Are you interested in a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If there is a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill, will you be acquiring 1 or more units?

Yes
71%
No
19%
Maybe
10%

Total votes: 142

thewoodpecker

Re: Are you interested in a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill?

Post by thewoodpecker »

I'm in for any variation with the original (Pac 1) handle. Would love to see regular production LC200N in PE and SE.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd prefer the newer handle for a better pocket clip. Unfortunately I've had mine get twisted when it rubs against stuff while in my pocket. The pocket where the clip fits is pretty worn out from this happening. I can easily push the clip to the side now.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:26 am
I'd prefer the newer handle for a better pocket clip. Unfortunately I've had mine get twisted when it rubs against stuff while in my pocket. The pocket where the clip fits is pretty worn out from this happening. I can easily push the clip to the side now.

Oh certainly I would always be for upgrades. It would truly be wise for Spyderco to upgrade certain facets of any of these re-introduced or Sprint Run models. And Spyderco has proven it's business model in the past to always be for improvements.

Newer/better blade steels are always a great idea as well as modifications to a handle is always welcome as well.
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

If I had to pick my most used Spyderco, I would say that it is the one hawkbill I own, a Ladybug H1 SE. I use it in the kitchen mostly, but it absolutely eats any package that needs opening. It's tiny, but still an amazing workhorse. That said, I would definitely pick up a Spyderhawk in LC200N SE or H1 SE if one became available.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Don't forget the Dragonfly Hawkbill and the Tasman Salt. Both are great also.
z1r

Post by z1r »

I just came from the SFO with two Ladybug hawkbills. Would love a Spyderhawk and still have the DF2 on my list of must haves.
kells45

Post by kells45 »

I went ahead and picked up a Tasman serrated when I ordered a pacific salt 2 in lc200n. I would prefer the spyderhawk but this will give me the chance to check out the hawkbill design and compare h1 vs lc200n in serrated. I lost my original pacific salt hunting last year. Hopefully they will arrive this weekend.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

5-by-5 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:14 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:20 pm
5-by-5 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:08 pm
I'd like a plain edge in S90V. A FFG serrated LC200N green. Bonus for PAC salt 2 grip
I've always had better results using serrated Hawkbill models. I've asked several people over the years why they like the plain edged Hawkbill blades better. But for what I mainly use knives for I find the serrated Hawkbill models to be great for cutting rope and cordage as well as being a great blade for gardening chores.

I'm with you 100% on an upgrade of LC200N. I think it would be ideal to give people the choice of nuclear yellow or just plain black for handle color selection. Also if they want to make some improvements on the Spyderhawk I would be all for that.

But again it's high time for another run of the Spyderhawk. And I look for it to sell out quickly.
I love this and want more.

I have 3 Harpies, and an orange Spyderhawk. Keep 'em coming Sal.
Why they never offed this SUPERHAWK model in full Spyderedge is just beyond me. I do believe had this model been available in full SE that it would have sold at least 6 times as many units as it did in PE.

Spyderco needs to seriously consider bringing back both the SUPERHAWK and SPYDERHAWK models. But both of them need to be offered in Full SE. Oh sure they could also have PE units for guys who love PE Hawkbill models. But for those of us who put them through hard uses then SE is what makes the most sense IMO.
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

SE please
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Fharing45 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:07 pm
SE please
The SUPERHAWK & SPYDERHAWK models both in SE would eventually sell out and probably sooner rather than later. There is a reason that Spyderco made so few of the Harpy model in PE. They just don't perform nearly as good as a full SE Harpy does. Or any other Hawkbill model for that matter.

If they would do a Sprint run of the SUPERHAWK in full SE I doubt if they would last longer than a month at the most.
kells45

Post by kells45 »

I just got my pacific salt 2 lc200n de and tasman se in today. I’m definitely liking the hawkbill so far. I’ve always passed on the tasman due to the handle size. I just noticed the delica size handle is longer than the walmart $30 s30v native I carried for years every day. Looking forward to putting the tasman through its paces. I’m looking forward to a superhawk with the e4 handle, I like the tip down capability of the design.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kells45 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:58 pm
I just got my pacific salt 2 lc200n de and tasman se in today. I’m definitely liking the hawkbill so far. I’ve always passed on the tasman due to the handle size. I just noticed the delica size handle is longer than the walmart $30 s30v native I carried for years every day. Looking forward to putting the tasman through its paces. I’m looking forward to a superhawk with the e4 handle, I like the tip down capability of the design.
Of all of Spyderco's Hawkbills in that size range I've always been partial to the HARPY model. The blade is slightly thicker and the entire model is just more rigid overall. I wish so much that Sal & Co. would consider bringing back the G-10 Harpy>> that was my ultimate favorite companion EDC blade for years before some scum dudd stole it from me.

And I would love a Spyderhawk with an upgraded G-10 handle. If I were a serious gardener or landscaper I would like a G-10 handled unit for demanding jobs. I would have a lot more confidence with a G-10 handled Hawkbill>> but that's just my personal preference.
kells45

Post by kells45 »

I usually don’t gravitate to blades of this size due to the smaller handle. I prefer larger handles for the size and of my hands especially if gloves are involved. The spydie hole in the blade is sharp, my preference, so it shouldn’t be an issue opening it with gloves. A g10 spyderhawk with liners would be a beast for sure. I would be in for one or two depending on the blade steel. A se k390 hawkbill would be crazy. Hopefully k390 holds up with serrations
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kells45 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:45 pm
I usually don’t gravitate to blades of this size due to the smaller handle. I prefer larger handles for the size and of my hands especially if gloves are involved. The spydie hole in the blade is sharp, my preference, so it shouldn’t be an issue opening it with gloves. A g10 spyderhawk with liners would be a beast for sure. I would be in for one or two depending on the blade steel. A se k390 hawkbill would be crazy. Hopefully k390 holds up with serrations
Well Brother we need to make that a project now don't we??? I wouldn't object to a K390 Hawkbill and the Spyderhawk would be the perfect model to introduce that steel to the Hawkbill sector of the market. I would have so much more confidence with a G-10 handle. The more I use Spyders with G-10 handles the more I'm ready to settle for those types of handles for hard use Spyderco folders>> fixed blades too for that matter.

For some of the hard use Jobs I've done with my Spyderhawk models over the years I'm kind of surprised that they haven't considered a Hawkbill with a G-10 handle. I've heard some of the Brethren complain about the weight of models with liners>> but seriously I've never let the weight of any folder ever discourage me from buying and/or using one. I actually tend to gravitate to knives that are more sturdily built. Great Suggestion by the way!!
kells45

Post by kells45 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:27 pm
kells45 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:45 pm
Well Brother we need to make that a project now don't we??? I wouldn't object to a K390 Hawkbill and the Spyderhawk would be the perfect model to introduce that steel to the Hawkbill sector of the market. I would have so much more confidence with a G-10 handle. The more I use Spyders with G-10 handles the more I'm ready to settle for those types of handles for hard use Spyderco folders>> fixed blades too for that matter.

For some of the hard use Jobs I've done with my Spyderhawk models over the years I'm kind of surprised that they haven't considered a Hawkbill with a G-10 handle. I've heard some of the Brethren complain about the weight of models with liners>> but seriously I've never let the weight of any folder ever discourage me from buying and/or using one. I actually tend to gravitate to knives that are more sturdily built. Great Suggestion by the way!!
I don’t get the weight complaint either. I’ve carried a benchmade adamas and more recently the afo ii paired with an endura. I didn’t notice the weight after half an hour. However you have to have pants that support the weight I suppose. A spyderhawk with g10 and liners might put it out of the price range for most. It would be a work horse knife. The pacific salt 2 I just received with the tasman doesn’t feel as robust as the pac salt 1 I had. I would be happy with just an frn handle with liners version if that’s what it takes to get it done.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The pull cutting advantages of the Spyderhawk model give you so many options when doing various jobs. But again I've found that the fully serrated model is even far more capable than the PE versions are.

And I'm sure that there are jobs beside gardening and landscaping where a fully Serrated SPYDERHAWK would give a guy huge advantages. But over the years I've found that "Pull Cutting" has many advantages in several types of jobs.
kells45

Post by kells45 »

I’ve already seeing the benefits of the hawkbill design. My wrist stays in a neutral position opening boxes, the end of the blade is the right spot. I cut zip ties and strapping fairly often at work. Serrated is king for cutting those, a serrated hawkbill blade makes it easier for sure. I still prefer the endura handle and blade size but the tasman is work horse. It will tide me over until the stars align and the spyderhawk is introduced again.
max808

Post by max808 »

It seems the stars have been aligning quite nicely for the Spyderhawk to proudly rise from the ashes again... In the meantime I got a generous offer from a member on here for a orange one nib so that will satisfy my urges for the time being. Then there's the Merlin and the Tasman 1 and the g10 Harpy etc... enough white buck to chase for now.
For the record I voted yes 3 times. :winking-tongue
Going by the numbers Spyderhawk launched in 2003, around 2010 came the yellow one and again 7 years later came the sprint run so 2025 maybe? Let's hope I'm totally wrong...
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
kells45

Post by kells45 »

max808 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:08 am
It seems the stars have been aligning quite nicely for the Spyderhawk to proudly rise from the ashes again... In the meantime I got a generous offer from a member on here for a orange one nib so that will satisfy my urges for the time being. Then there's the Merlin and the Tasman 1 and the g10 Harpy etc... enough white buck to chase for now.
Going by the numbers Spyderhawk launched in 2003, around 2010 came the yellow one and again 7 years later came the sprint run so 2025 maybe? Let's hope I'm totally wrong...
Nice score on the orange spyderhawk sprint. I’m still on the lookout for one. Hopefully the stars align sooner than 2025
max808

Post by max808 »

kells45 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:30 pm
max808 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:08 am
Nice score on the orange spyderhawk sprint. I’m still on the lookout for one. Hopefully the stars align sooner than 2025
Thanks, I hope you find one soon, will be my first H1 blade so really looking forward to that.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard