Are you interested in a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If there is a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill, will you be acquiring 1 or more units?

Yes
71%
No
19%
Maybe
10%

Total votes: 142

tnguye21umbc

Are you interested in a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill?

Post by tnguye21umbc »

Q: Will the Spyderhawk be available again in the future? Maybe another sprint run in LC200N (or any steel for that matter)?

I loved my orange sprint run. It was the only hawkbill I had ever had whose blade was longer than 3.5" and ultra sharp. I loved my Harpy too, but it was a tad small.
Last edited by tnguye21umbc on Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Re: Will the Spyderhawk be available again?

Post by JD Spydo »

tnguye21umbc wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:39 pm
Q: Will the Spyderhawk be available again in the future? Maybe another sprint run in LC200N (or any steel for that matter)?

I loved my orange sprint run. It was the only hawkbill I had ever had whose blade was longer than 3.5" and ultra sharp. I loved my Harpy too, but it was a tad small.
I'm 99% sure that the SPYDERHAWK model will be back in the main catalog again soon. However nothing is 100% sure in this environment but it would be a really bad move to totally eliminate a very well loved premium grade Hawkbill model like the Spyderhawk.

However I'm pulling for a higher grade of a Hawkbill blade this next go-around. I would like to see the Spyderhawk made with a new blade steel and possibly a G-10 handle upgrade as well.

I do think if Spyderco could figure a way to target-market the Spyderhawk to the gardening/landscaping sector I think that they would have a problem keeping them in stock. If Spyderco would sell the Spyderhawk and TASMAN both with one of the rustproof blade steels and sell them through a gardening catalog like A. M. Leonard they would catch on very quickly once serious gardeners would experience first hand how great of a tool they are in that type of work. Just finding the right market for the Spyderhawk would be the beginning of a new flagship model. Because if they played their cards right the Spyderhawk would sell itself very nicely.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I am hoping there will be an LC200N SE Toxic Green FRN Spyderhawk 2 Salt in the permanent lineup very soon. I loved the H1 version and need to track down another, but I do think they should move forward with updating this model to the new Pac Salt 2 handles. Hope to see it soon!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:20 am
I am hoping there will be an LC200N SE Toxic Green FRN Spyderhawk 2 Salt in the permanent lineup very soon. I loved the H1 version and need to track down another, but I do think they should move forward with updating this model to the new Pac Salt 2 handles. Hope to see it soon!
I would be on board with that one. Personally I love the "nuclear" colored handles and many of these models. I just had my "Nuclear Green", H-1 Catcherman out yesterday sharpening it. I love those loudly colored handles because it sure makes them easier to find if you misplace one of them.

And yes I would prefer LC200N over H-1>> especially in a PE or CE version.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I sure hope it comes back. I would rather have it than the tasman.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kobold

Post by kobold »

Oh, yes. What can be better than a SE Tasman? ;)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kobold wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:02 pm
Oh, yes. What can be better than a SE Tasman? ;)
The TASMAN and the SPYDERHAWK both have their place and when I'm working in a garden I usually have both models in my touch pouch. But the Spyderhawk will sure do a lot more bigger jobs and more heavy duty work than the TASMAN can do.

But again they both have their place. When the Spyderhawk returned the second time around in H-1 blade steel I thought then it was here to stay. But after a year or so I heard that sales dropped off so they temporarily deleted it. But if their marketing department figures out that those Hawkbills are great gardening tools then I think both models will do extremely well.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:31 am
steelcity16 wrote:
I would be on board with that one. Personally I love the "nuclear" colored handles and many of these models. I just had my "Nuclear Green", H-1 Catcherman out yesterday sharpening it. I love those loudly colored handles because it sure makes them easier to find if you misplace one of them.

And yes I would prefer LC200N over H-1>> especially in a PE or CE version.
When you said a CE version I had a sudden flash that this would potentially be a great model to reverse the combo edge so that the serrations are toward the tip and the plain edge section toward the heel. That way you get the savage SE cutting action once the cut is initiated on the PE section. And, you could use that PE function on the relatively straight heel section for whittling or whatever.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Hope so. Too good for gardeners to be without.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

LC200N and FFG/SE and my bank account will hemorrhage money.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

steelcity16 wrote:
My fingers are crossed for this one, too!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I would love a ffg se lc200n... In toxic green or purple. I think purple in the volcano grip frn would be pretty cool
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tnguyeumbc,

Welcome to our forum.

I'll watch the thread for demand.

sal
tnguye21umbc

Post by tnguye21umbc »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:42 pm
Hi Tnguyeumbc,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

Thanks, Sal... I pray that there will be sufficient demand for another run of Spyderhawk.

Spydie SE serration is best.

Will there ever be a larger version of the classic C08 Harpy?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:42 pm
Hi Tnguyeumbc,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
This is one model that I do believe would sell good in both an economical version ( FRN handle) and a high quality version ( G-10 handle). I'm willing to bet that if the Spyderhawk were available in both edge types with a G-10 handle it would draw a lot of renewed interest to Spyderco's Hawkbill folders.

I've also been thinking that the Spyderhawk or Superhawk models might be good to be considered for a fixed blade version of a nice Hawkbill model.

I'm certain that if a lot of people into gardening and landscaping were to use a bigger Hawkbill blade that they would be amazed at how good of a tool it can be.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Whoa...reverse combo edge?? That could be a phenomenal gp work knife, gardening or otherwise.
Subscribed!
I love all my hawkbills and would buy any full size offering too come.
That reverse combo edge though??!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I can't lie I'm all spyderhawked out. I have my fill for a lifetime and someone else's. But if it came out in G10 I'd probably grab 2. Honestly I wish it sold better for spyderco's sake. It's a great design and doesn't get the respect it truly deserves. If spyderco runs another sprint maybe it'll sell out in less than a year this time.

The only spyderhawk I don't have is the blue Frn one. So maybe do a bluish G10 with SE K390.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Burton Knut wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:08 pm
Whoa...reverse combo edge?? That could be a phenomenal gp work knife, gardening or otherwise.
Subscribed!
I love all my hawkbills and would buy any full size offering too come.
That reverse combo edge though??!
As big as the blade on the Spyderhawk model is I don't see why you could make it available in a combo edge. Not only with the serrations on the tip but to also make it available in the more conventional set up with the serrations on the heel of the blade as well.

You could have it in PE, Full SE, Front Combo Edge, Rear Combo Edge. And believe me each variant would sell quite a few units>> I'm absolutely certain of it too.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I would buy a Spyderhawk in LC200N or H1.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

If sals watching the thread for demand, maybe the thread title should be changed to something like "Who wants a spyderhawk 2?", or something.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."