I took apart my Pheonix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PeanutButterFan

I took apart my Pheonix

Post by PeanutButterFan »

I went ahead and took down my Pheonix mostly for fun. Thought some folks would appreciate to see the inside of the knife.
Attachments
C18B47FE-555F-4D0C-822D-E05ABE289723.jpeg
9E01F5A8-F95B-40A3-AB8A-1012CEBA6F72.jpeg
40258932-3628-466C-8BF3-325D4F29B4FC.jpeg
3E581D98-4820-475E-95DD-28873ED5A528.jpeg
Freediver

Re: I took apart my Pheonix

Post by Freediver »

Really cool to see the inner workings, thanks for sharing. I would surely lose parts of the lock if I attempted this.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Teflon washers??!! 🤯
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

My Phoenix has some bad lock stick. I used a jeweler's loupe to look at the where the lock engages and the tang (without disassembling). Where the lock engages looks rather rough as compared to the rest of the tang. Did you notice anything similar? Also, thanks for the photos. I was curious myself, but am hesitant to take it apart.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Thanks for sharing, I'm always interested in the mechanics of a device.

Teflon washers, or whatever benchmade used in their mini afck, are fine with me. I beat on that knife every day for 15 years and the washers are still fine, no blade play and still smooth as new.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

jpm2 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:30 pm
Thanks for sharing, I'm always interested in the mechanics of a device.

Teflon washers, or whatever benchmade used in their mini afck, are fine with me. I beat on that knife every day for 15 years and the washers are still fine, no blade play and still smooth as new.

This is the first knife I've owned with teflon washers. Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is regarding PB vs teflon. The action is nice and smooth. I don't feel like this is a downgrade or that teflon is holding back this model.
PeanutButterFan

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:03 pm
Teflon washers??!! 🤯
Yep! Very smooth and will never wear out.
PeanutButterFan

p_atrick wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:28 pm
My Phoenix has some bad lock stick. I used a jeweler's loupe to look at the where the lock engages and the tang (without disassembling). Where the lock engages looks rather rough as compared to the rest of the tang. Did you notice anything similar? Also, thanks for the photos. I was curious myself, but am hesitant to take it apart.
Yes, mine has lock stick too and that’s part of the reason I took the knife apart. The area that the ball engages was pretty smooth but I went over it with some fine steel wool just to see if that would help. Unfortunately it did not.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Why teflon washers?

I could have sworn this knife was advertised as S30V, anyway to expensive for my blood and not really interested
archangel

Post by archangel »

Freediver wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:03 pm
Really cool to see the inner workings, thanks for sharing. I would surely lose parts of the lock if I attempted this.

Exactly. I'd be too afraid I'd have to raise a thread afterwards asking for spare parts....

But cool that you did it, and shared the pics. Thanks! Interesting indeed.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:23 pm
Why teflon washers?
Probably what the maker uses. The superhawk and superleaf had Teflon washers too.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Mine has bad lockstick as well, which is really unfortunate considering how much I like the knife otherwise. It opens so smoothly. I wonder if a shorter spring would help. The stock spring seems stronger than it needs to be.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Well, curiosity got the better of me. I took it apart and swapped the factory spring with a spring from a Pilot G-2 pen and the lockstick is gone. I'll play around with it for a while to confirm then I'll be trimming the factory spring.
PeanutButterFan

WRB wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:06 pm
Well, curiosity got the better of me. I took it apart and swapped the factory spring with a spring from a Pilot G-2 pen and the lockstick is gone. I'll play around with it for a while to confirm then I'll be trimming the factory spring.
Interesting. Maybe I’ll try that if the stick persists. How is the fitment of the G2 spring?
WRB

Post by WRB »

The spring is a bit too wide for the plunger head, but not enough that it'll go over it. It sits just a bit canted. Works great, though. I imagine it would last about forever, but I plan to swap the original back after modification. If it were a $5 knife I wouldn't worry about it, but this isn't exactly a $5 knife :rolleyes:

I still get a tiny bit of lockstick here and there, but I can operate the lock easily with one finger now. Before I was using two fingers and it hurt. Now it's a joy. I've been flicking it open and shut ever since I made that last post. It's pretty great.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

It just needs some breaking in. I'm sure a few 100 cycles will work it out and strengthen your fingers too.
WRB

Post by WRB »

VashHash wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:37 pm
It just needs some breaking in. I'm sure a few 100 cycles will work it out and strengthen your fingers too.
If you had my knife in your hands, you'd see how painful that few 100 cycles would be. I don't have weak hands, either. This is an easy fix. ;)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Send it over. I'll break it in for you :D
WRB

Post by WRB »

Haha, had I not done this spring mod I may well have taken you up on that offer! :cool:
paladin

Post by paladin »

I own the first run Phoenix and just took delivery on the red model early this week. I was hyped because my white Phoenix is outstanding.

I am unimpressed with fit/finish with this red one...I'm calling the seller to see if they'll take it back, if not, I will try to sell it myself. After I disclose and detail the sloppiness, I doubt I'll break even.

It's the last time I buy a $315+ Seki City model. Perhaps the last Seki City model I'll ever buy-- yes I'm THAT disappointed with the quality.

*Sharp 90 degree angles on the inside of the handle liners at various "hot spots."

*Sloppy blade/backstrap interface >>> gap.

*G10 looks more pink than red to my eye. It also has sharp edges on the front of the radius.

*Rear pommel is sharply pointed.

*annoying lockstick...the only BBL I've ever had stick.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate