health effects of sharpening

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kaylindris

health effects of sharpening

Post by kaylindris »

I've been wondering this for a while - are there any doctors in here than can chime in? Are there negative health effects from knife sharpening (besides cutting yourself)? A lot of the particles that you come into contact with, especially if you're dealing with diamond sprays that can get down to the 30 nanometer range, are way below the blood-brain barrier size. These particles can infiltrate your entire body basically... do they?
sal

Re: health effects of sharpening

Post by sal »

Hi Kaylindris,

Welcome to our forum.

I'd like to hear opinions on this?

sal
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Like almost everything in life, I suppose it is a question of quantity and circumstances.

It is not the same to sharpen once a week or ten days for a quarter of an hour or half an hour with traditional systems (stones and leather for the stropping) than to sharpen 8 hours a day with pulverized diamond in aerosols or sprays and aggressive chemical compounds.

I am not a doctor but I think that going down the street every day breathing heavy metals produced by combustion must do more damage than breathing nanoparticles from an aerosol when sharpening once every several days or weeks.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I would think that any air borne particles that are produced from using grinders, whetstones or any other sharpening tools could have potential hazards if you are not protected. On the other hand if we only knew of all the stuff that we breathe in on a daily basis we would probably be astounded to know what our respiratory system constantly endures even on a daily basis.

The only time I ever use any type of respirators or any other type of protection is when I'm using a dry, high speed grinder of some type. The few times I do use a grinder I mostly use my TORMEK system which is a wet grinding tool which does not produce air borne particles as far as I know. And do keep in mind I'm very safety conscious in any work I do and always have been.

It's like anything else you work with you just have to use common sense. But I do commend anyone who tries to be aware of any type of hazards that they work with. We only get one body and one set of lungs. I'm sure that the habit of smoking tobacco ( or anything else people smoke for that matter) is far more destructive to lungs than occasional exposure to small particles produced while sharpening a knife or any other edged tool. With that said it is amazing what the body can endure.
Ric

Post by Ric »

If you are a professional knife sharpener who sharpens 6 hours a day its not healthy.
In former times they did not get old. Bad air, cold environment from the water turning the wheel...

If you do it as a hobby it's not that unsafe.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ric wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:24 am
If you are a professional knife sharpener who sharpens 6 hours a day its not healthy.
In former times they did not get old. Bad air, cold environment from the water turning the wheel...

If you do it as a hobby it's not that unsafe.
I have worked in shops over the years where there are a lot of air borne particles. I've also worked on jobs working with epoxy coatings and other chemical type exposures that have the potential of being brutal on one's health. But in both cases whether it was hazardous air borne particles or chemical type fumes you've just got to protect yourself.

I've always gone out of my way to use respirators or any other safety equipment where applicable. I just turned 67 this past winter and my overall health isn't bad at all and I've sharpened dozens upon dozens of knives and other edged tools. You've just got to protect yourself if your exposure is potentially bad.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I have a friend who does industrial health and safety for a living, as in director of health and safety for big contractors that do superfund site cleanup type industrial work. He's active in the knife community as well, so I'll ask him for his thoughts.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm certain it causes cancer in California.

Generally I don't think any of those particles should be so airborne or in such large quantities that you're breathing them. I've noticed steel dust from sharpening, and certainly more of it when doing a heavy reprofile job. I think I'm safe, there are other more serious things trying to kill me on a daily basis.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

We come into contact with many toxins on a daily basis. It is about the quantity of exposure. I would worry less about basic carbon steels like 1095 and more about the modern high alloy steels. Knife makers wear respirators and I would guess that some of the employees at spyderco do as well. As a casual knife sharpener I am not worried at all. I don’t clean my stones off by licking them and I am sure I am being exposed to more toxins in other areas of my life than through this hobby. I have worked a bunch of blue collar jobs and I have been exposed to all sorts of stuff. As a gear head and gun guy I have been exposed to so much exhaust, welding fumes and lead that I cannot imagine that it is the knife sharpening that is gonna kill me.

Curious to hear more from others though?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
kobold

Post by kobold »

I use soapy water on DMT diamond plates, on Spyderco ceramic stones, on Naniwa Chosera water stones etc etc. Water will catch particles and keep them in the slurry. Out in the field, use your saliva.. Problem (literally) solved.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I usually wet the cbn stones. Not because I’m worried bout the dust, but because it quiets the process a little which calms my nerves, putting enormous scratches in a high zoot steel. It seems to help me make a smoother stroke as well, though I’ve also learned to use lighter pressure.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

kaylindris wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:03 pm
These particles can infiltrate your entire body basically... do they?
Well if you say they can, then I suppose they can.

I'm not one to seek out things to fret over. But if I was fixated on particulates, I might first look to what happens when I sweep the shed, dig up the garden, trim the bushes, drive down the freeway at rush hour, or cook your steak on the outdoor grill. The risk from airborne sharpening debris is infinitesimal compared to hundreds of other daily activities.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I avoid nano sized products whenever I can. Most are easily absorbed through intact skin from what I read. This is not something to mess with all for the sake of a shiny edge. Long term exposure to nano particles is still an unknown.
As to regular sharpening, is see no major risk unless you are doing power sharpening frequently. If so, where a respirator.

Added reference link: https://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics ... /index.cfm
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I wouldn’t worry too much about it unless this is your occupation or you are heavily involved in frequent dry sharpening at home. Myself, I only think about it when working on steel with heavy metal content (e.g. n690co) and try to do it outdoors and clean up well when done. I have young children and don’t particularly want them exposed to metal dust floating in the air inside my home.
Last edited by Rinzler on Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:40 am

Generally I don't think any of those particles should be so airborne or in such large quantities that you're breathing them. I've noticed steel dust from sharpening, and certainly more of it when doing a heavy reprofile job. I think I'm safe, there are other more serious things trying to kill me on a daily basis.
As you know, everything in California causes cancer! I live here, and you just can’t be too careful. I’m sure wood dust has done more damage to me than sharpening ever will.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Sounds like the only potential issue are micron solutions. Usually with water involved and the slow speeds of hand sharpening there is not the issue of airborne particles.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I don't know physically, but for my mental well being, it's a great way to relax!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
K1500

Post by K1500 »

My guess is it can be an issue with something like the worksharp, literally throwing the plume of debris strait up into your face.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:40 am
This! :)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

But how do they keep the warning label on the sunlight there? Or is U.V. exposure the only thing that doesn't cause cancer in California?