UKPK Salt availability ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Re: UKPK Salt availability ?

Post by Matus »

I just got a notification email from Lamnia that the Salty UKPK (and also k390 Stretch) are available.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

LC200n UKPK Spyderedge... Spyderco.com... https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C94YL/2086
•• Beau
James Y

Post by James Y »

Received my SE version today. Great knife! Looking forward to trying it out!

Jim
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

James Y wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:46 pm

Jim
Put it through some trials and let us know what you think.

I picked one up because I thought that overall it might prove to be quite handy. Thus far it's proving to be even handier than I anticipated.
James Y

Post by James Y »

skeeg11 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:18 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim

I picked one up because I thought that overall it might prove to be quite handy. Thus far it's proving to be even handier than I anticipated.

Admittedly, I don't have an awful lot of cutting to do at this particular time. So far, I've only broken down a box, and cut up some fruits and vegetables with it. Not much. But this knife cuts like a dream! The blade is thin and the serrations are ground at a great angle out of the box. It's effortless.

For a Delica-sized knife, this has to be the lightest in its size range. I enjoy the "ratchetey" opening action and its half-stop. I two-hand close it for safety; it takes a bit more effort to close than to open, which us a good thing.

Jim
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

James Y wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:33 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Admittedly, I don't have an awful lot of cutting to do at this particular time. So far, I've only broken down a box, and cut up some fruits and vegetables with it. Not much. But this knife cuts like a dream! The blade is thin and the serrations are ground at a great angle out of the box. It's effortless.

For a Delica-sized knife, this has to be the lightest in its size range. I enjoy the "ratchetey" opening action and its half-stop. I two-hand close it for safety; it takes a bit more effort to close than to open, which us a good thing.

Jim
I 100% agree with your assessment. It is a slicey sonuvagun.

Concept, design, execution. All high marks in my book. Normally I don't like finger choils at all....especially in larger folders. I'd much rather have blade edge to handle. In this case I absolutely love the finger choil. It makes absolute sense from a practical and safety point of view.

Closing it one handed is actually kinda slick. With your forefinger in the finger choil, press down with your thumb on the jimped ramp to crack the action. Move fingers out of the path of the blade by grasping the sides of the handle. Place forefinger on the spine of the blade and close rapidly to overcome or kinda bypass the resistance of the half stop. It will become second nature in short order. :smlling-eyes
James Y

Post by James Y »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:30 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:33 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim
I 100% agree with your assessment. It is a slicey sonuvagun.

Concept, design, execution. All high marks in my book. Normally I don't like finger choils at all....especially in larger folders. I'd much rather have blade edge to handle. In this case I absolutely love the finger choil. It makes absolute sense from a practical and safety point of view.

Closing it one handed is actually kinda slick. With your forefinger in the finger choil, press down with your thumb on the jimped ramp to crack the action. Move fingers out of the path of the blade by grasping the sides of the handle. Place forefinger on the spine of the blade and close rapidly to overcome or kinda bypass the resistance of the half stop. It will become second nature in short order. :smlling-eyes

Thanks! I tried your one-hand closing method, and it works, easy as pie! 👍🏻

I also agree with you on this knife’s finger choil. Normally, I don’t like designs that almost force you to use the choil. This is the only knife besides the Dragonfly I can tolerate that with. In fact, I really like it with the UKPK, and as you said, it also makes sense with this slipjoint design, safety-wise.

Jim
TheRandomCarry

Post by TheRandomCarry »

Does anyone know when it’s likely to hit the European stores (specifically the plain edge)?

I saw Lamnia had a few, but no one else seems to have picked them up?
Matus

Post by Matus »

TheRandomCarry wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:33 pm
Does anyone know when it’s likely to hit the European stores (specifically the plain edge)?

Lamnia and altoaner-silber-werkstatt had some already a few days ago - the sold out very quickly. I assume other online shops had them as well.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I haven’t seen the SE in stock anywhere in Yerp. Fortunately a “private importer” saved the situation and mine arrived today.

Wow. Stupid to say it’s sharp out of the box, but by heck it is! Feels lighter than my other frn UKPK too, which is a bonus.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Greedy was I...

Two of them ordered had I...
PE the first one was.
SE the second one was.

PE in stock Lamnia had.
SE in stock arrived yet have not.
Weeks passing by have...

Spyderco send SE to Lamnia still hoping am I...

Help Me, Obi-Sal Kenobi, You’re My Only Hope!
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:20 am
I haven’t seen the SE in stock anywhere in Yerp. Fortunately a “private importer” saved the situation and mine arrived today.

Wow. Stupid to say it’s sharp out of the box, but by heck it is! Feels lighter than my other frn UKPK too, which is a bonus.
Congrats on your most recent acquisition. Hope you like it as much as I like mine.

Quite possibly the sliciest teeth in the Spydie world.
James Y

Post by James Y »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:20 am

I know things like this are hard to quantify, but my impression is that my UKPK Salt SE came the sharpest of any knife I’ve ever received *out of the box*.

Jim
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

The Force is strong with this one, few serrated in stock in Lamnia for whoever might be interested on this unfortunate side of the pond.

https://www.lamnia.com/en/p/59202/knive ... dge-c94syl
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

TheRandomCarry wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:33 pm

Tourangelle: from the title is the dark blue S110V, from the model number and pictures and steel description is LC200N

https://www.coutellerie-tourangelle.com ... 50044.html

Boker also has a date for this:

https://www.boker.de/en/uk-penknife-sal ... 22aba771a6
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

The unimaginable has produced, was finally able to get a pair of these on this God-forsaken Spyderco-unfortunate side of the pond.

The first that were produced were quickly unloaded in the Wild-Wild-West where Johnny Rambos could match their yellow AR15s to their UK PKs and their yellow stilettos.

And much later they reached this land of restrictions and expensive.

This was actually harder to get than sprint runs some years ago.
That makes perfect sense considering Spyderco is probably making more exclusives and sprint-runs than production models, now the production models are the rare and tough to get ones :open-grin

Due to a terrible stage-four stuffocation condition that I am currently having I shouldn't have bought more than one but I
wanted a PE and I could not resist a SE Salt UKPK, also contributing factor was a 15% code from Lamnia :grimace

Unlike the Urbans these are nicely done in Golden. Appreciated.

The way the SE version edge is ground I think there might be some sort of micro-serrations in there, if you reduce the playback speed to 25% I think these might be noticeable at sec 4-5 in this clip

https://youtu.be/tqojndYh1rk

That's probably why SE is that stupid sharp. That probably also means that it will never be that sharp again unless you send it back to the factory for resharpening.

skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Gsg9 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:03 am

The way the SE version edge is ground I think there might be some sort of micro-serrations in there, if you reduce the playback speed to 25% I think these might be noticeable at sec 4-5 in this clip

https://youtu.be/tqojndYh1rk

That's probably why SE is that stupid sharp. That probably also means that it will never be that sharp again unless you send it back to the factory for resharpening.

The striations of the grind on the scallops does not extend all the way to the apex on mine like on the Pac Salt I received when new. The glint of light on the edge was actually a uniform minuscule ribbon of polished metal at the apex......polished micro bevel.
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:35 am
The striations of the grind on the scallops does not extend all the way to the apex on mine like on the Pac Salt I received when new. The glint of light on the edge was actually a uniform minuscule ribbon of polished metal at the apex......polished micro bevel.
Can confirm the polished micro bevel on mine. I am talking about the SE version.
Here are some pics I made with a magnification of 125 taken from the bevel side
ukpk1.jpg
ukpk2.jpg
ukpk3.jpg
You can see two teeth and one wide indentation. Had used the knife already at the time these pics had been created.
The following pic was made from the flat side and with a magnification of 500. It was quite difficult to focus the edge and the quality is not as good, as in the 125 pics, but it was the best I could get.
ukpk4.jpg
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Senfkarte wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:22 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:35 am
Can confirm the polished micro bevel on mine. I am talking about the SE version.
Here are some pics I made with a magnification of 125 taken from the bevel side
ukpk1.jpg
ukpk2.jpg
ukpk3.jpg
You can see two teeth and one wide indentation. Had used the knife already at the time these pics had been created.
The following pic was made from the flat side and with a magnification of 500. It was quite difficult to focus the edge and the quality is not as good, as in the 125 pics, but it was the best I could get.
ukpk4.jpg
Nice pics confirming the serrated micro bevel. A nice touch on what I think is the sliciest factory serrated blade in my arsenal. Surprised more knife nuts haven't picked up on such details.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Both PE and SE available at nationalknives.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds