Pochi Lock Failure

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Harkwit

Pochi Lock Failure

Post by Harkwit »

Be warned guys; got a pochi new out of box from bladehq with a non functional lock. It only functions if you flick it hard, and even then it develops really bad lockstick.

I'm hoping this is an isolated thing, but you never know. Video below.

http://imgur.com/a/7xVkve1
archangel

Re: Pochi Lock Failure

Post by archangel »

Interesting. I'll report how my lil doggy behaves once I received it.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Contact Spyderco and then send it in, or send it back to the place you bought it from.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
popplelopolis

Post by popplelopolis »

For another point of data, my Pochi locks up without issue, even with a similarly soft open. No lockstick on mine either.
Harkwit

Post by Harkwit »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:37 am
Contact Spyderco and then send it in, or send it back to the place you bought it from.
That's the plan, returning it to bladehq. I just wanted to warn people in case this wasn't an isolated incident.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I hesitated to post up my experience with the Pochi in the main thread, but the lockbar on mine had so much play I could easily push it fully to the opposite side. “Lockup” was non-existent. I sent mine back in (a CC version), and honestly am not missing it. To have that experience at that high of a price is a no-go. Too bad too, because I love those little guys (the McBee is far superior IMHO). Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is kind of surprising given the price point.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Surprising to see from Taichung maker.
Harkwit

Post by Harkwit »

Friend of mine just confirmed his has the same problem. :(

Here's also another vid detailing the same problem

https://youtu.be/MRUAnEQJ_mQ&t=30s
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

That was exactly my experience with the Pochi, although mine was presumably more like his first one he mentioned where the lockbar just sailed past the blade tang and touched the other scale with minimal contact. The comparison to the McBee is also on point - that little guy is such a little tank of a knife, it’s unfortunate to see the Pochi be nearly the polar opposite (and I was really looking forward to it!). Same for the other knives in that video, all lock up solidly although my Hinderer is of the ZT variety (and none of my ZT lockbars move more than a smidge either, just like Spyderco). Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
archangel

Post by archangel »

Picked up mine literally 10 minutes ago. It has some gritty action. I'll give it some lube treatment later on. If it doesn't get better by just that, I'll take it apart and clean it. Should be no rocket science, right?

Detent is fine, as is lock which grabs the blade at about 1/3 of the way. There's a little bit of lock stick, but still the lock can be released easily (compared to other Titanium locks I own). If I'd be super critical, I could be a bit disappointed, especially given the price. But me personally, I consider this just ok.

The Pochi a gem stone, Titanium feels sooo goood in my hand, and the overall design puts a big smile on my face. I am happy I pulled the trigger! :)

Look how happy he is!
20210317_110400_copy_1651x1238.jpg
20210317_110332_copy_1651x1238.jpg
;)
Last edited by archangel on Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

How are these getting past QC? No lock-up is very easy to check for and I would expect that the lock would be tested at least once before being boxed.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Kyra

Post by Kyra »

I have the same exact issue with mine. Unfortunately I am overseas and it's a pain and costly to send back. I'm not really picky but at this price point, I was hoping for something better. Extremely disappointed.
"If you think nobody cares if you're alive,
try missing a couple of car payments."