Caly3: my favorite EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMM

Re: Caly3: my favorite EDC

Post by JMM »

JMM wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:53 pm
That's super cool to see / hear, thank you! I'm not a fan of pinned knives & as a rule I've completely steered clear of them, but I have a Caly3 w/a SE FFG VG-10 blade OTW to me right now. I just looked at every possible characteristic (which you cover beautifully above) I could from a half dozen photos and decided it was worth the plunge... Can't wait! (actually right now USPS is sorta mandating that I wait)

I'll post a follow up when it arrives. ;)

:D
It's here! (cross-post from 'what's in your pocket today' thread)

I really like it so far, it's a tad stiff but in a way that I think some basic break-in opening & closing cycles will resolve that. For it's rather diminutive size it fits better in my big paws than anything else I can think of... I'm excited, I think this little guy is going to get a bunch of SE EDC time...

:D ;)

[edit: typos]
Last edited by JMM on Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Donut

Post by Donut »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:37 pm
I agree, the Caly 3 is perhaps one of the best pocket knives ever designed. It's comfortable, capable, and carries well. I always wanted one of the ZDP/420J laminate models with carbon fiber, but those are discontinued now I believe.

If you're interested, there's a Green G-10 Hap40 Caly 3 over at Bento Box Shop. I've been tempted a few times, but have yet to pull the trigger.
Watch the trading forums. I used to trade for them and trade them away fairly often. They move around a lot.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I’m sitting on a new Caly 3 Superblue. I keep it for use later but I keep on using other knives. I have a new Caly 3.5 Superblue as well. I’m using other knives and never get to them.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JMM wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:27 pm
JMM wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:53 pm
That's super cool to see / hear, thank you! I'm not a fan of pinned knives & as a rule I've completely steered clear of them, but I have a Caly3 w/a SE FFG VG-10 blade OTW to me right now. I just looked at every possible characteristic (which you cover beautifully above) I could from a half dozen photos and decided it was worth the plunge... Can't wait! (actually right now USPS is sorta mandating that I wait)

I'll post a follow up when it arrives. ;)

:D
It's here! (cross-post from 'what's in your pocket today' thread)

I really like it so far, it's a tad stiff but in a way that I think some basic break-in opening & closing cycles will resolve that. For it's rather diminutive size it fits better in my big paws than anything else I can think of... I'm excited, I think this little guy is going to get a bunch of SE EDC time...

:D ;)

[edit: typos]
Very nice. Those teeth look aggressive!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

Need a full size caly in that carbon fiber and s90v
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

The Caly series is a perfect carry knife. It's almost boringly perfect (thin blade and carry, backlock, amazing ergos, deep carry, mine have great F&F). Doesn't make sense, but it's perfection is probably why I don't carry mine as much as I should.
I'm going to carry one of mine all month to get reacquainted.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I kinda wish I’d pulled the trigger on one of the carbon ZDP Caly 3.5’s... but ultimately I’m just not a carbon fiber guy. Hopefully we see some high quality FRN or G10 Caly 3.5’s in any steel sometime soon. Beautiful design!
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
plow_2

Post by plow_2 »

The Caly 3 has been my favorite knife since I first bought one idk, 9 years ago?
My caly is a plain jane vg10 model. No washers but SMOOTH AS GLASS. Every knife I purchase is measured against it, and they all fail. It's in my pocket 95% of the time.
It's the most comfortable knife I've ever used and if I could only have one, it would be it. The generous thumb ramp, and large choil make it better than the para 3. My only request is better steel.
Thank you Sal for your amazing creation.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Do these have liners? If so, what is the shape under the choil point area? Could it be ground off altogether?
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:28 pm
Do these have liners? If so, what is the shape under the choil point area? Could it be found off altogether?

Caly 3 has modestly skeletonized liners. The "hump" behind the finger choil could possibly be ground off entirely or mostly (if that is what you're asking), but you would be grinding close to a liner hole. Not to mention: you'd also be messing with some seriously delicious ergos.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

plow_2 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:44 am
My caly is a plain jane vg10 model. No washers but SMOOTH AS GLASS. Every knife I purchase is measured against it, and they all fail. It's in my pocket 95% of the time.
It's the most comfortable knife I've ever used and if I could only have one, it would be it. The generous thumb ramp, and large choil make it better than the para 3. My only request is better steel.

IKR? Just as you say, a steel update would be sweet, but the Caly has so many loveable qualities I'm still happy with my VG10 which merely gets sharpened a little more frequently. I'm gonna bet that the upcoming LW screwed version comes in SPY27...any takers?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:34 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:28 pm
Do these have liners? If so, what is the shape under the choil point area? Could it be found off altogether?

Caly 3 has modestly skeletonized liners. The "hump" behind the finger choil could possibly be ground off entirely or mostly (if that is what you're asking), but you would be grinding close to a liner hole. Not to mention: you'd also be messing with some seriously delicious ergos.
Yes, ground off... autoincorrect strikes again! Thanks.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:39 pm
IKR? Just as you say, a steel update would be sweet, but the Caly has so many loveable qualities I'm still happy with my VG10 which merely gets sharpened a little more frequently. I'm gonna bet that the upcoming LW screwed version comes in SPY27...any takers?
I want to try SPY27, but I’m waiting for the right model. (I can’t name the “right” model, but I’ll know it when I see it.) This would certainly tempt me.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

The Caly 3 is my favorite :spyder:. I hope that it will one day get the lightweight treatment like the Caly 3.5.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

If the Japanese can't make it properly for some reason, Taichung certainly could, and so could Golden. I hope they can continue making these in Japan, but I was just pointing out the obvious.

I still want a dark forest green G10 204P model, but that is me. I have a Delica with this steel and color and can vividly imagine how it would be in a G10 Caly3 and 3.5.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:12 am
The Caly series is a perfect carry knife. It's almost boringly perfect (thin blade and carry, backlock, amazing ergos, deep carry, mine have great F&F). Doesn't make sense, but it's perfection is probably why I don't carry mine as much as I should.
You know I'm super jealous of that green one!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
vivi

Post by vivi »

The entire family of Calypso designs are wonderful.

This may surprise some of our newer members but there was a time when the Caly 3 and UKPK were my go to EDC's.

I'd usually have a Millie or Police 3 IWB as a back-up, but the Caly 3 was enough for most things I encountered day to day.

I always thought they had exceptional ergonomics and folded up to an incredibly compact, pocket friendly shape.

I like the deep carry clip for knives this size, because with a higher clip mount is feels like the knife is more likely to fall out of the pocket.

I'm keeping my eye on the Caly LW and 3.5 LW. I know it won't happen but I'd love to be able to own modernized LW versions of all three sizes.
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:14 am
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:12 am
You know I'm super jealous of that green one!
I know where you can buy one. Check your inbox :)
:unicorn
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

vivi wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:26 am
I know where you can buy one. Check your inbox :)
I've seen at least 3 Caly 3 HAP40s for sale since this thread started. All were very reasonably priced too.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!