SPY 27 In More Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Henry_P

SPY 27 In More Knives

Post by Henry_P »

Does anyone know if there are plans to include CPM SPY27 in more folders other than lightweight models? I know there is the Colorado PM2 sprint run coming out but has anything else been announced? Perhaps any G10 models?
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
araneae

Re: SPY 27 In More Knives

Post by araneae »

It probably depends on sales and feedback from customers.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I obviously can't say for sure but I would expect to see it in more knives. I haven't used it a lot yet but I like what I see so far. I gave my Manix 2 LW a good work out last weekend when I cut up a few furniture boxes made of thick cardboard. I'm not a good judge of edge retention but it did fine. I really like how sharp it got when I touched it up on the Sharpmaker afterward. Only drawback I see at the moment is price. Hopefully the price will come down in time
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

I imagine the sales are probably going pretty strong considering they frequently go out of stock. I only have SPY27 in the mule team knife and so far I have been impressed with its performance. I have heard good things about its sharpenability as well. Since nothing else has been confirmed, I guess I’m wondering what other knives you guys would like to see in SPY27?
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

At first I read it like "Spy 27 in Mora knives"... :D
Now that would have been an unusual collaboration... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

I personally have not gained too much interested in this particular steel yet as it seems close to S35VN it it's basic properties.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/03/02/ ... -and-more/

So it appears to be a good steel, just something for me personally to get excited about.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Give it time, it'll likely be everywhere soon enough and it won't be long until we start seeing threads asking for "something better than Spy27". S30V was a really big deal once upon a time too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Matus

Post by Matus »

The question is - does the SPY27 offers advantages over S35VN and/or S45VN. Toughness-wise it is somewhere in between and edge retention wise it is slightly below or comparable to S35VN. If it is easy to sharpen to high sharpness and (maybe) brings advantages to the production process, then it could well be the next standard steel in Spyderco lineup. But there are of course stainless steels that can deliver either better edge holding (like m390, S90V or similar) or better toughness (AEBL, LC200N), but no stainless steel available today offers significant improvements in both at the same time, the best probably being Vanax.

Taking one graph from the following article by Larrin:
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/05/01/ ... fe-steels/

I tried to add where the SPY27 (based on the information from other articles by Larrrin) could find itself (the red point) The S45VN would be one of the three partially overlaid points under the Vanax (left to 204P)
SPY27.JPG
So I guess it is fair to say that the SPY27 looks like a fairly well balanced steel close to S35VN and S45VN. The sharpenability might be the most interesting property - and that looks good in that regard: https://youtu.be/qx6fp47xHHA So if Spyderco wanted to bring their exclusive steel, than this looks like a success to me. Who knows, maybe it will replace VG-10 in the future (just a pure speculation with no factual basis).
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is their proprietary steel and I assume they are fairly invested in it. I would expect to see more.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Username827

Post by Username827 »

Still waiting for that Para 2 lightweight that is coming to try that steel out
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have the M2 LW, but I have not used it enough to form an opinion. The knife had lock problems so I have not used it much. I am hoping it will smooth out, but if not I'll have to see about sending it back to Spyderco for a work over. Sometimes the lock sticks open and does not want to unlock. It always clicks and it is much harder to operate than my other M2 LW's. Something is off. So, as I get around to using it I will form a better opinion.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Henry_P wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:08 pm
Does anyone know if there are plans to include CPM SPY27 in more folders other than lightweight models?
I'm sure SOMEONE does. To invest time in material development, branding it with the company name, and putting it in production is a endeavor that a company would probably not take lightly. If I was a betting man, I would put money on our seeing a lot more SPY27 in the future.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:23 am
Give it time, it'll likely be everywhere soon enough and it won't be long until we start seeing threads asking for "something better than Spy27". S30V was a really big deal once upon a time too.
I think at that point (if Spy27 is similar to S30V in any way, with -3 on the number), then we'll have to come out with Spy87 and Spy107. :) 3V would be tough to compete with with the name Spy0.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
James Y

Post by James Y »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:23 am

This is true. Knife afis are a particular bunch. It doesn’t take long for people nowadays to become bored and tired of modern steels that were once hyped. No matter how good it may prove to be, SPY27 probably won’t be any different in short order. Especially if it starts being used as a base steel on a lot of models.

Jim
PaperKnife

Post by PaperKnife »

Maybe SPY27 will eventually take the place of S30V since crucible makes SPY27 exclusively for Spyderco?

The bar on steel performance keeps being raised higher and higher (not a terrible thing) but I’m content with S30V.

Not that I don’t appreciate my M390, S110V, CruWear, etc.
It’ll be interesting which designer will opt for SPY27 vs other choices on the menu....

I’ll be watching :)
Matus

Post by Matus »

They need to introduce the SPY007 steel, but I fear they will never tell us the composition :D
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

I would like to try the steel, just don't see it as an upgrade. Market will decide if it is the must have vs s30v which is the standard. I see 20cv and cruwear becoming very popular, might slot spy27 into the under $100 spyderco market. I would love to see spy27 in the china/seki knife designs. Sal must have a game plan worth putting the money down on an exclusive steel.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I wouldn't be surprised if Spyderco bought S30V in bulk. Might want to run through that before seriously expanding SPY27. But, then again, what do I know about any of this. I'd love to see this steel in some very specific models. It might happen, it might not. I figure at least one of them will. My patience will be rewarded one day.
sal

Post by sal »

There is a lot of time and money invested in the development of a new steel. All before you get to test a piece. You also have to experiment with heat great and edge geometry. So yes, it's a big gamble.

So far, I'm pleased with the outcome. It's more expensive than many steels, but I'm sure you will see it in many more models. Especially models that Eric or I designed.

sal
Systmrcvr

Post by Systmrcvr »

I was just going to make a post asking if we would be seeing the Lil’ Native in SPY27. Seems like a natural progression and it’d be welcome I'm sure in this steel and the blue.