Cru-wear TiCN dragonfly exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blnd

Re: Cru-wear TiCN dragonfly exclusive

Post by Blnd »

Wow - pay almost twice the cost of a VG10/FRN example and have the be QC so bad that your only options are to live with it or send it back and lose out on a one off sprint.

F@&! that.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

My main hang up with this knife is primarily that it is extremely uncomfortable to hold. It’s just plain uncomfortable and I would never use it because it cuts into my hand.

The edges of the carbon fiber scales are very sharp on every edge all around the knife. That the liners, lock and spacer don’t align isn’t such a big deal, but not having the scales line up is a deal breaker, and more so because the cf is very very sharp. The easy solution would be to break out a sanding block and belt sander to make all the parts and edges nice and neatly aligned but 1. That would destroy the black metal coating, and 2. I should not have to fix a $168 dragonfly exclusive.

If someone from Spyderco is reading this, I live just down the road from SFO. Is there anything you can do to make this right? If you’d like to evaluate this knife, I’m happy to drop it off...
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Blnd wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:08 pm
Wow - pay almost twice the cost of a VG10/FRN example and have the be QC so bad that your only options are to live with it or send it back and lose out on a one off sprint.

F@&! that.
I bought from GP knives. If I return this I’m out shipping both ways and a 15% restocking fee. That’s a $50 loss. :(
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This knife had disappointing disaster written all over it, based on price alone. I'm sorry for you guys that got models in this crappy fashion. This is typically why I avoid Seki and whatever that Italian place is...just can't be consistently trusted like Golden or Taichung.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Rinzler wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:01 pm
Blnd wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:08 pm

F@&! that.
I bought from GP knives. If I return this I’m out shipping both ways and a 15% restocking fee. That’s a $50 loss. :(
Send it to Spyderco. They probably can't replace it, but they can give you store credit for it.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:23 pm
This knife had disappointing disaster written all over it, based on price alone. I'm sorry for you guys that got models in this crappy fashion. This is typically why I avoid Seki and whatever that Italian place is...just can't be consistently trusted like Golden or Taichung.
Unfortunately, this is why I decided not to get one of these. A bunch of the Seki carbon fiber Delicas had major fit and finish issues, too. I was hoping that Seki had worked those problems out, but it appears they still let some duds slip through CQ. Too bad, because this could have been such an epic Dragonfly. Hopefully some of them still are.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

I've had probably 50+ Seki knives pass through my possession and still own over a dozen with another 5 small ones (dfly hawk, 2 ladybugs, and 2 manbugs) on the way. I have never had a single issue with any of them. Even the 2 St Nicks Delicas, and G10 dflies and stretch I had were perfectly fine. I know there were some issues with some of the St Nicks Delicas, but I think they weeded the bad ones out. Don't sleep on the FRN Seki models. They are all awesome. Definitely passing on this CF Cruwear Dfly though. Too bad.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:34 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I've had probably 50+ Seki knives pass through my possession and still own over a dozen with another 5 small ones (dfly hawk, 2 ladybugs, and 2 manbugs) on the way. I have never had a single issue with any of them. Even the 2 St Nicks Delicas, and G10 dflies and stretch I had were perfectly fine. I know there were some issues with some of the St Nicks Delicas, but I think they weeded the bad ones out. Don't sleep on the FRN Seki models. They are all awesome. Definitely passing on this CF Cruwear Dfly though. Too bad.
That's why I said typically, because that K390 Endela is an absolute masterpiece and exception in my eyes :D
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:39 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:34 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

That's why I said typically, because that K390 Endela is an absolute masterpiece and exception in my eyes :D

That we agree on as it is my favorite and most carried knife as well!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I have a Dragonfly Salt, great knife, great ergos. I paid $60? before the price increase. Its a great knife but no way I would pay $168 for it in any combination.
Johnnyh

Post by Johnnyh »

My Spyderco collection consists of an old Dragonfly, a beat up Snapit that was given to me, a Native 5 LW I recently bought and this:
My opinion on the knifes fit and finish are not worth much but I have gone over this thing obsessively looking for the defects that others have pointed out and don’t find them to the degree others see. Maybe I got lucky or my expectations were not as high as those more experienced but for me it’s all good and I really enjoy it.
But I do agree that at this price point, defective units should not be allowed out of the factory.
I hope I’m the man my dog thinks I am.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

It's possible that a small number of these missed some finish work and we are hearing about it here because it's natural to be disappointed for a fairly high-end item to come out looking rough. I hope everyone gets the situation settled one way or another. It is a nice looking design but as much as I love the Dragonfly series I tend to focus on and carry larger knives primarily these days.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Johnnyh wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:01 am
My Spyderco collection consists of an old Dragonfly, a beat up Snapit that was given to me, a Native 5 LW I recently bought and this:
My opinion on the knifes fit and finish are not worth much but I have gone over this thing obsessively looking for the defects that others have pointed out and don’t find them to the degree others see. Maybe I got lucky or my expectations were not as high as those more experienced but for me it’s all good and I really enjoy it.
But I do agree that at this price point, defective units should not be allowed out of the factory.
The scales match the contour of the liners?
Johnnyh

Post by Johnnyh »

Rinzler wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:36 pm

The scales match the contour of the liners?
Not absolutely perfect but nothing that I can actually feel in use or even notice at a normal viewing distance. Well within my tolerance level anyways...

I hope I’m the man my dog thinks I am.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I was going to argue that maybe our standards have risen because we have seen what kizer/we knives/reate etc can do, but man that cf looks like it was machined with dull tools and no care - come on G.Sakai!