Caly3: my favorite EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: Caly3: my favorite EDC

Post by Donut »

Maybe we need to start a Caly wishlist.

1. Caly 3 and Caly 3.5 in K390.
2. Caly 3 K390 SE.
3. Calypso in K390.
4. Calypso K390 SE.
5. Caly 3 or Caly 3.5 in S90V or S110V.
6. I wonder if we could get the linerless Native or linerless Manix lock back treatment done to one of the Caly models.
7. The Calypso sprint, many people thought it was too heavy. What could be done to lighten it up? Micarta back in the day used to bend/warp. Does G-10 or Carbon Fiber fix that?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:10 am

Because there is no "like" button on this forum.

Do like!!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is hard to not like this knife. I wish we had a 3.5 like this.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Donut wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:10 pm
Maybe we need to start a Caly wishlist.

1. Caly 3 and Caly 3.5 in K390.
2. Caly 3 K390 SE.
3. Calypso in K390.
4. Calypso K390 SE.
5. Caly 3 or Caly 3.5 in S90V or S110V.
6. I wonder if we could get the linerless Native or linerless Manix lock back treatment done to one of the Caly models.
7. The Calypso sprint, many people thought it was too heavy. What could be done to lighten it up? Micarta back in the day used to bend/warp. Does G-10 or Carbon Fiber fix that?
I'm a simple man, I'll take a Calypso Salt :D
:unicorn
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:05 am
It is hard to not like this knife. I wish we had a 3.5 like this.

That's another grail knife for me
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I absolutely love the looks of the Caly models. Though I've never held one, I can just tell that they would work for me ergonomically. I just found out that there was a 3.5" in Super Blue and I think I've found my (another) grail knife. Is the 3' model preferred just because of legality, or is there some other characteristic that separates it from the 3.5" model? It's only 8mm shorter than the 3.5".
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

MFlovejp wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:16 pm
I absolutely love the looks of the Caly models. Though I've never held one, I can just tell that they would work for me ergonomically. I just found out that there was a 3.5" in Super Blue and I think I've found my (another) grail knife. Is the 3' model preferred just because of legality, or is there some other characteristic that separates it from the 3.5" model? It's only 8mm shorter than the 3.5".
This to me is some of the magic of the Caly designs. Somehow 8mm longer from the Caly 3 to the 3.5 translates into 1/2" more blade. Put another way (and I'm far from the first to describe it this way), it's a PM2 length blade in a Delica handle. The efficiency of the design continues to amaze me.
I will note that when comparing my one Caly 3.5 (ZDP-189) to my Caly 3s (ZDP, SB, HAP40), all of the Caly 3 models have perfect fit and finish. On the 3.5, I can see the line (and feel with a fingernail) between the liners and the backlock/backspacer. Whereas all 3 of my Caly 3s have perfectly flush liners and backspacers. No impact to functionality, and you have to be really looking to see it, but it is there (in my sample size of 1).
bearfacedkiller

It seems like more folks prefer the 3.5. At least that was the opinion on here a few years ago. The 3.5 is EDC perfection. The 3 has a little more belly than the other two.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The CF/ZDP Caly 3 was my first "nice" Spyderco and I think it was something like the third Spyderco I ever bought. That knife/steel taught me some hard lesson in sharpening. It's still one of my favorites but I really wish they'd tweak something, either the handle or how far the blade closes into the handle, to allow more sharpening before the blade tip starts to stick out. I really don't like the idea of grinding some of the kick off because I don't want the edge to hit the back spacer so I guess maybe I can drop the spine down until the tip is in the handle again.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Put me down for a "buy" on the 3 and a "pass" on the 3.5.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:02 pm
I really don't like the idea of grinding some of the kick off because I don't want the edge to hit the back spacer so I guess maybe I can drop the spine down until the tip is in the handle again.
If you've sharpened it as much as I think, the entire edge has moved back and you'll most probably have plenty of clearance. Honestly it doesn't take much filing of the kick to get the tip low enough. It's harder to tell the clearance on a the Caly because of the solid back spacer but if you look at most of the Spyderco's there's a good 3 to 4mm clearance when new. It's like they knew you'd need to take it down eventually. No my Ikuchi is a different matter all together since it uses a stop pin and not a kick.... but that's another story for another time.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

Anyone have (or can take) a comparison pic between the big Calypso and a Native Chief? I used to have a micarta big Calypso, and, in many ways, I think of the Chief as an improved version of it.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

We need the Caly series back in the line up. These are serious knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Catamount123 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:01 am
Anyone have (or can take) a comparison pic between the big Calypso and a Native Chief? I used to have a micarta big Calypso, and, in many ways, I think of the Chief as an improved version of it.
They are similar in my opinion.

-Darby
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

My favorite Caly 3 is probably the ZDP189/CF version, I have a spare I actually use to trim the lawn next to the tiles in my yard. Yes, a longer blade would work way better, as well as serrations, but it's just a lot of fun to scratch up such a classy blade by cutting it into the soild up against stone bricks and tiles. The performance is there though, the edge has always come back, without resorting to the diamond hones.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:06 am
Catamount123 wrote:

This would be a tough choice for me... I probably prefer the no-ramp-design of the Chief just ever so slightly, but I tend to like both shallower (not too deep) choils and shallower / higher carry in longer knives, which speaks for the Calypso.
And I could not say at the moment if I prefer VG10 or S30V. Both are perfect EDC steels. If I really had to choose, perhaps VG10 would win.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:46 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Catamount123 wrote:

This would be a tough choice for me... I probably prefer the no-ramp-design of the Chief just ever so slightly, but I tend to like both shallower (not too deep) choils and shallower / higher carry in longer knives, which speaks for the Calypso.
And I could not say at the moment if I prefer VG10 or S30V. Both are perfect EDC steels. If I really had to choose, perhaps VG10 would win.
Interesting, I wouldn’t have thought they were that similar. I’d probably choose the Caly, I like the hump. I have a Shaman inbound, and it’ll be my first experience with a no-hump design. And I’ll always take VG10 over s30v.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'd love to see the Calypso Jr come back with tip up pocket clip orientation and screw together construction. Still liner-less micarta with thread inserts like the original. That's the one knife I really regret selling.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

A well-used Caly Jr, below. I imagine the upcoming LW Caly w/ screw construction will be a hit, but this is probably the closest we can get until then. I actually like the fish-scale texture a little better than the current "lava" patterns...though both are aces.

bearfacedkiller

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:09 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:46 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Catamount123 wrote:

Interesting, I wouldn’t have thought they were that similar. I’d probably choose the Caly, I like the hump. I have a Shaman inbound, and it’ll be my first experience with a no-hump design. And I’ll always take VG10 over s30v.
The Calypso is a little more elegant. It is a little more svelte, the lines flow a little better, the swedge, no jimping and the half ramp all give it a more refined feel. It would be the better gents knife if you think gents knives can be this big. The Chief has a more utilitarian feel which I like too. It also has that amazing Golden lockback, more handfilling scales, a slightly broader blade and folds up into a super compact package for its blade length.

This is all splitting hairs though, they are quite similar. I have always been a fan of the Calypso and my first impressions of the Chief are very good.
-Darby