Would you be interested in "that" kind of Paramilitary 2 (different blade) ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xformer

Would you be interested in "that" kind of Paramilitary 2 (different blade) ?

Post by Xformer »

Since Spyderco recently made the decision to offer the Paramilitary 2 in different blade shape, I thought about a design that would fit my need the most.

Pictures are worth a thousand words, I made a quick mock-up. It's not a final mock-up, since when closed, the blade would hit the standoff and there are still a lot of details to sort of, but the main idea is there.

Blade open :

Blade closed (Still a big work in progress) :

Now the why :

I've always loved the Spyderco Nirvana blade shape, so I adapted it to a PM2 handle. Here are the changes I made :

- The overall size of the blade is 92% of its initial size, to keep the lines of the PM2 clean and smooth.
- At 92% of its initial size, the blade length is also 1cm smaller, because the initial size wouldn't fit in the handle when closed.
- The finish is now satin, instead of the initial stone-wash of the original Nirvana.
- Kept the Spydiehole at 100% of its initial size.

Why a design like this :

In my daily job, my Paramilitary 2 is the knife I take on the field. It's not just an EDC to me, it's my work companion. I love everything about the PM2 handle.

- In my job, gloves are mandatory and the handles fits my hands greatly, even with gloves.
- The great action (compression lock + Spydiehole) allows me to open the knife very quick if I need to (and I often need to).
- It's slim and lightweight, which is always good when every ounces count because you walk close to 20km each day. As a comparison, the Shaman is too bulky for me and weight more.
- The rough G10 finish Spyderco uses provide a solid grip.
- Muscle memory has adapted to the PM2 handle so much, that I can operate the knife without looking at it.

The only thing as dislike about the knife is the blade shape. When it comes to my daily job, I need more than a slicer. The Nirvana blade is probably one of the sturdiest blade I've seen, while still being a good slicer. I think it's kind of waste that Spyderco never used the blade shape for something else, hence my small little project. Taking the best of both world for my need.

I'll also admit that I think it looks very good to me in that form. ;)

I kind of know the forum won't like it, but that's still something I wanted to share. What do you think ?
Last edited by Xformer on Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
soc_monki

Re: Would you be interested in "that" kind of Paramilitary 2 (different blade) ?

Post by soc_monki »

I would 100% buy that. I like the standard blade shape, but the tanto and wave have done nothing for me. This would make it an instant pre-order for me.

SAL! SAL! Make it happen, please!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
benben

Re: Would you be interested in "that" kind of Paramilitary 2 (different blade) ?

Post by benben »

I like it also!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I like it.
Especially the shorter choil which leads to more cutting edge.
I would want to have an a bit lower tip though personally, otherwise blade and design look really good and functional! :)

(And for me ideally all of this in a backlock. Especially for use with gloves as you describe it. My hands might be just clumsy, but with gloves on back lock works better for me than comp. lock)
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

I'm in :)
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

pm2 without a hump? sign me up.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Yes! With some fine tuning, it would be excellent!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

I'm fine with any PM2 blade shape that doesn't change the size or alignment of the hole/ramp/choil. A saber grind would be fine, but I'd prefer something closer to the waved blade shape minus the wave.
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Yes please.
The hole obviously would need to move a bit, but I really like the idea.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I think it looks great. But its not for me.
Ill put up with the bulkiness of the shaman.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I like the blade shape but I'm not sure I like all these different versions. I like the PM2 in standard form
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I hate to be that guy but I would be out on that. In my opinion, it's just stealing a blade from one knife and a handle from another, then mashing them together.

All of the new variations of PM2 have maintained the same thumb rump, choil, and opening hole. It's one of the defining characteristics of the PM2 and it's ergonomics.
-Nick :bug-red
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I do actually like it.
My father similarly has a particular kind of muscle memory or preference for knives (he’s not a “knife guy” just uses them) and needs a very strong blade.
So I understand the want for a knife like your mock-up!
You like the PM2 and need a Nirvana-like blade to use a knife the way you like.

I’m not sure my Dad would like a compression lock as he’s skeptical of the “futuristic”
sort of free-falling action and certain types of one-handed opening and closing.
Just the way he is.

And I’m not looking for that sort of pm2 myself, but again, I understand where you’re coming from I think.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
swigert

Post by swigert »

Love it as well.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like it
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

soc_monki wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:51 am
I would 100% buy that. I like the standard blade shape, but the tanto and wave have done nothing for me. This would make it an instant pre-order for me.

SAL! SAL! Make it happen, please!
This.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:12 pm
I hate to be that guy but I would be out on that. In my opinion, it's just stealing a blade from one knife and a handle from another, then mashing them together.

All of the new variations of PM2 have maintained the same thumb rump, choil, and opening hole. It's one of the defining characteristics of the PM2 and it's ergonomics.
Easy fix. Name it the paramilitary 3.
BAX229

Post by BAX229 »

That's a nice looking knife, I would buy one.
:usflag :respect
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Looks great, but doesn't really fit my needs. The Nirvana blade is a looker, but that blade is just way too thick for my taste and that lowish Sabre grind doesn't help.

Sounds like it would be ideal for your purposes though, and I know there are many folks who like a beefier folder. I bet it would sell.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

I'm very glad people like it overall. I spent a good afternoon on that. :D I've hesitated to post it because the PM2 is very well liked as it is.
Mushroom wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:12 pm

No biggie, I welcome all takes.

I wish it was as easy as mashing two parts of a knife together :p . It took a LOT of work. I still understand your point overall. I like identity in knives and the PM2 as a very defined one.
Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:36 pm
Looks great, but doesn't really fit my needs. The Nirvana blade is a looker, but that blade is just way too thick for my taste and that lowish Sabre grind doesn't help.

Sounds like it would be ideal for your purposes though, and I know there are many folks who like a beefier folder. I bet it would sell.
Yeah, the Nirvana blade is one of the best looking blade shape I've ever seen. It ruined others for me and spoiled me greatly from an eye-candy perspective. Like I said, it's too bad Spyderco never used it for anything else. Maybe it's because they have to pay rights to use it (Rassenti design).

I'm sure it would sell yeah. I bought an Hinderer XM-18 3"5 because I needed that beefiness and sturdy construction. I went back to the PM2 for all the reasons I mentioned in the first post (too thick, too heavy...). The beefiness of the blade is a very nice thing though. I never hesitate to do anything with it, I use my knife kind of rough and it eat everything up. I still have the Hinderer and put it on my rotation from time to time, especially when I know I'll do some very stupid stuff with me knife.

A PM2 with a sturdier blade would remove the need for an Hinderer to me. It would be the ultimate folding knife for me <3
JRinFL wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:31 am
Yes! With some fine tuning, it would be excellent!
I need inputs to improve the design, don't hesitate to offer me some. ;) It's still a work in progress.
Senfkarte wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:48 am
Yes please.
The hole obviously would need to move a bit, but I really like the idea.
Of course, a lot of adjustments are needed. Designing a blade shape is a bit more complicate than I thought. :D