Are Military's done?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Re: Are Military's done?

Post by jdw »

kerrcobra wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:04 am
I want a 4V Military. Wonder if St. Nick's is planning on doing this one?

A Military would be my first choice as well but I would buy a Chief as close second and I have a feeling that will be more likely.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

jdw wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:39 am
kerrcobra wrote:

A Military would be my first choice as well but I would buy a Chief as close second and I have a feeling that will be more likely.

I believe they have a contract in place for one but it will probably be months/years before it gets made given the current post-pandemic timelines. The Chief...well...stay tuned. ;)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Funny thing is most websites I look at seem short on C36s atm in Europe, some have even removed them from catalogs for the time being.
Luckily I have one in the pocket and another on the way ;)

After a year I can safely say I wouldn't buy a comp. lock Millie, no matter the steel.
A linerlock in K390, another Rex run or a new SE version now that's something I couldn't get behind of fast enough.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Will K390 be a part or the standard Military line going forward?
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I love my ti/cf s90v so much that I’m very interested in another Millie. Though I feel like a g10 handle would just be lackluster after the ti/cf. I’d probably try it, and I hope I’m wrong.

Edit: maybe a micarta liner lock with a high end steel would satisfy my snobby military needs??
vivi

Post by vivi »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:55 am
jdw wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:39 am
kerrcobra wrote:

I believe they have a contract in place for one but it will probably be months/years before it gets made given the current post-pandemic timelines. The Chief...well...stay tuned. ;)
How long must I wait? :D I'd love to have a 4V DLC Chief for summer.
:unicorn
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Bradley wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:52 pm
I love my ti/cf s90v so much that I’m very interested in another Millie. Though I feel like a g10 handle would just be lackluster after the ti/cf. I’d probably try it, and I hope I’m wrong.

Edit: maybe a micarta liner lock with a high end steel would satisfy my snobby military needs??
I actually sold my Ti/CF Millie after I acquired one of the BBS blue G10 S90V Millies.

Obviously everyone's preferences and experiences are different, but I found the frame lock to be "just" perfectly fine while the liner lock is probably the best on the market.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bradley wrote:

If you've only ever had the frame lock version I think you'd be shocked at the weight difference vs a liner lock version. It's the weight to size ratio that makes the Military stand out.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bradley wrote:

I think a Micarta Millie (and btw also a Micarta Chief) would loose that great weight to size ratio.

From what I read Spyderco does not consider Micarta to be even strong enough for the recessed liners of the PM2, so the Micarta PM2 had to go to full liners.
This certainly means that both a Micarta Millie and - Chief would have to get full liners all along the handle, instead of the mimimal liner of the current Millie and the no liner of the Chief...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:28 am
Bradley wrote:

If you've only ever had the frame lock version I think you'd be shocked at the weight difference vs a liner lock version. It's the weight to size ratio that makes the Military stand out.
Agreed, I have both Ti versions as well as the Ti/CF and enjoy all three but the G10 versions are so much lighter that I prefer them. With the partial liners it is a strong and lightweight design.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
archangel

Post by archangel »

Evil D wrote:
Bradley wrote:

Apart from the weight difference (I didn't even know that the frame lock Titanium Millie was so much heavier than the G10 liner lock versions), what do people think of their frame lock Millies, especially if they compare it with the G10 liner lock? Obviously I'm a sucker for Titanium, so if I'd ever come across a TiMillie (maybe there will be sprints...) I'd be very tempted.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I’d say it is worth trying out a plain old G10 Military (in a fancy steel)... I love both hybrid frame lock versions I have (S90V and M4), but the weight difference is noticeable enough that I often just grab a G10 version if I wear light summer clothes.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I love the peel-ply CF scales of the 52100 sprints. Would love to see a Cruwear or Z-Wear with PPCF scales. And liner lock.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

archangel wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:37 am
Evil D wrote:
Bradley wrote:

Apart from the weight difference (I didn't even know that the frame lock Titanium Millie was so much heavier than the G10 liner lock versions), what do people think of their frame lock Millies, especially if they compare it with the G10 liner lock? Obviously I'm a sucker for Titanium, so if I'd ever come across a TiMillie (maybe there will be sprints...) I'd be very tempted.

I don't own one, and the one time I handled one I was so let down by the added weight I didn't buy it. In some models weight doesn't bother me but I very much like how the Military feels so I'm not looking for a heavier version.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

More Millies! The more the better!
:)
kobold

Post by kobold »

One way or another, I am getting a fluted Ti Millie.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Wow I didn’t even see all the replies here. To be honest the weight of my Millie never bothered me one bit. I like the substantial feel. I’ve got a police lightweight for my pocket sword needs while wearing basketball shorts or similar. :) I wouldn’t be opposed to grabbing a lightweight if I found a sprint or exclusive that called to me. Hopefully soon!
anycal

Post by anycal »

My RIL CF/Ti is only 15 grams (0.034 0.53 oz) heavier than my G10 REX 45. For me, lot less noticeable on a 4.5 oz knife, compared to something sub 3 oz.

Yes, I'm in for a new Military.

Edit: conversion correction
Last edited by anycal on Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Bring the MAGNA-CARTA!

Millie in Larrin’s new CPM-MagnaCut and micarta!
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

anycal wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:42 pm
My RIL CF/Ti is only 15 grams (0.034 oz) heavier than my G10 REX 45. For me, lot less noticeable on a 4.5 oz knife, compared to something sub 3 oz.
Please Bring us more Military goodness! Starting with a Crucarta!

Yes, I'm in for a new Military.
15g is 1/2 an oz (.529) not .034oz but you're right, it's not a ton of weight.
FWIW both designs have pros and cons and I own and love both. Please bring us more Military goodness! Starting with a Crucarta!