Which steel, edge angle, grit finish and sharpness level are you carrying today?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Which steel, edge angle, grit finish and sharpness level are you carrying today?

Post by vivi »

Like the "What steel are you carrying" thread but more in depth :)

Steel: VG10
Angle: About 18 degrees inclusive bevel with 15 degrees per side microbevel
Grit finish: Diamond sharpmaker rods (About 325 grit IIRC)
Sharpness level: Freshly sharpened.

What's in your pocket?
:unicorn
tonijedi

Re: Which steel, edge angle, grit finish and sharpness level are you carrying today?

Post by tonijedi »

VG10
30 degrees
Brown rods
Still very sharp after working some sticks yesterday
u.w.

Re: Which steel, edge angle, grit finish and sharpness level are you carrying today?

Post by u.w. »

LC200N

Factory edge bevel and edge grind, ~0.019 BTE.
Out of the box it would shave arm hair right handed, but not left handed - I've found that is usually a very slight burr on the non-clip side (presentation side?).
I'm going to let it dull through use, then thin it and sharpen it at 300 grit to see how it does, and I may try 400 grit also.

u.w.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

LC200N, serrrated.
20 degree sharpmaker rod slot on the grind side, burr broken freehand on the flat side.
White rods
Tip sharpened / reground to somewhere around 25 degrees on the grind side to take out a chip.
Tip taken to 1200 grit diamond on the KME I used to sharpen the chip out.
Very light use this week, so still essentially a fresh edge.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

S30V
30 inclusive
800 grit
Needs stropping but pretty **** sharp, one step below hair popping.
(Native Chief)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

CTS-XHP convexed by hand, so no specific angle,to 600 grit with some higher light strokes with 1000 grit to clean any wire edge that still existed. Got it so slicing sharp it rivals the Opinels which are the gold standard when it comes to slicing. The CTS-XHP has a far different quality of cutting ambience and tactile feel. I like wicked sharp and this is voraciously sharp. I pared a pound of green beans against my thumb last night and the blade slid through them like butter in a very pleasant and controlled manner. Shaves wood curls like nobody’s business.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Rex45 (in a Military Model)

Free-handed from factory-edge to convex on Double-Stuff (not yet reprofiled). Don’t know the grit numbers.

Before subsequent uses, edge gets half a dozen passes per side by hand on a Norton Hard Translucent Arkansas “Ultra Fine” Round-edge Slip I’ve used for 45 years (rather than across strops I made for burr-prone softer steels). Don’t know the grit number.

As it did on day 1, edge continues to pop hair.

Just one regimen I follow.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

K390 Urban with a 9dps backbevel finished to 1200 grit FEPA-F Venev OCB, and a 15dps microbevel off the brown Sharpmaker rods.

It barely takes any pressure to cause thick layers of pallet wrap to spring apart and glides smoothly through cardboard.

Also a Superblue Stretch I just acquired.

I measured the factory edge at between 20 dps near the ricasso to about 18 dps near the tip. It felt quite dull with the NIB edge. I didn’t have time this weekend to put my usual edge on it, so I just put it on the brown Sharpmaker rods at 20dps before work today.

It’s sharp, but it feels thick and draggy when slicing cardboard or plastic, compared to the knives I’m used to using, due to the relatively obtuse edge amd thick shoulders of the edge bevel.

I’m gonna grind it at 9-10 dps without a microbevel though, when I have time, so watch this space.
Explorador

Post by Explorador »

Hap40
Factory edge
Stropped at 6, 3 and 1 micron on leather
It goes easily through paper, but does not cut free hanging hair.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Very boring, I am.
VG-10 Rockjumper
Factory Edge
CTS-XHP Chap
Factory Edge
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Steel: 8cr13mov Byrd Meadowlark
Angle: 16 DPS
Grit finish: Mirror polished (finished with 0.5 micron KME lapping film)
Sharpness level: Almost fresh (harpened last weekend and used only a couple of times)
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

To add I never lead with the edge, pushing it into the abrasive, always drag it in a stropping motion. For maintenance a few strops over 600 grit will bring the edge up quickly leaving a durable sharp edge.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

ZDP-89, 15DPS finished to 600 grit and stropped on 4 micron diamond. Gave it a couple of swipes on the strop this morning but I'd say it's a step below maximum sharpness. Pocket lightsaber for sure :)
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

VG-10 serrated, reprofiled on Sharpmaker 30 degree setting on scalloped side, taken through white rods, burr honed off on reverse at nearly flat to primary grind. Push cuts paper along full edge.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Z-Wear PM, 15-17 dps? factory edge, sharpness 6.5/10
PD#1, 15 dps, 400 grit diamond stone, 14 micron diamond strop on wood, 4,1.5, and 0.5 micron CBN on leather, sharpness 8/10
Cemented tungsten carbide, 18.5 dps, 0.5 micron diamond polished, sharpness 10/10
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

VG-10 Wharncliffe Dragonfly

20 degrees inclusive +or-

Stropped on 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Burr removed on Brown Sharpmaker stones.

Fresh edge.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Dragonfly Salt, PE H1
40 inclusive
Brown rods.
Hair popping sharp, as usual for H1
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

LC200N
4 degree bevel (probably around 6 degrees inclusive) blended down into 15 with a 20 degree micro bevel
CBN grit at most of the bevel until brown/fine/UF grit progression at the edge
Recently sharpened
Last edited by Evil D on Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

VG-10
15 dps
Med+fine Sharpmaker
Can cut through 18.5 g/m2 tobacco rolling paper without effort (when this happens, I'm satisfied)
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

52100 pm2
Blue dmt stone 325
Sharpened freehand at about 17°
Gives me nice gritty edge that cuts deep