Are you interested in a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If there is a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill, will you be acquiring 1 or more units?

Yes
71%
No
19%
Maybe
10%

Total votes: 142

fatsubie

Re: Are you interested in a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill?

Post by fatsubie »

I would buy Tasman and Spyderhawk in K390.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

fatsubie wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:38 pm
I would buy Tasman and Spyderhawk in K390.
Yeah I could go for those two in K390. I've been wanting to see a Hawkbill blade in a newer/better blade steel.

I would even savor the thought of a G-10 handled Harpy in one of those top notch blade steels as well.

I just recently did a thread asking folks if they would like a bigger Hawkbill than the one the supersteels and it got a modest response.

I wouldn't even object to seeing the old Merlin model done with upscale materials.
kells45

Post by kells45 »

I missed out on getting the last sprint run. I’ve been on the hunt for one since they sold out. I would definitely pick a new release up. I have almost picked up the Tasman a few times but the handle is too small for my hands. If a new spyderhawk version ever is released i think it wouldn’t be for a long time. The seki plant seems to be busy enough with all the new endura family and police 4 k390 models. I may have to get a Tasman just to scratch my itch for a hawkbill.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kells45 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:19 am
I missed out on getting the last sprint run. I’ve been on the hunt for one since they sold out. I would definitely pick a new release up. I have almost picked up the Tasman a few times but the handle is too small for my hands. If a new spyderhawk version ever is released i think it wouldn’t be for a long time. The seki plant seems to be busy enough with all the new endura family and police 4 k390 models. I may have to get a Tasman just to scratch my itch for a hawkbill.
This post alone says it all. Every time that they discontinue the Spyderhawk model it seems like the dealers run out of them quickly and in about 2 years they become extremely highly sought after. Even the nuclear orange handled Sprint Run ran out quickly and now it seems like most everyone is trying to find one.

I could easily say the same for the Dodo model as well as about a half a dozen discontinued Spyderco past models. Since the last time the Spyderhawk was discontinued it seems like several knife users have discovered how great the Spyderhawk is for gardening, landscaping and various other jobs. The Spyderhawk might be a slower selling unit than most of the conventional type models like the Endura, Military and Delica. But its sales would be steady and it would get more people interested in Hawkbill blades.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I would love to see a new run of the Spyderhawk. The only hawkbill I have is the Byrd and I would like to get my hands on a larger hawk.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

samdasnake wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:43 pm
I would love to see a new run of the Spyderhawk. The only hawkbill I have is the Byrd and I would like to get my hands on a larger hawk.
All of Spyderco's Hawkbills have many practical uses and are great for certain jobs ( especially in the gardening area and for fishing/seafaring jobs). But it doesn't stop there. You just have to own one and use one to see what I mean. I carried a full SE version of the G-10 Harpy for years until some jerk stole it from me :mad: . I found it to be excellent for a companion blade.
But the Spyderhawk has even more uses than the Harpy because of it's longer blade length. If people that are avid gardeners or people that work in landscaping would ever discover the great uses for the Spyderhawk it would be hard to keep them in stock. They should look into selling them in one of the gardening catalog/websites like A.M. Leonard. They sell a lot of high end gardening tools there.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I would buy a new hawkbill in a minute if it was the size of he Spyderhawk. I passed on the last version because I REALLY don't like orange knives, even though it's a hallmark field knife color and I have a couple of them. It would be pretty cool to see one in LC200N with the neon green that would be easy to find in a garden, field, etc.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

If they run another spyderhawk I have a small criticism. The orange version had a longer pe tip but it was prone to bending. I would suggest maybe use the smaller tip of the first H1 spyderhawk.
Also I know the orange took over a year to sell out. Definitely didn't fly off the shelves. I purchased about 3 of those in that time period.

K390 PE would be a great sprint. Put a nice coarse finish on the edge. SE K390 would be a dream knife for me.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I'd like a plain edge in S90V. A FFG serrated LC200N green. Bonus for PAC salt 2 grip
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

5-by-5 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:08 pm
I'd like a plain edge in S90V. A FFG serrated LC200N green. Bonus for PAC salt 2 grip
I've always had better results using serrated Hawkbill models. I've asked several people over the years why they like the plain edged Hawkbill blades better. But for what I mainly use knives for I find the serrated Hawkbill models to be great for cutting rope and cordage as well as being a great blade for gardening chores.

I'm with you 100% on an upgrade of LC200N. I think it would be ideal to give people the choice of nuclear yellow or just plain black for handle color selection. Also if they want to make some improvements on the Spyderhawk I would be all for that.

But again it's high time for another run of the Spyderhawk. And I look for it to sell out quickly.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:53 am
If they run another spyderhawk I have a small criticism. The orange version had a longer pe tip but it was prone to bending. I would suggest maybe use the smaller tip of the first H1 spyderhawk.

Also I know the orange took over a year to sell out. Definitely didn't fly off the shelves. I purchased about 3 of those in that time period.

K390 PE would be a great sprint. Put a nice coarse finish on the edge. SE K390 would be a dream knife for me.
Hey VASH is that one of the original VG-10 Spyderhawk models? I still love my three VG-10 models ( one is blue handled plain edge). I love your idea of a serrated Hawkbill with a K390 blade. Or they could use SPY-27 as far as that goes. But I would like to see them use something different for the blade this go-around.

I'm really scratching my head why the nuclear orange edition sold so slowly??? :confused: I don't mind the nuclear colored handles myself for a hard use knife. I think if they offer one in Yellow and Black handles it will go much better I'm sure.

I haven't even used my orange version yet. It's got a lot of sentimental value to me. But I've got several of the other Spyderhawk models in VG-10 and H-1 ( mostly serrated versions). I've heard that the blue plain edged VG-10 is fetching some serious money these days. But I like mine so much I doubt I ever sell or trade it.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I can't find my endura hawk right now. But here's my other spyderhawks.
From top to bottom
SE H1 yellow dyed black
PE H1 yellow dyed black, serrated by Veff
SE H1 yellow back up. With screw construction.
SE H1 orange sprint user
SE H1 orange back up.

One day I'll find a blue spyderhawk for a reasonable price. I'm patient.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:20 pm
5-by-5 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:08 pm
I've always had better results using serrated Hawkbill models. I've asked several people over the years why they like the plain edged Hawkbill blades better. But for what I mainly use knives for I find the serrated Hawkbill models to be great for cutting rope and cordage as well as being a great blade for gardening chores.

I'm with you 100% on an upgrade of LC200N. I think it would be ideal to give people the choice of nuclear yellow or just plain black for handle color selection. Also if they want to make some improvements on the Spyderhawk I would be all for that.

But again it's high time for another run of the Spyderhawk. And I look for it to sell out quickly.
I love this and want more.

I have 3 Harpies, and an orange Spyderhawk. Keep 'em coming Sal.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

VashHash wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:12 pm
From top to bottom
SE H1 yellow dyed black
SE H1 orange sprint user
SE H1 orange back up.

Impressive collection!
How does the Veff SE perform for you in that model? Any real difference compared to :spyder: SE?
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

5-by-5 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:14 pm
I love this and want more.

I have 3 Harpies, and an orange Spyderhawk. Keep 'em coming Sal.

That model looks very comfortable to use.
I've never tried a PE HB and have been considering converting one of mine into PE.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:19 pm
VashHash wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:12 pm
From top to bottom
SE H1 yellow dyed black
SE H1 orange sprint user
SE H1 orange back up.

Impressive collection!
How does the Veff SE perform for you in that model? Any real difference compared to :spyder: SE?
Thanks. It's not as effective as the spyderco SE in my experience. It only cuts on the pull where spyderco SE cuts both ways. It looks cool and is supposed to be easier to sharpen. You have to sharpen each serration individually. Can't just run it across a triangle rod like spyderco SE. It was fun to try and I'll probably keep the knife but it didn't perform like I was expecting. I kinda miss my PE spyderhawk and they don't come up often for sale.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Really? I thought you could sharpen it on the Sharpmaker rods just like any other SE. I think I've seen a video of it, and I've lightly touched mine up that way. It seemed to work well.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

cabfrank wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:07 am
Really? I thought you could sharpen it on the Sharpmaker rods just like any other SE. I think I've seen a video of it, and I've lightly touched mine up that way. It seemed to work well.
I usually would just use my round lansky rod to sharpen them. I think part of the issue is this knife wasn't designed with the serrations in mind. It had to be ground in later so everything is thicker. The ridges between serrations is kinda drastic compared to factory serrated knives. I'm sure I could get by sharpening with the triangle stone but I would usually use the round stone. Again the knife didn't perform like I was expecting so I didn't use it much and didn't sharpen it much either.

Update:
Just tried sharpening with the triangle stone and it works well. The round stone fits in each serration though. So I prefer that for this edge type
kells45

Re: Will the Spyderhawk be available again?

Post by kells45 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:33 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:22 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:23 pm
Hope so. Too good for gardeners to be without.
Excellent for this application. I hope it's not green for this reason. I like green, but I'll lose it
If it doesn't come to fruition, the Matriarch is also a very solid consolation. I love that thing for yard work and landscape trimming. She's a beast!
How does the matriarch hold up for general utility work? I know they have a warning stating that it isn’t a utility knife. Trimming green plants in garden seems doesn’t seem like it would be too much of a challenge for the blade. Have you put the blade through any harder use?
TkoK83Spy

Re: Will the Spyderhawk be available again?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

kells45 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:06 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:33 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:22 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:23 pm
Hope so. Too good for gardeners to be without.
Excellent for this application. I hope it's not green for this reason. I like green, but I'll lose it
If it doesn't come to fruition, the Matriarch is also a very solid consolation. I love that thing for yard work and landscape trimming. She's a beast!
How does the matriarch hold up for general utility work? I know they have a warning stating that it isn’t a utility knife. Trimming green plants in garden seems doesn’t seem like it would be too much of a challenge for the blade. Have you put the blade through any harder use?
I've used mine a few times here and there at work in the warehouse. Works great on things like rope and pallet strapping, not so much with opening boxes, though not awful. The tip can easily penetrate various materials I see on a daily basis, but does tend to get snagged and gunked up with tape.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick