Are Military's done?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brj

Re: Are Military's done?

Post by brj »

CXXX wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:40 pm
brj wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:10 am
Hopefully we'll see new variants of the Millie instead of witnessing it's demise. Looking forward to the comp lock although I dearly love my liner lock Millies. All 25 of them ;)
I'll see your 25 and raise you 6 :D
well played, sir :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:06 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:35 am
^ The PM2 IS a pretty small knife......in my eyes anything smaller than an Endura is small.

+1
The Endura is "regular", anything smaller is "small" for a general EDC knife.
I make an exception for the Stretch 1 since it is SOOO great (and actually offers more cutting edge than PM2, Manix, Stretch 2 plus a handle that fits my hand like a tight, but still perfect glove. So not TOO small both in cutting edge and grip area)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

It may come down to sales, maybe it doesn't sell as well as expected.
I remember Rex45 sprint sold-out quick, but KW S90V and 204P took a long time and they got rid of them only after price drop. People have requested new versions/sprints, Military 2 has been talked about for years, a Maxamet version has been requested for years now with no avail...
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:01 am
p_atrick wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:22 am
A few years ago, I got the KnifeWorks exclusive in those beautiful G10 scales and 204p. As soon as I got it, I thought it was way too big for me and returned it immediately. I now have a greater appreciation for larger knives. I'm kicking myself for passing on that knife. Sigh...
Yeah, that release—Maclaren kept talking it up—hooked me on the Millie.

By Friday, I will have the 204P, REX45, 52100, S90V (2008 sprint), and Cruwear versions. The design is that compelling to me. It has simply dominated my pocket-time for the past few years.
So what’s your favourite one Marc?

You’ve got a great selection of steels there.

I love my Lefty model.

I think Sal once said that he’d do a lefty knife every five years or so, and I’m going to hold him to it. :D

I’ll take a lefty version of the Millie in any of the steels you have. ;) :)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The Military is done and we have enter an era of Peace!

The new model is the Peace and it is all handle, no blade.

;)
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:17 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:01 am
By Friday, I will have the 204P, REX45, 52100, S90V (2008 sprint), and Cruwear versions. The design is that compelling to me. It has simply dominated my pocket-time for the past few years.
So what’s your favourite one Marc?

You’ve got a great selection of steels there.

I love my Lefty model.

I think Sal once said that he’d do a lefty knife every five years or so, and I’m going to hold him to it. :D

I’ll take a lefty version of the Millie in any of the steels you have. ;) :)
Ya know, Cambertree, I really don’t have a favorite. Any one makes me smile when I use it, even my current pre-CQI one (soon to be two). All that real estate! All that edge-holding, or at least sharpening-response.

Now, I haven’t reprofiled any of ‘em yet. REX45 and S90V won’t be fun, nor will 15V, if it in fact materializes in a Millie. But, then, being happily retired, I’m not a heavy-user, so reprofiling is not imminent, especially as I find nothing wrong with the factory’s bevel.

Supposedly, I’m left-handed. But I think a Lefty Millie would confuse me. Or maybe I’ve made some Faustian bargain so I can have the variety of steels.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I would love a full serrated Millie to come back please.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Mini2white wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:19 am
In K390, if it's not too much hassle. :rolleyes:
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am a fan. It is Spyderco’s best folder in my opinion. This pic is missing my REX45 and my spare Cruwear.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Mini2white wrote:
I snagged a serrated one a few years ago but honestly I much prefer plain edges... :o

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
archangel

Post by archangel »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:03 am
I am a fan. It is Spyderco’s best folder in my opinion. This pic is missing my REX45 and my spare Cruwear.

The fluted Titanium one, I envy you for this one...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
kobold

Post by kobold »

archangel wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:27 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:03 am

The fluted Titanium one, I envy you for this one...

+2, and also for all the rest of them! :D :D
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mini2white wrote:

+1!

And with a bit shallower serrations than the previous one please... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:37 am
Ya know, Cambertree, I really don’t have a favorite. Any one makes me smile when I use it, even my current pre-CQI one (soon to be two). All that real estate! All that edge-holding, or at least sharpening-response.

Now, I haven’t reprofiled any of ‘em yet. REX45 and S90V won’t be fun, nor will 15V, if it in fact materializes in a Millie. But, then, being happily retired, I’m not a heavy-user, so reprofiling is not imminent, especially as I find nothing wrong with the factory’s bevel.

Supposedly, I’m left-handed. But I think a Lefty Millie would confuse me. Or maybe I’ve made some Faustian bargain so I can have the variety of steels.
I can understand that, my friend. :)

I’d have trouble picking favourites out of that selection too.

Ah, that’s interesting that you’re a lefty. I’ve considered getting a righty Millie before and just removing the clip, but like you I decided against it, as I thought it would confuse my intuitive muscle memory for the Millie I already have.

I have a GB1, and find it ok to use with the righty liner lock. It’s just not optimal for an expensive knife.

How do you deal with the ‘wrongsided’ clip on your Millies?

Diamond abrasives seem to sharpen all steels at a fairly similar rate, I find. :)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:29 am
Ah, that’s interesting that you’re a lefty. I’ve considered getting a righty Millie before and just removing the clip, but like you I decided against it, as I thought it would confuse my intuitive muscle memory for the Millie I already have.

I have a GB1, and find it ok to use with the righty liner lock. It’s just not optimal for an expensive knife.

How do you deal with the ‘wrongsided’ clip on your Millies?

Diamond abrasives seem to sharpen all steels at a fairly similar rate, I find. :)
I think I’m not ambidextrous, just alternately left- and right-handed, such that Spydie deployment (and even stabbing) is a naturally right-sided thing (and not a wrong-sided thing :)), but box-cutting, food-prep, whittling, and other precision-moves (whether pull- or push-cutting) are left-handed (I won’t bother you my alternate-handedness in various sports, or in shooting firearms), all to say, I’m often confused when I’m not actually conflicted. :rolleyes:

My just-arrived unused Cruwear Millie came with a burr. I knocked it down lightly with diamonds, then a quick strop or two. Nice response to sharpening, just like in my Shaman and Manix2. No wonder this steel has so many fans.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
dan31

Post by dan31 »

That Cruwear Military is a sweetheart. My favorite Military, 52100 second place.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:37 am
I think I’m not ambidextrous, just alternately left- and right-handed, such that Spydie deployment (and even stabbing) is a naturally right-sided thing (and not a wrong-sided thing :)), but box-cutting, food-prep, whittling, and other precision-moves (whether pull- or push-cutting) are left-handed (I won’t bother you my alternate-handedness in various sports, or in shooting firearms), all to say, I’m often confused when I’m not actually conflicted. :rolleyes:

My just-arrived unused Cruwear Millie came with a burr. I knocked it down lightly with diamonds, then a quick strop or two. Nice response to sharpening, just like in my Shaman and Manix2. No wonder this steel has so many fans.
Nice score on that Cruwear Millie, Marc. :)

Yeah, it’s a really nice steel to sharpen and use.

Huh, I have the same ‘alternate handedness’, although mine is slightly different in that I generally use my left hand for all dexterity related fine tasks and my right for strength related applications. I shoot right handed too. I generally use most tools lefty, but switch to the right hand for blades over about 10” long.

You have me thinking that I should try a righty Millie in one of the excellent steels that it’s available in, and just remove the clip.

I suppose no one here would like to consider the actual possibility of being limited to just one knife, beyond ‘what if’ scenarios, but the Lefty Millie is one of those models I’d be quite happy to use in that way. It’s so light and balanced and comfortable, and I like the relatively thin taper of the blade out near the tip area.

Wow, there’s some great Millie collections in this thread!

Here’s my ‘collection’ :D :p :

Last edited by Cambertree on Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

How bout a Crucarta Military sprint? I'd pony up for that.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I haven't acquired a Military yet. It's at the top of my list. S110v or s90v BBS are tempting, but I haven't quite pulled the trigger yet. A new sprint would get me
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:08 pm
How bout a Crucarta Military sprint? I'd pony up for that.

I think many people would! I'd hope it was production and not a sprint though.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red