health effects of sharpening

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xformer

Re: health effects of sharpening

Post by Xformer »

I'm not a doctor, but common sens would be to wear a mask I think. That's what I do when I work on a grinder of sort (I've been taught that way), even working with wood. It's a common practice in Europe.

I'd suggest to ignore snarky comments about "everything is killing you". That's what a lot of people thought about asbestos and it seems some people didn't learn their history lesson that well.

Better be safe than sorry.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

^^ agreed. If you have concerns, mitigate your exposure. I use ear and eye pro as well as half-face respirators routinely for work and on my own time. You could also sharpen outside with a fan for cross breeze.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I worked in construction for at least a decade between the ages of 16 and 26. For the first 5 years I worked in all areas of construction as my mother worked for a builder, and they would send me out to work with subcontractors when they needed people. The last 5 years I worked for the IBEW and in concrete.

I'm 60 now and I must have breathed enough wood chips and silica dust to fill a 12oz glass. Also, having lived in the Chicagoland area for at least 40 years, I must have breathed in another 12oz glass of plastic and rubber particulate from garbage and automobiles. Point of fact, I feel fine.

Unless you have a dedicated job in knife sharpening and spend 40 to 60 hours a week doing that one task, I doubt you will suffer. If you are worried put on a 3M elastomeric mask with P-100 filters.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree. I really don't see how a hobbyist could generate that many particles for it to be an issue. I'm from Steel country. As a boy and a young man, I was near enough to the Mills and Coke plants to have ingested more particles in one hour than thousands of dedicated enthusiasts generate in a lifetime. I've not had any issues, and am an avid runner and hiker.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

For light sharpening I'm usually more concerned about catching a stray piece of metal or dust in my eyes so I wear glasses or goggles.

I also don't worry as much when I'm wet sharpening. Lately I've been keeping a wet sponge with a bit of dish soap on it. I just dab the sharpening stones on the sponge often during the sharpening process. The soapy mixture tends to capture the metal dust.

On reprofiles, or if Im going to be sharpening for more than 15 minutes, I have a mold filtration mask and goggles I wear. I've seen a few knife makers wearing something similar for belt grinding.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Inhaling anything your body can’t process is generally frowned upon.

I expect many have already mentioned but using water helps keep particulates from going airborne. Washing your hands well or even using gloves wouldn’t be a bad idea. Low speeds and low grit reduce the amount of material being shed. I certainly wouldn’t want to stand downwind of a grinder but if curious I’m sure professions of that nature already have extensive health tests. Welders, machinists, etc.

An occasional or even obsessive hand sharpener I expect has little to no concern of health issues. Not to the point it would have a major impact on illness over not performing those tasks. I have taken air quality much more serious as of lately with the wildfires and we are constantly running air purifiers with an air quality meter. My toaster oven cooking is probably doing more self-harm than my 701 profile stones. Plus you know...bacon :).
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Best thing about everything being made in China is they are breathing in all the toxins our fore fathers breathed in.

Being a butcher for 20+ years.
Google the heavy metals found in meat and tolerances and it reads like the steel in the knives we use.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

standy99 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:50 pm
Best thing about everything being made in China is they are breathing in all the toxins our fore fathers breathed in.

Google the heavy metals found in meat and tolerances and it reads like the steel in the knives we use.
Wow! I bet you have a practical appreciation for sharp edges few here can share. Would love to hear what some of your favorite butcher knives are.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

I work as a nurse in Cardiology and Vascular Surgery. I work along side our heart and lung transplant surgeon who is also a pulmonologist. I asked him the question on sharpening knives/grinding. His answer was very simple.
When sharpening knives as a hobbiest, he see’s no/little risk of harm. Harm by inhaling metal particles would present as Asthma.

1.OHSA has helped prevent problems in industrial manufacturing with workers having the right equipment/respirators for the respective job.
2.Hobbiest should follow OHSA standards when doing high speed grinding.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

I'll add that industry has Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) available for every chemical that humans can find themselves exposed to. They are not hard to find. https://www.msdsonline.com
Christian Noble

Post by Christian Noble »

The original "knife sharpening," flint knapping, there is a genuine concern for silicosis, ie, breathing in the silica put in the air from breaking rock which basically scars the lung tissue. While some knappers will wear a mask, most, including myself, simply knap in a cross-breeze. And unlike touching up a metal blade, knapping a point can take some time.

I can't imagine for the general knife-user (not maker) hand sharpening every now and again has an impact, stone or otherwise. Personally I usually sharpen my knives with sandpaper which also has to have more residue after using than a stone or surely ceramic. All that said, nothing wrong paying attention to the wind if sharpening outdoors and using to your advantage if concerned.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:51 am
standy99 wrote:

Wow! I bet you have a practical appreciation for sharp edges few here can share. Would love to hear what some of your favorite butcher knives are.
Best butcher knives are Dexter Russel. The best ability is the ease of being steeled back into shape
This below image is of the same knives ones just been sharpened a lot more.
(Neither look like the original knife purchased)

Would buy one of these as the white handled ones are not US made anymore
https://www.dexterrussellcutlery.com/de ... -12741-6f/
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:10 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
standy99 wrote:

Best butcher knives are Dexter Russel. The best ability is the ease of being steeled back into shape

OK, so a boning form factor. And ease of steeling and presumably also sharpening. Would you see a benefit in a fancy tough steel for your use? Is stainless a priority or would something like the bushcrafters like work well for you? Cruwear, 4V, etc.

How would you spec out your own butcher knife?
standy99

Post by standy99 »

► Show Spoiler
Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:37 am
standy99 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:10 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
standy99 wrote:

OK, so a boning form factor. And ease of steeling and presumably also sharpening. Would you see a benefit in a fancy tough steel for your use? Is stainless a priority or would something like the bushcrafters like work well for you? Cruwear, 4V, etc.

How would you spec out your own butcher knife?
I wouldn’t

The blade is constructed of Dexsteel, Dexter-Russell’s proprietary, high-carbon, high-alloy stainless steel – it’s been specially engineered for their professional knives to enhance sharpness, edge holding, corrosion resistance, and for ease of re-sharpening.

Above is why I wouldn’t but the main factor a high carbon steel is used is the ability to be “steeled” back into shape,

Do have a expensive Japanese and good to use sometimes but not as easy to sharpen and steel as a Dexter Russell and not as comfortable to hold as a D Russell as most time the grip of a boning knife is not your conventional grip like most knives are held

Watch this video to see the difference in holding a knife is compared to normal and the variable to how the blade is facing forward or backwards depending on cut.
https://www.thebutchersguild.org/blog/2 ... vin-mccann
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

bearrowland wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:10 pm
I don't know physically, but for my mental well being, it's a great way to relax!
I agree!!
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Depends on the steel, chromium is known cancer causing agent. I prescribe a full face respirator with P100 cartridges. Make sure to get fit tested as your lungs do the filtering, also to determine the correct brand and size respirator for your face.

Sal here is a link to the laws that apply.
https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulati ... 0/1910.134
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:49 am
Watch this video to see the difference in holding a knife is compared to normal and the variable to how the blade is facing forward or backwards depending on cut.
https://www.thebutchersguild.org/blog/2 ... vin-mccann
Thanks for that, I’ve never watched a butcher that closely before.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Just imagine the dangers of making knives, I like to live dangerously though :cool:
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Depends on the steel, chromium is known cancer causing agent. I prescribe a full face respirator with P100 cartridges. Make sure to get fit tested as your lungs do the filtering, also to determine the correct brand and size respirator for your face.
I've wondered about chrome, cobalt, etc. I have seen dust build up on the blade and stone while sharpening when I let it go dry.
Just imagine the dangers of making knives, I like to live dangerously though
A knifemaker I knew almost died from inhaling beryllium copper dust from his grinder. He was sick for weeks and needed ch elation (?)therapy. He should have known better too. He had no grinder dust vacuum thing.

Metal and some wood dust isn't the only potential issue either. I had trouble from absorbing light oils and solvents through my skin over a period of time when working in an arsenal. Cleaning/repairing firearms 9 hours a day can do that even when wearing gloves but in the old days for decades gloves were not even available. I also had high lead levels from the range and gun cleaning afterward. I would certainly do things differently now knowing what I do. Back in the early to middle 80's things like lead poisoning from shooting or high levels of solvents building up in the body was not something we learned or thought about.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I know a lot of the bowyers out there working with exotic woods can have serious allergies to different species, and can develop allergies over time. I read about a guy who ate so much microwave popcorn he exposed himself to a higher concentration of harmful dust than the people working in the factory. So while it seems unlikely that AFI sharpening would represent harmful exposure (dose makes the poison), take steps to protect yourself if you’re concerned.