Domino 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ugaarguy

Domino 2?

Post by ugaarguy »

Cl1ff linked this video - https://youtu.be/sRCcgsyk4Nk of - Eric having a video conference convo with the Millie.PM2.P3 club guys. From the roughly the 44 to 46 minute time period Eric talks about the Domino and Dice. He says that Spyderco has version 2 of each sitting in R&D, and that they might bring them out one day. Who else would be down for a Domino 2?

The opening and closing action on the Sage 5 LW's phosphor bronze washer and stepped pivot is as smooth as any ball bearing pivot I've ever used, so I'd love to see that washer based pivot applied to a frame lock flipper like a Domino 2. On the Domino I like that the flipper tab is minimal, and that it can be easily opened with the blade hole like a regular Spydie. The Ti liner under the show side scale is also nearly as thick as the frame lock side Ti scale, so maybe just make the Domino 2 as an all Ti model. The ergos are very similar to a lightly larger Sage with a rounded handle tail as well. Can the team throw all that together with an LC200N blade to make the Domino 2 a Salt frame lock with a finger choil and leaf shaped blade to compliment the very popular SpydieChef?
mikey177

Re: Domino 2?

Post by mikey177 »

I probably won't wear these two out within my lifetime, but I'm still in for a Domino 2 with the Sage 5 LW PB washer pivot and other tweaks.
Attachments
domino_red_and_blue.jpg
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

mikey177 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:31 pm
I probably won't wear these two out within my lifetime, but I'm still in for a Domino 2 with the Sage 5 LW PB washer pivot and other tweaks.
Nice pic. I have the red one, but missed out on the blue one.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Thank you. The bearings on my blue Domino were initially gritty, but they smoothened out after some cleaning and use. I've tried the Sage 5 LW pivot though, and I agree that it could produce an improved action in the planned Domino 2.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Not really sure why but I opted to go with the Sage series instead of the Domino & Dice. I was really tempted by the red & blue CF weave versions though. I have no desire to own a Domino at this point but I'd certainly take a hard look at a new version
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

The Domino is the only design with a leaf-shaped blade that I really dig, so yeah I'd take a good look at a Domino 2.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I think the Domino is a great design.
I really appreciate the way Eric handled the flipper tab and choil. In my opinion, there is no other knife on the market that does the Flipper/Choil double feature better (coming from someone who doesn’t always prefer either of those two things).
While I don’t own one, it’s obvious how much performance is packed into the knife, so an updated version won’t meet any resistance from me.

The interview provides a lot of valuable insight between the silliness. I definitely recommend watching it!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I like the Domino a lot, but have never bit the bullet. I think BBS still has some in stock.

I'd be stoked on a Domino 2, as I think the model has a lot of potential.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I would need to hold one in person and check it out, I had the opportunity check out a domino and I was pretty underwhelmed by it at the time... like others I favored the Sage series instead... still can't find that darn Sage4 though. :rolleyes:
carrot

Post by carrot »

The Domino is probably the only flipper knife I've actively enjoyed. I'd love to see a sequel.

I'd also like to see a skinny version. The Domino is quite a thicc boi.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

carrot wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:05 am
The Domino is probably the only flipper knife I've actively enjoyed. I'd love to see a sequel.

Switching the pivot from caged ball bearings to PB washers and a stepped pivot post like the Sage 5 LW uses would allow for a thinner handle. Switching from G10 or G10/CF laminate over a thick Ti liner on the show side to simply a solid Ti scale on the show side would also slim it down.
carrot

Post by carrot »

ugaarguy wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:03 pm
carrot wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:05 am

Switching the pivot from caged ball bearings to PB washers and a stepped pivot post like the Sage 5 LW uses would allow for a thinner handle. Switching from G10 or G10/CF laminate over a thick Ti liner on the show side to simply a solid Ti scale on the show side would also slim it down.
All of those sound like nice improvements that would find a D2 in my pockets.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was let down with the size. I thought it was going to essentially be a flipper Manix 2 but came in smaller than I was hoping.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:00 pm
I was let down with the size. I thought it was going to essentially be a flipper Manix 2 but came in smaller than I was hoping.
Yeah the 3&1/8" blade was definitely an odd choice. Either knock that 1/8" off so it fits the 3" or less blade length limit that many jurisdictions unfortunately have, or bump it to between 3&1/4" and 3&1/2" length range for a bit for functionality. And then the Dice had a 2.52" blade - seriously, knock 3 or 4 hundredths of an inch off so it meets the 2.5" requirement some places have like the Lil' Native does.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

The handle thickness is about the same as a Para3, which I find acceptable. I agree though that making the show side scale full Ti will reduce the thickness (and hopefully the manufacturing cost as well).
Attachments
domino vs para3 width.jpg
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Take my money.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I have two Domino's and a Dice. I'm in.. please not S30V! 20CV or XHP again
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
kobold

Post by kobold »

I might be wrong, but I feel like XHP is more abundant than 20CV. At least I don't have any 20CV, but I have multiple XHPs.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10