Thumb ramp jimping poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How do you feel about thumb ramp jimping?

I require it to be 100% happy with a design
13%
I prefer to have it, but it isn't a deal breaker
42%
I prefer no thumb ramp jimping, but can live with it
27%
Thumb ramp jimping is the devil and I will not buy jimped knives
No votes
Other
18%

Total votes: 55

vivi

Thumb ramp jimping poll

Post by vivi »

Surprised at how many comments there are in the Caly 3 thread about the lack of jimping on the Caly Jr. There was even someone who recently modded jimping into his ZDP Caly Jr. Turned out great, but those posts made me think back to my time with the model. I don't recall ever being bothered by the lack of jimping. In fact I've even thought about removing it from my Street Beat, Izula 2 etc.

Anyways, poll. Where do you stand on thumb ramp jimping?

I voted for preferring none, but I can live with it.

I've never had any grip issues with my Szabo, and having tried two versions of the Street Beat, I can say for certain I prefer no jimping on that design.
:unicorn
skeeg11

Re: Thumb ramp jimping poll

Post by skeeg11 »

Depends on the blade configuration. If there is a hole/hump configuration, then a small amount of jimping on the ramp behind the hump is fine. If the spine is straight and in line with the handle, then I have a definite preference for no jimping.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

If there is actually a thumb ramp then I prefer it. (Under the assumption that it will be spydercos jimping, so jimping that actually works.)
I also prefer it on a finger choil.

If the knife is a straight back design then it just depends on the model. I certainly dont miss it or even want it on my spydiechef. But I think it works well on the native/chief/shaman.

I voted the 100% option but once again thats excluding straight back designs.

Every time I handle a spydie with a thumb ramp without jimping I dont really like it.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I feel like I'm indifferent towards jimping on the thumb ramp but I have definitely noticed that I love the models without jimping on the thumb ramp. Not sure if I'd fit into "prefer no thumb ramp jimping but can live with it" or "other." The Rockjumper is the most recent model that comes to mind. I love the smooth thumb ramp.

The Kahr Arms Delica was the first model that I experienced a direct difference between a model with and without jimping. It was a night and day difference compared to a Delica with jimping but I much preferred the smooth thumb ramp. I've found that jimping causes a hot spot much easier in use.

The Lil Native doesn't have a thumb ramp but gets honorable mention for not having jimping on the choil. I love it without jimping and I would be devastated if that were to ever change.
-Nick :bug-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

All of my many Spydies have jimping and I wouldn't have it any other way. I missed it on the Lil Native, which I subsequently sold.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
R100

Post by R100 »

This is a great question Vivi. It seems like a small thing but makes such a difference to the feel of a knife.

My preference is for a bit of jimping on the thumb ramp but nowhere else. The Gayle Bradley 1 has the perfect set-up for me with smooth choil and frame and jimping restricted to about 12mm on the ramp.

I like the Manix 2 but find all the jimping tedious.

I love the Pattada but sometimes wish it had a little jimping on the ramp. It is an excellent knife for processing small game and roosters but is a bit slippery when wet.

I dislike jimping on a fixed blade because of the hot spots it usually creates in extended use. Your satisfaction with the Street Beat has really had me looking at it but I'm not sure if the jimping would annoy me. I'm one of those people who would immediately buy a Micarta handled version in an uncoated tool steel if that comes off but I hope it won't have jimping.

Dan
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don't have to have jimping, but i like it and prefer it. i'm fine with it not being on the yojimbo, for example, but i love it on most of the knives that have it. the jimping on the caribbean is one of the things i like least about it though. it's like spyderco stopped early and there's not enough to really grab my thumb. that combined with the low rise hump and it feels less locked in to my hand than the pacific salt. i still like it, but i wish there was just a little more jimping on it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

For me, the presence or absence of jimping isn't as important as how the knife locks into my hand based on its design and handle shape.

Perhaps the only jimping that I dislike is the big blocky type with wide spacing that other companies use. It can be a real thumb shredder during extended use.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Big fan of jumping here.
Matus

Post by Matus »

When done well (neither too aggressive, nor slippery), then it is an added value. Not only it can improve the grip, it is also a tactile feedback (especially when the knife does not have a pronounced ramp) so one has a better 'feel' about the position of the thumb of the spine of the knife. As a matter of an example - I like the jimping on the Brouwer.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Not bothered by them being there or not.

Do enjoy the jumping on the Native 5 as just enough and decent size.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As a general rule, I like it, but how much will depend on both the knife and the jimping style. For example, of these three jimping styles, I have a strong preference for the one on the right, can live with the one in the middle, but would prefer no jimping to the one on the left.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Other. I don't think I could be more indifferent here. The right ergonomics don't require any jimping but it doesn't bother me when it's there. On a model like the Rock Jumper where everything else is nearly exactly what I want, jimping or no jimping isn't going to ruin my otherwise positive experience with the knife.

But, I do understand how it does for some people because I have my own very specific deal breakers that are showing up on a lot of new models and I've refused to buy those knives so I get it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Gotta agree with Evil D here!
My preference will switch between the 2nd and 3rd options for each knife, but I don’t need it ever.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
araneae

Post by araneae »

I did a similar poll already:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87771
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I voted other. I would never want jimping on my spyderhawk. I feel it would be useless because I use the knife to pull cut. Jimping wouldn't facilitate any advantage. Also knives used around water. If your hands are wet skin is not as tough as usual. I find the Volcano and bi directional frn to provide good grip along with ergonomics. If a knife is designed well it should lock in the hand without jimping. I don't mind jimping on the P4 or Ulize. I like the old style Dino jimping but it's very sharp and aggressive. It looks good though. On the N5 I don't mind the jimping. Honestly I think my issue is jimping on a raised spine. On designs with a flat spine (no spyder hump) I don't mind jimping. Also designs where I can fully extend my thumb. (p4 and Ulize).

The Kris has no jimping but because of the design locks in really well. Never tears up my pocket either. Forgot to mention that jimping does eat up my pockets because I carry tip up and when putting the knife back sometimes it rubs the jumping against the fabric.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Other.
For me, the absence of the thumb ramp itself is a big ergonomical win. Once it's gone, I don't care about jimping as long as it is not too sharp and aggressive, because there is no ramp stopping my thumb extending past the jimped section.

But with a ramp I am stuck with the 'someone decided for you, that your thumb must go here' design.

Granted, I can extend my thumb past the jimping even on a blade with a ramp, but it feels less secure and controlled that way, elevated above the spine of the blade too much and with a big airgap.

Same reason I only buy rampless Bark Rivers.
Last edited by kobold on Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

It's not that much of a concern. If it has it, cool. If it doesn't, also cool.

I suppose it would depend on the model, when it really comes down to it.

The Cobra Hood is also really nice!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Jimping is an admission of poor design.

I figured that would offend a bunch of people. If the handle is designed well, jimping (as a traction aid) is unnecessary in my opinion. It is more likely to cause a hot spot in prolonged use than to prevent a slip. I'm more likely to be annoyed by its presence than its absence.
kobold

Post by kobold »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:34 am
Jimping is an admission of poor design.

I figured that would offend a bunch of people. If the handle is designed well, jimping (as a traction aid) is unnecessary in my opinion. It is more likely to cause a hot spot in prolonged use than to prevent a slip. I'm more likely to be annoyed by its presence than its absence.
I get it, it is just like with textured scales. Ideally, if the ergos are right, there is no need for textured scales either.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10