knife, functional and elegant, has a great grip to it, nice blade. It can probably handle whatever you give it, it felt a little too nice to really work hard.

For myself, I sold my Techno 2 because it wasn't so practical - then I bought it back again because it complements my practical knives as beat-down tough lozenge of awesome that I can pull out and put away before anyone notices how non-threatening it is. Goes great with the FRN Seki models in particular...
I have the Chap LW and it works great as a compliment to the Chef. I am actually looking at the Sage 5 LW also but don’t like the plain black and the Grey one looks great but Maxamet does not do well down here. Learned that the hard way twice. But like you said, the Chap is great. That was money well spent.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

M Sea wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:38 am
mikey177 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:58 am

Thank you, I will give the Brouwer a look. Have never seen one.

Never had one, but the Brouwer really must be great knife.
"Problem" is of course, if one already has a Chap FRN they don´t need any other knife in that size category... especially performancewise.

But hey, this forum is really not about what one absolutely needs from a practical point of view.. :rolleyes: :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

^ True. If I only bought the knives I needed, I could have stopped buying knives years ago :)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

The Techno 2 is probably an unavoidable disappointment bound to happen for me. Usually when I notice as many "nitpicks" up front, it's not going to be a keeper. Still, with some knives (or things in general) it's hard let go of the idea until I've got one for myself, to verify just how much these nitpicks are really warranted.
The original Techno never seemed quite right for me, I liked the idea of a small titanium non-flipper frame lock, but the blade shape, blade stock, the over-sized jimpings and the lines in general, didn't do it all the way for me.
Then I was made aware of Marcin's second gen. Mouse, and it was just the perfect little big knife. And I was sooo hoping that Spyderco would do a production version of it, cause that was the only way I could ever justify getting one.
Eventually it happened, but the changes applied to the production version vs. the custom, for whatever reasons and whomever's choice, and although small changes at that- they had a very cooling effect on my enthusiasm.
The biggest disappointment is definitely how the clip position lost priority to the lanyard hole. Admittedly the custom clip is also a shallow carry, but it's far better positioned and it would probably be a lot easier to find a suitable fold over clip, or modify one, to achieve a proper deep carry. Also, the change in lanyard hole position causes the blade to not fill the handle quite to the same extent as the custom. That's more of an OCD issue than a real design issue, but OCD issues are a real thing..
Also, the green standoffs doesn't quite do it for me.
All of these are very subjective issues for sure, and not the end of the world, either of them. Really. But at this price point I would prefer that it was more in line with my preferences out of the box. Not only is it quite expensive to get hold of the knife itself around here, but there isn't a domestic ecosystem for aftermarket parts and custom shops either, so if I would want to try another clip or different standoffs/back spacers I would have to resort to expensive imports.

The attraction for me with this knife, beyond that it's actually visually attractive, is how small and un-intimidating it is. Knife laws around here are not very distinct, so if you're carrying, it's better if it doesn't show, and if the wrong person sees it anyway, it's a big advantage if it doesn't appear very useful as a weapon. Deep carry and short sheepsfoot blades are a big plus in that regard.
I'm on the fence, to say the least. Still, I'll probably take the plunge at some point, cause sometimes things just aren't as bad as we make them out to be in our head.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:06 am
The Techno 2 is probably an unavoidable disappointment bound to happen for me. Usually when I notice as many "nitpicks" up front, it's not going to be a keeper. Still, with some knives (or things in general) it's hard let go of the idea until I've got one for myself, to verify just how much these nitpicks are really warranted.
The original Techno never seemed quite right for me, I liked the idea of a small titanium non-flipper frame lock, but the blade shape, blade stock, the over-sized jimpings and the lines in general, didn't do it all the way for me.
Then I was made aware of Marcin's second gen. Mouse, and it was just the perfect little big knife. And I was sooo hoping that Spyderco would do a production version of it, cause that was the only way I could ever justify getting one.
Eventually it happened, but the changes applied to the production version vs. the custom, for whatever reasons and whomever's choice, and although small changes at that- they had a very cooling effect on my enthusiasm.
The biggest disappointment is definitely how the clip position lost priority to the lanyard hole. Admittedly the custom clip is also a shallow carry, but it's far better positioned and it would probably be a lot easier to find a suitable fold over clip, or modify one, to achieve a proper deep carry. Also, the change in lanyard hole position causes the blade to not fill the handle quite to the same extent as the custom. That's more of an OCD issue than a real design issue, but OCD issues are a real thing..
Also, the green standoffs doesn't quite do it for me.
All of these are very subjective issues for sure, and not the end of the world, either of them. Really. But at this price point I would prefer that it was more in line with my preferences out of the box. Not only is it quite expensive to get hold of the knife itself around here, but there isn't a domestic ecosystem for aftermarket parts and custom shops either, so if I would want to try another clip or different standoffs/back spacers I would have to resort to expensive imports.

The attraction for me with this knife, beyond that it's actually visually attractive, is how small and un-intimidating it is. Knife laws around here are not very distinct, so if you're carrying, it's better if it doesn't show, and if the wrong person sees it anyway, it's a big advantage if it doesn't appear very useful as a weapon. Deep carry and short sheepsfoot blades are a big plus in that regard.
I'm on the fence, to say the least. Still, I'll probably take the plunge at some point, cause sometimes things just aren't as bad as we make them out to be in our head.
[/quote

Wow, lots of insight. Thank you. I also find it very pleasing aesthically. I am gonna hold off for now but would love to able to hold one to see how it feels in hand.
Eratus

Post by Eratus »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:06 am
These were my thoughts also on the Techno 2. Im from Sweden and it sounds like our knife laws are about as blurry as yours. I would actually much rather have a certain blade length to follow. Not the justification of carrying like we have now.