Street Beat Sprint - Let's Get Serious!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which sprint would you like to see?

Micarta street beat re-issue in tool steel
34%
Micarta street beat re-issue in stainless steel
11%
Micarta street beat re-issue in rust proof steel
6%
Street beat lightweight in tool steel
13%
Street beat lightweight in stainless steel
3%
Street beat lightweight in rust proof steel
9%
Street Beat run in a new handle configuration (e.g. G10 / wood / Ti scales)
10%
Street Beat run in a new blade shape (e.g. wharncliffe, leaf, hawkbill)
6%
One of the above options in serrated edge
7%
Some combination of the above (e.g. serrated hawkbill beat with anso style G10)
1%

Total votes: 126

vivi

Street Beat Sprint - Let's Get Serious!

Post by vivi »

I'd like to run a poll for anyone interested in seeing a Street Beat sprint.

I have two different runs in mind

#1 choice: Ranger green micarta scales and uncoated tool steel (Something like M4, HAP40, or K390)

#2 choice: Street Beat Lightweight run in one of the above tool steels (High performance + low cost)

Option #1 would be my personal choice for a sprint. It would be a very special run IMO.

Option #2 would be more economical.
:unicorn
MFlovejp

Re: Street Beat Sprint - Let's Get Serious!

Post by MFlovejp »

I voted for either LW or micarta in a tool steel. I see this knife as a great lightweight option for EDC or outdoors/camping knife and as such I would prefer a lower-cost option. If micarta makes it way more expensive then I'd opt for the FRN. K390 would be awesome.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

Option #1 OD Green Micarta scales and a tool steel like 52100 or 80CrV2 black oxide finish. 3v or v4e would be nice, too. Or CruWear as for me.

Option#2 LW in S45VN or SPY27.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The old black micarta Street Beat was a beautiful knife. I would be open to a sprint with micarta and an uncoated tool steel.

Polished brown micarta and something like K390 would be my choice.
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

MFlovejp wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:49 pm
I voted for either LW or micarta in a tool steel. I see this knife as a great lightweight option for EDC or outdoors/camping knife and as such I would prefer a lower-cost option. If micarta makes it way more expensive then I'd opt for the FRN. K390 would be awesome.
I think FRN / K390 is a practical choice. It would be cheaper than micarta while still offering a big step up from VG10.
Granoo Fink wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:52 pm
Option #1 OD Green Micarta scales and a tool steel like 52100 or 80CrV2 black oxide finish. 3v or v4e would be nice, too. Or CruWear as for me.

Option#2 LW in S45VN or SPY27.
Spy27 LW would be nice to see as a standard offering from what I've read about the steel.
Mushroom wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:58 pm
The old black micarta Street Beat was a beautiful knife. I would be open to a sprint with micarta and an uncoated tool steel.

Polished brown micarta and something like K390 would be my choice.
Brown micarta scales would be my second choice of color if a micarta run happens. While I like black I think a new color would be more appropriate.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

LC200N, definitely a serrated option, definitely in micarta again but maybe other colors or even natural micarta, and I'd even be interested in a skeletonized handle version without scales.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Great poll Vivi!! I voted for both options with a tool steel. It's a great knife and totally underrated design!!
benben

Post by benben »

Yep, great poll and great timing as I’ve been looking at a Forge & Foundry Patch, both are small, similar length fixed blades. The Patch has 80crv2 carbon steel.

A high-viz toxic green (something like the new Salts) with G10 scales, and I’d like to try out 80crv2. It would make a great camping, landscape / yard work, and garage do-all knife!

But.....I just recently got my first knife in M390, I wouldn’t turn down stainless in that either!

Green canvas Micarta in M4 or 3V would work too, I’m easy! :D
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I want a Street Beat LW in K390, but I also voted for an original SB with micarta scales and tool steel. I'd especially love to see a Street Beat LW with an uncoated blade and a tool steel - something that will patina well - like 52100, superblue, hap40, rex45, k390 or m4. I think a leaf shaped SB would be pretty dang neat as well.
--Jeremy
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Yes, I agree with @Vivi, go with the FRN grips (like the Jumpmaster 2). I second the K390!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

I vote FRN because it's more economical, and also micarta Street Beats are still Fred Perrin's specialty.

A K390 FRN Street Beat would be great.
BG-ThatsMe

Post by BG-ThatsMe »

A premium Natural micarta, hap40 or cruwear option with a leather sheath under $200 would be terrific in my opinion.

lc200n/frn with plain and fully serrated options would be really cool too.

What the ****, just produce the frn/lc200n as the next gen after a sprint run of the first.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK I voted for the original Micarta model with some type of "tool steel". It's an option I could really fall in love with. I do have one condition that I would like to add but I've got a feeling that a few of you would want to throw rocks at me :D I would also want it available in SE & PE both just like we lobbied and got with the C-60 Ayoob model.

It's time that we admirers of these old Spyderco models start demanding to go back to what made Spyderco famous to begin with. Now the one big issue is which tool steel we could mostly agree on?

However I wouldn't be opposed to also having a new STREETBEAT model in SPY-27. At least that wouldn't be a bad place to start the discussion.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Micarta, no question.

If it's a tool steel, I'd say M4.

Stainless, LC200N.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

If they can do micarta on the bow river than micarta on a tool steel certainly should be do able . But I'll go with the cheapest way to get a tool steel. Although, toxic green FRN on LC200N coated black would be awesome.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I'd like to see a Street Beat in a wood handle & tool steel.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the idea of micarta in green with K390. I also would like to see some handle options that are unique, such as pine cone, kirinite, corn cob, or white polished G10 with a Spyder inlay.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I accidentally submitted just one vote.
The fact it was an accident is telling.

I was going to choose more!
Functionally (and what I most want), a lightweight Street Beat with a steel that has more edge holding than VG-10 is the best option whether stainless or not. However, the Micarta and satin blades are so nice I’d be lying to not vote for those as well.
Then, of course, serrations will almost always be a request from me.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
R100

Post by R100 »

Micarta and uncoated M4 would do it for me.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

As long as it's Micarta I could deal with whatever steal we get, but I'd love some 52100.