UKPK Salt availability ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Re: UKPK Salt availability ?

Post by Matus »

The shipment must go through customs, let’s not forget that. That step also adds to the price, btw. 😁
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’ve got to stop reading these threads; I never thought about wanting the UKPK before, but seeing this LC200N Salt version, I kinda want one now. I’ll hold off on buying one, though, and may feel differently in a month. But it looks great!

A couple of questions for those who have one: How is the action? I’ve never handied a Spyderco slipjoint. Is the “walk and talk” good? And how solid does it feel in the open position?

Jim
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Walk and talk is equal if not better to any of my GEC's that I've ever had. Far exceeds any Case slipjoint I've ever had. Heck even better to my vintage Old Timers. Hope that helps. Of course referring to the Golden made Spydies; the Italian ones are not as consistently good.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Bemo wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:45 pm
Walk and talk is equal if not better to any of my GEC's that I've ever had. Far exceeds any Case slipjoint I've ever had. Heck even better to my vintage Old Timers. Hope that helps. Of course referring to the Golden made Spydies; the Italian ones are not as consistently good.

Thanks, Bemo! That's is a real help. As of right now, the UKPK Salt is the only Spydie slipjoint I've got my eye on. Also been thinking about trying serrated LC200N.

Jim
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

James Y wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:16 pm
Also been thinking about trying serrated LC200N.

Jim

I really don't think you will be disappointed in the UKPK Salt SE, it is an excellently executed knife.
So it goes.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Good to hear. Mine is sitting at the local Post Office until after the holiday which means Tuesday delivery.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Still waiting on them to arrive here in Canada.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

UKPK serrated Salt along with a K390 Ladybug just arrived. Opened the package with my Manix S110V lwt that I keep at the work bench. Opening was smoothe but not flickable as expected. Upon closing the knife, the half stop was about the most crisp and positive as I've ever seen. IMHO about as safe as a slippie can be made. The FRN was noticeably less bendy than the green FRN on my LC200N Pac Salt. Closer inspection revealed that there was no relief or skeletonization of the interior on the Golden FRN scales.

The height of the bevels on the scallops of the serrations seemed a bit tall so I thought I'd compare them with other toothy Spydercos and Byrds. The most notable characteristic was the size of the teeth or scallops. I have no way of measuring the actual angle of the bevel of the scallops. The Byrd Hawkbill was the smallest followed by the Byrd Cara Cara Rescue 2, the LC200N Pac Salt 2 and then the UKPK Salt. What I found most interesting was the height of the bevel on the scallops. The Byrd Hawkbill was the shallowest. Despite the Sabre grind, being of 2.5 mm stock and smaller teeth, this was no surprise. The Byrd Cara Cara Rescue 2 and LC200N Pac Salt 2 were close, but the Byrd Rescues was slightly taller which is to be expected given that its sabre ground from .125 inch or 3.17 mm stock vs the FFG Pac Salt was from 2.9mm. What's so surprising is that the bevel on the UKPK Salt which is FFG from 2.5 mm stock is much much taller than on all the rest.

I held it under a more uniform light source and WHOAH! Did I just detect a couple glints of light coming from the apex? I thought to myself, "Flat spotting, blunting, rolled apex?" Nope! My Pac Salt and Byrds had striations from grinding the serrated bevel all the way to the apex. Serrated serrations if you will. ;) Not the case with the UKPK serrated Salt. There was a UNIFORM minuscule ribbon of shiny polished metal all along the serrated edge. Sho 'nuff looks like a polished micro bevel to me. My first instinct was to grab some newsprint and receipt paper. BUTTAH! Smooth and almost noiseless buttah! Thank you Sal and Golden Colorado. Unless you're terrified of slippies, I can't recommend this enough and only $89.90 landed to your doorstep.

As for the K390 Ladybug, it looks like it might make a right fine toenail picker. :winking-tongue

Now about that Swick...............
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Skeeg,

Glad you like it. Thanx much for the kind words. We try. I'm carrying one as well.

On those Swicks, my apologies. Our sheath maker is undergoing one of two surgery's and will be detained for a few more weeks.

sal
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Family first. Hope all goes well with your daughter.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

I think it's less entitlement than exasperation at such an ironic situation : a restricted knife being first available on an unrestricted market.

It's wrong to blame Spyderco for that - but there's no avoiding the fact that seeing one of the few knives you can carry being sold where it's least needed, can only be frustrating.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I just look at it as a Continental way of paying a left handed compliment to a Colonial. ;)
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Having a model being called UK Penknife, Spyderco marketing saying it was specifically designed for UK market and not being available for sale in UK, instead selling thru dealers over there in The Wild West, where you can carry your submachine-guns over the shoulder and three Glocks around your waist plus 5 spare 9x19mm magazines just to be a prepared citizen observing his constitutional rights, personally I find it very funny :grin-big eyes

It is a milestone that probably only a company like Spyderco would be able to achieve :grin-big eyes

I presume US dealers sniffed buyer intere$$t/pro$$it for this particular model and ordered and it takes time until this quantity is met and US dealers are satiated, Spyderco delivered there first.

Or perhaps the EU dealers are boycotting this particular model, due to...Brexit :grin-big eyes I suppose ?!

HH will probably not import this in UK until it sells out that mutilated-blade DIY-sanding Urban of theirs.

Seems like Lamnia will eventually bring this over and UK buyers will be able to get this from ... Lappeenranta :grin-big eyes
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:56 pm
This thread deserves another UKPK Salt Pic!!

That looks like a nice discreet hillbilly going supermarket-shopping combo :open-grin
Not sure about the sight though, maybe a TrackingPoint :open-grin ?
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I wouldn't presume to tell Sal how to run his business. I'm just grateful for all the wonderful knives he brings to us and the whole world. The UKPK Salt just happens to be a knife that ALL American and world travelers can use and carry when visiting certain countries with stupid knife laws.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I got mine in today with very high expectations, and man it did not disappoint... out of the box I new this would usurp all my other UKPKs in terms of pocket time so I decided to do a blade swap into my HH UKPK as it's my favourite 'feeling' UKPK, I'm not sure if it's the PB washers, the additional screw, or full length steel back, it's probably a little bit of each. It was a perfect drop-in swap in both directions, both blades were happy in their new homes.

I wanted to do some cardboard breakdown with something similar in both size and blade stock so I went with my Native5 LW SE s35vn, which I think is a very underrated knife in general, I really like it weight wise, so it's what I used in my cutting tests...

I had two identical boxes roughly the size of a "large" u-haul box so I proceeded to rip 'em down to 1 inch strips in no time.... I found them very similar in terms of how they expertly dispatched their cardboard foes... I think the UKPK gets the overall nod in how easy the push cutting was both at the beginning and end of the adventure.

I couldn't help but notice how similar the serration patters were between the two knives....

Anyhow, I'm excited to get some real first hand user time in with this beast, it's going to get a lot of pocket time as my SE/backup EDC as I usually carry a larger PE blade and smaller SE.

I'd give it 10/10 stars man, an absolutely amazing knife in a small package and at an awesome price point. Well done!!!

Cheers,

John
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Nice! I’m twiddling my thumbs waiting for the SE UKPK to land this side of the pond ….
James Y

Post by James Y »

I broke one of my own rules today, and went ahead and ordered the SE version from Knifeworks. When I become really interested in a knife, I normally wait at least a month before even considering buying, but I figured this is a great deal at below $100, and the price will only go up next year. It will probably be my only knife purchase this year.

Jim
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

James Y wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:22 pm
I broke one of my own rules today, and went ahead and ordered the SE version from Knifeworks. When I become really interested in a knife, I normally wait at least a month before even considering buying, but I figured this is a great deal at below $100, and the price will only go up next year. It will probably be my only knife purchase this year.

Jim
Looks like all the stars lined up perfectly for this one. :smlling-eyes
James Y

Post by James Y »

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:39 pm
James Y wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:22 pm

Jim
Looks like all the stars lined up perfectly for this one. :smlling-eyes

So true!
😄

Jim