Caly3: my favorite EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: Caly3: my favorite EDC

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I agree with most of Darby’s points, and there’s some interesting differences between the brown G10 Calypso and the Chief that can’t be appreciated unless you have them both in hand. First and foremost is how slim the Calypso is:

However despite this, it’s noticeably heavier (4.4 oz versus the CF Chief at 3.7 oz) and has a much different balance to it because of the SS liners. Aside from the pivot, the rest of the Calypso is pinned, it uses a BM-style OG clip (with Phillips head screws!) that’s placed below the lanyard hole (with a Lynch deep carry clip, it still sticks out of the pocket quite a bit), and the smooth ramp without jimping makes it a bit more slippery. I prefer that bit of swell in rear of the handle on the Calypso more. Overall the two seem more like cousins than brothers but clearly show their Glesser genetics.

I like both of them very much and would be very excited to see another sprint run of the Calypso if possible - dark gray G10 with K390 please! Sorry for so much Chief and Calypso discussion in this Caly 3 thread! Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

Glad I caught this thread. This model, 3 and 3.5, were never really on my radar for some reason. I’m now intrigued...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think if I were choosing, I would take an updated large Calypso over the Native and I'd want it made in Golden, with the Golden lock (and Boye dent), screw construction, and linerless G10. Brown is good, or any earth tone.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:37 pm
I think if I were choosing, I would take an updated large Calypso over the Native and I'd want it made in Golden, with the Golden lock (and Boye dent), screw construction, and linerless G10. Brown is good, or any earth tone.

I'll have what Doc Dan's having.
plow_2

Post by plow_2 »

I've had a couple of the caly Jr and sold them. The clip needs updating and the thumb ramp needs jimping something fierce. The lack of ruined the knife for me. I think the same would happen with the full size calypso. What I adore about the 3 and 3.5 is how the jimping on the ramp and the choil lock my hand in like nothing else.
Caly Jr with wire clip and jimping in a new steel would be amazing, but still nothing beats the 3. Eagerly awaiting a new version. Someday. I pray.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

My Caly 3 was a Father's Day gift from my wife & sons so it's special to me. It's also the 1st Spyderco with a choil I liked. If I was given free reign to spec a new one:

Caly 3 LW
Cobalt Blue FRN with Fishscale Texture
Screw construction
Wire clip
CPM SPY27 steel
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

Caly 3 LW
Cobalt Blue FRN with Fishscale Texture
Screw construction
Wire clip