Hi! I’m new here!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Re: Hi! I’m new here!

Postby Mr Blonde » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:41 am

Welcome to the forums!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 03-31-2021 - Twitter - Instagram

Holland

Postby Holland » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:47 pm

Welcome to the forums!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Junction | Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2

Bill1170

Postby Bill1170 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:35 pm

Welcome, T.J.! There’s an amazing brain trust here and a friendly community, as well. Enjoy your stay.

Cycletroll

Postby Cycletroll » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:44 pm

Welcome T.J!
Always good to have new folks:)

T.J.

Postby T.J. » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:22 pm

Thanks all for the warm welcome! It’s great to be here!
To answer some of you’re questions, the Manix 2 is my favorite Spyderco. Being a lefty, the ball lock is perfect for me as well as the overall ergos. Perfect sized blade for me as well. Here’s my list of Spyderco’s from memory:
The first “real” knife I purchased was the Manix 2 LW in BD1N. Then the flood gates opened.
Manix 2 LW Maxamet
Manix 2 LW S110V
Manix 2 LW Spy 27
Manix 2 20 CV Red G10 DLT exclusive
Manix 2 DLC/Brown G10 M390
Manix 2 XL DLC/Black G10

Endura 4 K390
Endura 4 VG10
Endura 4 ZDP 189

Delica red/black zome 20 cv DLT exclusive
Delica red/black zome DLC 20 cv DLT exclusive
Delica blue frn M390 Bento Box Exclusive

Native Chief carbon fiber/S90v
Native 5 spy 27

Manbug K390

Military Left Hand S30v
Para 2 Tanto Satin/S30v
Para 2 Tanto Jade G10/DLC M4 Blade HQ exclusive
Para 2 Blue G10/M390 Bento Box Exclusive
Para 2 Red G10/4V St. Nicks exclusive

Police 4 K390 on the way
Manix 2 xl S90v (eBay bid, ends soon)

Wartstein

Postby Wartstein » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:31 pm

T.J. wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:22 pm

T.J., that´s a great collection!!!
Especially your Manix 2 LWs, the Delicas and first and foremost the Enduras are very much to my liking...! :)

But it looks like as if you would have no Spydie in SE, right?

If so: I say you must try this! I personally prefer SE over PE in almost any task these days...
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

sal

Postby sal » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:55 pm

Hey T.J.

Welcome to our forum.

I think you'll fit right in here. Honesty, knowledge, experience, humor, and a little daft. :p

sal

elena86

Postby elena86 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:18 pm

Welcome to the spydervortex mate. Manix2 lover hmm ! You have good tastes from what I see. Allow me to start the shameless enabling game : it’s time for your first Dragonly2. Sal’s best design IMHO. Go for the K390 one, it’s a gem.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it " ( Rabindranath Tagore )

T.J.

Postby T.J. » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:35 pm

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:31 pm
T.J. wrote:

T.J., that´s a great collection!!!
Especially your Manix 2 LWs, the Delicas and first and foremost the Enduras are very much to my liking...! :)

If so: I say you must try this! I personally prefer SE over PE in almost any task these days...
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is SE and PE? I bet it’s obvious, but I’m having a brain fart at the moment.

T.J.

Postby T.J. » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:36 pm

elena86 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:18 pm
Welcome to the spydervortex mate. Manix2 lover hmm ! You have good tastes from what I see. Allow me to start the shameless enabling game : it’s time for your first Dragonly2. Sal’s best design IMHO. Go for the K390 one, it’s a gem.

I’ve been considering one and I’d definitely go for the K390.

Woodpuppy

Postby Woodpuppy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:41 pm

Welcome aboard!
:spyder: My other blade is a Kelly Perfect :spyder:

Donut

Postby Donut » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:46 am

Welcome to the forum. You have a nice collection.

I say definitely give the Dragonfly a chance. It folds up to almost nothing and is very capable. I got one with the plastic clip and thought I didn't like the Dragonfly, but then I fell in love with it when I tried it with the wire clip.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!

Wartstein

Postby Wartstein » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:49 am

T.J. wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:35 pm
Wartstein wrote:
T.J. wrote:

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is SE and PE? I bet it’s obvious, but I’m having a brain fart at the moment.
Serrated edge / plain edge... :)

And you need tp try serrated! ;) (just if you like of course, but it's worth it!!)
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

JonLeBlanc

Postby JonLeBlanc » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:50 am

welcome!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara

Higher

Postby Higher » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:49 am

T.J. wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:36 pm
Hello everybody! My name is T.J. and I’m a Spyderco addict. New to this forum, and relatively new to knife collecting. I have over 30 pieces and the vast majority are Spyderco’s. Anyway...cool place you got here and thank you for letting me be a part of it.
Welcome aboard.
This is a great community. One family here.

You have a great collection! Why Spyderco? What attracted you to these knives?

Glad to see all my friends here. Wartstein and others advise good stuff. You should try it. I'm talking about SE!
Sorry, I use translator most of the time.
The most important thing in intercultural communication is to be ready to see and try to understand someone who is different from you.
need_more_spyderco_againSpyderco catalogs are here

T.J.

Postby T.J. » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:11 pm

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:49 am
T.J. wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
T.J. wrote:

And you need tp try serrated! ;) (just if you like of course, but it's worth it!!)
Ahh...that makes sense. No serrated knives at the moment. Which one would you recommend for my first?

Wartstein

Postby Wartstein » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:01 pm

T.J. wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:11 pm
Wartstein wrote:
T.J. wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Ahh...that makes sense. No serrated knives at the moment. Which one would you recommend for my first?

To be clear: I am not an expert on Spydercos SE, just love that kind of edge - David/Evil D or Vivi know a lot more than me for example (and many others too)

Still:
One I can recommend 100 % from my own experience is the Endela SE (serrated edge)!!
It has everything that a general use serrated Spydie should have imho (so that it outperforms plain edge in most tasks for me):

- Full flat grind
- A bit thinner stock
- And first and foremost really shallow, not too aggressive but "rounded" (not too spikey) serrations out of the box
- VG 10 steel, so easy to sharpen (with a sharpmaker SE is a tad easier to sharpen than PE for me anyway)

And: Since you like Endura AND Delica: The "middle ground" Endela with its a tad more handfilling handle should be a perfect choice anyway, right??

Another, but a bit more pricey, model that people seem to love in SE: Caribbean SE

Or you go with the Pacific Salt or Salt 2 ffg SE in LC200N (basically linerless, rustproof "Endura" and "Delica")

Generally I´d say: If you want to experience how great SE works in all the "normal/regular" knife tasks, so for me like a "better PE":

- Don´t get it in sabre grind, but in ffg
- Look for really shallow, round, not too spikey or aggressive serrations (some of the older SE Spydies seem to have rather the latter)
- I think VG10 or LC200N are great choices, since they sharpen up quick and SE holds an edge longer than PE anyway.

Great thread on SE generally (should you have further questions on SE: This thread might be a good place for asking those): viewtopic.php?t=84985

Perhaps you are one of those who have been told SE would be hard to sharpen: Not true at all!!
Here is another great thread on sharpening SE, the very first post and the vid there should tell you a lot already (as does the instructional vid that comes with the sharpmaker, should you have one):
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84544

T.J.

Postby T.J. » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:23 pm

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:01 pm
T.J. wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:11 pm
Wartstein wrote:
T.J. wrote:

To be clear: I am not an expert on Spydercos SE, just love that kind of edge - David/Evil D or Vivi know a lot more than me for example (and many others too)

Still:
One I can recommend 100 % from my own experience is the Endela SE (serrated edge)!!
It has everything that a general use serrated Spydie should have imho (so that it outperforms plain edge in most tasks for me):

- Full flat grind
- A bit thinner stock
- And first and foremost really shallow, not too aggressive but "rounded" (not too spikey) serrations out of the box
- VG 10 steel, so easy to sharpen (with a sharpmaker SE is a tad easier to sharpen than PE for me anyway)

And: Since you like Endura AND Delica: The "middle ground" Endela with its a tad more handfilling handle should be a perfect choice anyway, right??

Another, but a bit more pricey, model that people seem to love in SE: Caribbean SE

Or you go with the Pacific Salt or Salt 2 ffg SE in LC200N (basically linerless, rustproof "Endura" and "Delica")

Generally I´d say: If you want to experience how great SE works in all the "normal/regular" knife tasks, so for me like a "better PE":

- Don´t get it in sabre grind, but in ffg
- Look for really shallow, round, not too spikey or aggressive serrations (some of the older SE Spydies seem to have rather the latter)
- I think VG10 or LC200N are great choices, since they sharpen up quick and SE holds an edge longer than PE anyway.

Great thread on SE generally (should you have further questions on SE: This thread might be a good place for asking those): viewtopic.php?t=84985

Perhaps you are one of those who have been told SE would be hard to sharpen: Not true at all!!
Here is another great thread on sharpening SE, the very first post and the vid there should tell you a lot already (as does the instructional vid that comes with the sharpmaker, should you have one):
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84544

Thanks for all that! I really appreciate it! I’ll probably get an Endela in VG10. I didn’t know that a SE could be sharpened on a regular system like a Sharpmaker. That’s one of the main reasons I’ve shy’d away from a SE.

sal

Postby sal » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:38 pm

Hi T.J.

Serrated edges are easier than plain edges to sharpen. They also respond well to the Sharpmaker often improving performance. Probably a good idea to watch the Sharpmaker video.

sal

T.J.

Postby T.J. » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:56 pm

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:38 pm
Hi T.J.

Serrated edges are easier than plain edges to sharpen. They also respond well to the Sharpmaker often improving performance. Probably a good idea to watch the Sharpmaker video.

sal
Thanks Sal, I’ll do that. Any suggestions on what my first SE should be?

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”