Spyderco "Hyker"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zive

Re: Spyderco "Hyker"

Post by Zive »

Congrats on a job well done. Looks beautiful (actually thought you had swapped in a UKPK drop point blade when I first glimpsed it) and your photos really make the handle color pop.

Please keep us all posted with your impressions.

Cheers
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Zive wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:52 pm
Congrats on a job well done. Looks beautiful (actually thought you had swapped in a UKPK drop point blade when I first glimpsed it) and your photos really make the handle color pop.

Please keep us all posted with your impressions.

Cheers
Hi Zive,

Thank you very much for the kind words. Yes, I will update as I get more time with it.

u.w.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

That’s a great looking knife and wonderful photos.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Nice mods! I always love to see examples of people personalizing knives and making them truly their own. Well done!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

[Posted this in the "Salt 2 ffg.....2-thread already, but actually this is the better thread for it. So just copy and paste... ;]

Hey U.W,,

sorry for the late and short reaction - having computer problems currently (something with the graphics - can´t even really see what I am typing... :o )

/ Nice mod!! :)

And actually shows perfectly one of the things tried to transport when starting [the Salt 2 "perfect u.l. hiking knife] thread:
That the Salt ffg LC200N models perhaps would be a good chance for Spyderco to put the marketing focus more and also more explicitly on the ultralight - and hiking crowd, additionally to pointing out the "Salt"-qualities.
Perhaps the best way for them do so so would be to make a slightly differing model of the Salt 2 ffg (blade shape, like yours or wire clip insted of spoon clip ;or even just a different color and call it something like your "Hyker"!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Nice mod. It looks good and at 1.79 oz it will not weigh you down. Perhaps Spyderco should make this knife? it is a simple mod.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

Nicely done!
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Lovely shape!
Bonus that it’s so light!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Matus

Post by Matus »

You did a very nice job - love the new spine profile (I am in the same camp as you on spine profiles of the knives you mentioned). However I would tend to carry a LITTLE more strongly build blade for outdoor trips (I am saying that without having a chance to handle this particular knife though).

LC200N should have edge retention close to BD1N or AEBL (at around 62 HRC), so pretty OK - while having a very good toughness (between Cruwear and 3V), so sounds like a steel very much suitable for EDC and outdoor trips.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

spoonrobot wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:45 pm
That’s a great looking knife and wonderful photos.
gundamaniac wrote: Nice mods! I always love to see examples of people personalizing knives and making them truly their own. Well done!

HUGE Thank You to both of you! Means a lot
Wartstein wrote: [Posted this in the "Salt 2 ffg.....2-thread already, but actually this is the better thread for it. So just copy and paste... ;]

Nice mod!! :)

And actually shows perfectly one of the things tried to transport when starting [the Salt 2 "perfect u.l. hiking knife] thread:
That the Salt ffg LC200N models perhaps would be a good chance for Spyderco to put the marketing focus more and also more explicitly on the ultralight - and hiking crowd, additionally to pointing out the "Salt"-qualities.
Perhaps the best way for them do so so would be to make a slightly differing model of the Salt 2 ffg (blade shape, like yours or wire clip insted of spoon clip ;or even just a different color and call it something like your "Hyker"!
I replied to your post in the other thread, as I checked it first today. Agreed though, this is likely the better thread for the discussion.

Thank you also, for your kind words, and starting that thread

Doc Dan wrote: Nice mod. It looks good and at 1.79 oz it will not weigh you down. Perhaps Spyderco should make this knife? it is a simple mod.
Thank you! Yes, this weight, for this size knife w/ big thumb hole & locking blade, is amazing - to me. No, I don't think it's going to weigh anyone down.

I do feel that this is a knife that perhaps Spyderco should bring to market, which is why I have been subtlety mentioning it for so long now, and have now started this thread.
As to it being a simple mod, I know a guy who has already made the blade shape and can provide it as an example if that would help :D
I would hope to get it back, or a replacement, as I absolutely plan on carrying this knife on my hikes, both day hikes (30 miles or less), and long distance hikes. Of course I'll EDC it too, fwiw... but it's niche for me, is long distance hiking.

KnOeFz wrote:Nicely done!
Thank You KnOeFz!

u.w.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Cl1ff wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:58 am
Lovely shape!
Bonus that it’s so light!
Thank You! I do prefer the blade shape for sure; and yes, it's light weight is a big bonus.
Matus wrote: You did a very nice job - love the new spine profile (I am in the same camp as you on spine profiles of the knives you mentioned). However I would tend to carry a LITTLE more strongly build blade for outdoor trips (I am saying that without having a chance to handle this particular knife though).

LC200N should have edge retention close to BD1N or AEBL (at around 62 HRC), so pretty OK - while having a very good toughness (between Cruwear and 3V), so sounds like a steel very much suitable for EDC and outdoor trips.
Thank you very much Matus.

I will say that in my own use, personal experiences, across literally thousands of miles of trails in woods and across mountains, I have not ever found myself requiring even a little more strongly built blade. My modified drop point Delica's (Hyker protos?) I carried for all of that worked amazingly well for every task I put them to.

I hope you're right on the blade steel. I am very excited and happy about it for sure.

u.w.
przemekspce

Post by przemekspce »

I like it! The blade looks great :)
:bug-red-white Instagram: przemekspce :bug-red
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

przemekspce wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:07 am
I like it! The blade looks great :)
Thank you przemekspce. It is great :)

I've been using it for a day now, for simple "EDC" stuff (opened two bags of chips, one envelope, cut up one small cardboard box, and prepared my salad yesterday), and it did/does them all exceptionally, and with ease.

u.w.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:40 am
Nice job with the reprofiling of the blade silhouette. It looks very smooth.

I've heard various takes on LC200N's edge retention vs. VG-10, some saying equivalent, some saying one or the other takes the lead. I'd be curious to see some testing. Maybe there's data out there I'm not aware of. VG-10 tends to get a bad rap.
I posted my initial impressions some time ago with a LC200N Mule and felt it was about VG-10 or a bit better with edge holding based on a cardboard project I had worked on. I was pummeled by the momentum of the LC200N lovers for saying such. Maybe I'm not so crazy after all!!! :D

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:18 am
TenGrainBread wrote:

I've heard various takes on LC200N's edge retention vs. VG-10, some saying equivalent, some saying one or the other takes the lead. I'd be curious to see some testing. Maybe there's data out there I'm not aware of. VG-10 tends to get a bad rap.
I posted my initial impressions some time ago with a LC200N Mule and felt it was about VG-10 or a bit better with edge holding based on a cardboard project I had worked on. I was pummeled by the momentum of the LC200N lovers for saying such. Maybe I'm not so crazy after all!!! :D

CG
i like lc, and initially praised it pretty highly. i made comments about it being equal to s30v. after some more experience, i have to admit it's not as good as s30v. it does sharpen easier though and i still like it. at this point, i think i'm happier with se h1 instead though. i need to test it on a thinner pe knife though. my only experiences are with the pe native salt and se sheepsfoot caribbean. if they do these in all black, i may pick up a pe.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cycleguy wrote:
TenGrainBread wrote:

CG

Well, Larrins charts put LC200N below VG10 in edge retention as far as I recall...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

Nice work on the blade. I just got one in SE. Been waiting on this awhile. Close to the perfect EDC for me. Very light, SE in FFG, which is ideal. The build quality is exceptional. My Delica's will be taking a backseat.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:57 am
cycleguy wrote:
TenGrainBread wrote:

CG
i like lc, and initially praised it pretty highly. i made comments about it being equal to s30v. after some more experience, i have to admit it's not as good as s30v. it does sharpen easier though and i still like it. at this point, i think i'm happier with se h1 instead though. i need to test it on a thinner pe knife though. my only experiences are with the pe native salt and se sheepsfoot caribbean. if they do these in all black, i may pick up a pe.
Why are you happier with SE H1? I am curious because I do not have any LC200N at present and my only H1 se is a Dragonfly Salt. It does do pretty well at edge retention, but I have not had to sharpen it much yet.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

cycleguy wrote:

CG
I personally look forward to seeing how it (LC200N) does for me, in my uses. I love seeing folks doing testing, and sharing that data.
Though I didn't see your post on your initial impressions with the LC200N, I don't question or doubt what you did, or the results you got. Thank you for bringing it up here, otherwise I might not have ever been aware.
ladybug93 wrote: i like lc, and initially praised it pretty highly. i made comments about it being equal to s30v. after some more experience, i have to admit it's not as good as s30v. it does sharpen easier though and i still like it. at this point, i think i'm happier with se h1 instead though. i need to test it on a thinner pe knife though. my only experiences are with the pe native salt and se sheepsfoot caribbean. if they do these in all black, i may pick up a pe.
I saw a video, some time ago now, where Pete (of Cedric & Ada youtube) posted one of his rope cut test with his Spydie Chef, which has a LC200N blade. As I recall, he reported more or less what your initial comments were. That being it was right around S30V.
What I can say so far is, for my "edc" use, it seem just fine. From my re-shaping and then hand sanding off all the scratches on the spine until there were zero scratch marks and it was oh-so-smooth... It was noticeably easier/faster to do that on this LC200N blade, than it has been on the numerous VG-10 blades I've done in the past... Also, on the belt sander - very few orange "sparks".
I'll re-state though, that in my "edc" use across a few days now - it's doing just fine, and I have no complaints what so ever with it.
Wartstein wrote: Well, Larrins charts put LC200N below VG10 in edge retention as far as I recall...
If that turns out to be the case in my use also, then I would Love to see VG-10, or even better S30V, be used as the steel for the Hyker. I don't have any issues with VG-10, and have found S30V to be even better.
When I initially started posting about the Hyker, what I was asking for was to put VG-10, or S30V, in the Salt 2 handle (cost savings as that handle has long since been made), and make it a Spyderco drop point shape blade.
So again, if for whatever reason LC200N turns out to NOT be so great in regards to edge retention... Refer back to initial postings, years ago, about this knife idea.

Back then, I got told by multiple folks, to just buy a Salt 2 and do a blade swap... while the end result may have been what I was desiring, the cost of doing it didn't make sense to me. And so, here and there, along the way, I continued to make subtle posts about it... Until this knife hit the market, and then I bought it, and made an actual Hyker, as I have/had envisioned it all along.

As to stain resistance... what I've found is: The more polished the blade, the less prone to staining (rusting) it is. I am speaking to stainless steels here. I've polished/buffed the blades on my VG-10 Hykers, and they more or less don't rust now, even in the humidity of our summers, and/or days of being in the rain on trail.
Hobnob wrote: Nice work on the blade. I just got one in SE. Been waiting on this awhile. Close to the perfect EDC for me. Very light, SE in FFG, which is ideal. The build quality is exceptional. My Delica's will be taking a backseat.
Thank You!

I agree, the build quality IS excellent, and perhaps the perfect EDC for me too. Now, I will say that the first three screws (counting the pivot as one, and moving toward the clip) were finger tip loose on mine. Having said that, I had read where folks were finding that, and so I checked mine for it. I DO NOT, in any way, consider that a flaw or fault. Give me every knife like that please! It's easy to check for. One at a time I took them out, added a dab of blue loctite, and reinstalled them - No problem, eazy-peazy. Build quality being centered blade, Strong bias to close black lock, no lock rock, fit-n-finish, etc... and Yes, Unbelievably light!

u.w.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

u.w. wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:08 am
cycleguy wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:
Wartstein wrote: Well, Larrins charts put LC200N below VG10 in edge retention as far as I recall...
If that turns out to be the case in my use also, then I would Love to see VG-10, or even better S30V, be used as the steel for the Hyker. I don't have any issues with VG-10, and have found S30V to be even better.
Hobnob wrote:
Personally I really like both VG10 and S30V, and in my use (though that is a lot outdoors in wet/moist/sweaty conditions) and environment they are both rustproof enough.

But if we´re talking about marketing the Salt 2 ffg or at least a special version of it as a near perfect hiking- and ultralight folder: The total corrosion-resistance would be probably a strong marketing argument for many customers of this crowd (and for many actually pretty nice to have...)

I think rustproofness is what many hikers and outdoor folks want to have (and what puts the Salt ahead of the Bugout).
Just the strong focus on marine / salt environments might make them overlook the Salt as a more general option.