Are you interested in a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If there is a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill, will you be acquiring 1 or more units?

Yes
71%
No
19%
Maybe
10%

Total votes: 142

Dazen

Re: Are you interested in a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill?

Post by Dazen »

I would buy another if it was a premium model.

CF with S90V/ Cruwear / 52100 / K390
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
tnguye21umbc

Re: Will the Spyderhawk be available again?

Post by tnguye21umbc »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:51 pm
If sals watching the thread for demand, maybe the thread title should be changed to something like "Who wants a spyderhawk 2?", or something.

I regret buying only 1 of the orange H1 sprint run instead of buying multiple. It's worth every cent.

If/when it comes out in LC200N, I'll get a few this time. The H1 blade was pretty much insusceptible to rust. LC200N is supposed to be even more improved.

Even if it's not a rustproof steel, I would still buy it. I think the Spyderhawk deserves a better following.

Wish more folks would be interested in such great designs as the Spyderhawk, the Ayoob, etc and that such great designs would be more widely available.
sengel

Post by sengel »

I would love a Spyderhawk. Preferably in LC200N. Heck, even bring back the H1 version.

A Tasman Salt in LC200N would also be welcomed :)
tnguye21umbc

Post by tnguye21umbc »

sengel wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:12 pm
I would love a Spyderhawk. Preferably in LC200N. Heck, even bring back the H1 version.

A Tasman Salt in LC200N would also be welcomed :)

You get my vote there. Even the H1. As I get older, I tend to lean more towards high-visibility colors (easier to find). The orange color plus the fit and finish were perfect. :)

How about a glow-in-the-dark Spyderhawk? :D
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:23 pm
Hope so. Too good for gardeners to be without.
Excellent for this application. I hope it's not green for this reason. I like green, but I'll lose it
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:22 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Excellent for this application. I hope it's not green for this reason. I like green, but I'll lose it
If it doesn't come to fruition, the Matriarch is also a very solid consolation. I love that thing for yard work and landscape trimming. She's a beast!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:33 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:22 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
If it doesn't come to fruition, the Matriarch is also a very solid consolation. I love that thing for yard work and landscape trimming. She's a beast!
The Matriarch might be another model that could shine with a reverse combo edge.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:20 am
I am hoping there will be an LC200N SE Toxic Green FRN Spyderhawk 2 Salt in the permanent lineup very soon. I loved the H1 version and need to track down another, but I do think they should move forward with updating this model to the new Pac Salt 2 handles. Hope to see it soon!

I finally have a new orange H1 Spyderhawk on the way thanks to a fellow forumite! I sold my original one in one of my many knife purges and have regretted it since. Of all of the many knives I have sold this was probably in the top 3 of regrets and one of only a handful that I have re-purchased later on. Glad to have the opportunity to have this one back, and I hope to see the Spyderhawk re-enter the production lineup as an LC200N SE Spyderhawk 2 with the new Pac Salt 2 handle!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:51 pm
If sals watching the thread for demand, maybe the thread title should be changed to something like "Who wants a spyderhawk 2?", or something.
I would be all for amending the title :D But I have a vested interest in obtaining an upgraded new Hawkbill. I'm always in pursuit of a new Hawkbill. Because I actually work with those Hawkbill blades. It's a foregone conclusion that most of us here in Spyderville would have notable "INTEREST" in a new run of the Spyderhawk especially :cool:

If you ever want some entertainment then go pull up my old 2005 thread entitled "Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill". That thread had about 130 pages and about a half a million views :eek: Needless to say there was a lot of intense discussion on Hawkbill blades at that time.

But more than ever NOW IS THE TIME!!! For A New SPYDERHAWK :cool:
kobold

Post by kobold »

It is good to emphasize, it is a tool, so IMHO there is no need for expensive materials. This is where cheap bright colored FRN is welcome and good old VG10, H1, Spy27 or 14c28n will do. Size and serrations is what matters.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

kobold wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:43 am
It is good to emphasize, it is a tool, so IMHO there is no need for expensive materials. This is where cheap bright colored FRN is welcome and good old VG10, H1, Spy27 or 14c28n will do. Size and serrations is what matters.

I agree! Orange or even bright Pink FRN are ideal for this one so it doesn't get lost in the grass. I'd rather not have Green FRN for this reason since I use it mainly for yardwork. The new Pac Salt 2 handle would be ideal for the better bi-directional texturing, better ergonomics, and better clip. And LC200N is not too much of an upgrade from H1, but the ability for it to be FFG is a worth the upgrade.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

this wouldn't be at the top of my list, but i'd love to have one some day. so, i'd like for it to be back in production rather than a sprint or exclusive. i know that's asking a lot though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

I've been lurking for a long time, but I registered just to vote on this... I am definitely in for at least one!
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

I picked up two of the Sprint Models on the last go around and YES I would pick up a few new releases should it come to pass. Fantastic knives in every respect. Zero buyers remorse here. :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I would buy one. I sold the Sprint in orange. Great knife, it was a moment of weakness.
Lonehunter

Post by Lonehunter »

Here’s my two Blue Spyderhawks , VG 10 . My old user and a NIB back up , both just sit in the safe now.... for some reason when I turn the pic it becomes to large to post , sorry .
94CD0E73-8FAB-4940-A260-E1099679EB07.jpeg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Lonehunter wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:38 am
Here’s my two Blue Spyderhawks , VG 10 . My old user and a NIB back up , both just sit in the safe now.... for some reason when I turn the pic it becomes to large to post , sorry .94CD0E73-8FAB-4940-A260-E1099679EB07.jpeg
I have one of the Blue VG-10, plain edged Spyderhawks myself ( a user). Those are getting extremely rare and I'm really surprised that anyone out there still had one to show us.

I haven't seen a blue, PE VG-10 Spyderhawk for sale or trade in quite some time now. It was around 2003 when I got two of those in PE. Even the serrated, black handled VG-10 versions are getting tough to come by. Not to mention the "Endura-Hawk" models ( also VG-10) that pop up on rare occasions. But I'm sure glad you were able to hang on to those :)
Lonehunter

Post by Lonehunter »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:09 am
Lonehunter wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:38 am
Here’s my two Blue Spyderhawks , VG 10 . My old user and a NIB back up , both just sit in the safe now.... for some reason when I turn the pic it becomes to large to post , sorry .94CD0E73-8FAB-4940-A260-E1099679EB07.jpeg
I have one of the Blue VG-10, plain edged Spyderhawks myself ( a user). Those are getting extremely rare and I'm really surprised that anyone out there still had one to show us.

I haven't seen a blue, PE VG-10 Spyderhawk for sale or trade in quite some time now. It was around 2003 when I got two of those in PE. Even the serrated, black handled VG-10 versions are getting tough to come by. Not to mention the "Endura-Hawk" models ( also VG-10) that pop up on rare occasions. But I'm sure glad you were able to hang on to those :)

Thank You ! I was on the hunt for one a little after the run , and I came across one at a knife dealers table at a gun show ,then I found one online so I grabbed that and just put it away . This was at a time if I really liked something I bought two . You know I think I’ll carry my user tomorrow, shed hunting ( antlers .)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:42 pm
Hi Tnguyeumbc,

Welcome to our forum.

I'll watch the thread for demand.

sal

Sal, is there a Spyderhawk 2 in the works with the new Green Pac Salt 2 handle and SE LC200N? If so, can I please request jimping be added to the hump this time around and please keep the dent?

If this is far off in the future, another round of H1 SE Spyderhawk 1's would be just fine! I think people would love a blacked out sprint of this! Or maybe even Orange with a black blade this time? Would it be possible to add jimping for this hypothetical sprint run??? :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:31 pm
sal wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:42 pm
Hi Tnguyeumbc,

Welcome to our forum.

I'll watch the thread for demand.

sal

Sal, is there a Spyderhawk 2 in the works with the new Green Pac Salt 2 handle and SE LC200N? If so, can I please request jimping be added to the hump this time around and please keep the dent?

If this is far off in the future, another round of H1 SE Spyderhawk 1's would be just fine! I think people would love a blacked out sprint of this! Or maybe even Orange with a black blade this time? Would it be possible to add jimping for this hypothetical sprint run??? :D
For me a great idea for a "Spyderhawk 2" model would be to take the original and ramp it up with better materials. First of all move up to a G-10 handle and possibly one of the Supersteel blades like a K390, M390, M-4 or something else in that league.
Also make it available in CE, SE and PE. Also have a Combe edged version with serrations on the tip part of the blade. There are a number of changes/improvements they could make that would really catapult the entire Hawkbill market. Better overall quality with higher grade materials would be the first place to start IMO.