In the end, who are sprint runs up to?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

In the end, who are sprint runs up to?

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I was sitting around playing with my Watu and thinking about sprint runs (a usual afternoon really) and it got me thinking, who are sprint runs up to in the end? How do they come to fruition?

Like, is there a sprint run team? If a group like BladeHQ comes to spyderco saying they want oh I dunno, a watu in terotuff and s90v, does that request get vetted? Or does it simply go through if the required funding and production room exists. And for regular sprints, does someone look through the forums to see what there’s interest in? Or is there a pile of Sal’s ideas somewhere, and the production team is just making their way through them.

I just think it would be nice to know how this stuff gets decided, as a way to quell some of the upset-itude around sprints.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
TazKristi

Re: In the end, who are sprint runs up to?

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Abyss_Fish:
Thanks for the question. It's important first to understand the difference between a Sprint Run, and an Exclusive.

Sprint Runs are strictly by Spyderco. A Sprint Run is a limited, one-time-only production of a specific knife design variant. Sprints are existing designs that we produce in different configurations (e.g., different steel, handle material, color, blade coating, etc.) in limited quantities. Once a Sprint Run is sold out, we don't make it again. Sprint Runs are sold through our normal distribution chain and made available to our wholesale and consumer customers around the world.

Exclusives are just that. Exclusive. Exclusives are models made at the special request of a wholesale customer in a configuration different than what has been previously produced. Exclusives are produced for one customer - a wholesale distributor or a retailer. I can't get into confidential information, but I will say that Exclusives are developed in a collaborative process between the wholesale customer and Spyderco. Exclusives for retailers are only available through the retailer who contracted the Exclusive. Exclusives for wholesale distributors are often available through multiple retailers. Exclusives are contracted for a period of time, and can (and have in some cases) have multiple production runs.

I think it's fair to say that we listen to our customers (you). We love hearing what you like, dislike, and what you hope for in the future. I believe our wholesale customers listen to what you say to them too. And as many of you are aware, we've got quite a few wholesale customers who are knife knuts in their own right - some of the ideas are their own wish list for the perfect knife in their eyes. Over the years, we've implemented countless suggestions that started right here on our forum.

To this question, "Or is there a pile of Sal’s ideas somewhere, and the production team is just making their way through them?" We don't just make our way through anything. There is a tremendous amount of thought, preparation, time, and effort put into each product. That holds true regardless of it being a Sprint, an Exclusive, a Flash Batch, or a regular production item.

And since I mentioned it, a Flash Batch is a brand new, limited production, never before produced design that will never be duplicated in the exact same form again (Lil' Nilakka, Darn Dao, and Bombshell are all examples of a Flash Batch).

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some insight.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Thanks for such a comprehensive answer, Kristi!
I really appreciate the work you all put in to provide us with good service and sweet knives!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Yes, thank you, Kristi. There is enough misunderstanding about special runs from Spyderco that your excellent explanation should be a sticky.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Awesome explanation, Kristi! Well done!

Stay safe,

Mike
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

TazKristi wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:53 pm
Hi, Abyss_Fish:
Thanks for the question. It's important first to understand the difference between a Sprint Run, and an Exclusive.

Sprint Runs are strictly by Spyderco. A Sprint Run is a limited, one-time-only production of a specific knife design variant. Sprints are existing designs that we produce in different configurations (e.g., different steel, handle material, color, blade coating, etc.) in limited quantities. Once a Sprint Run is sold out, we don't make it again. Sprint Runs are sold through our normal distribution chain and made available to our wholesale and consumer customers around the world.

Exclusives are just that. Exclusive. Exclusives are models made at the special request of a wholesale customer in a configuration different than what has been previously produced. Exclusives are produced for one customer - a wholesale distributor or a retailer. I can't get into confidential information, but I will say that Exclusives are developed in a collaborative process between the wholesale customer and Spyderco. Exclusives for retailers are only available through the retailer who contracted the Exclusive. Exclusives for wholesale distributors are often available through multiple retailers. Exclusives are contracted for a period of time, and can (and have in some cases) have multiple production runs.

I think it's fair to say that we listen to our customers (you). We love hearing what you like, dislike, and what you hope for in the future. I believe our wholesale customers listen to what you say to them too. And as many of you are aware, we've got quite a few wholesale customers who are knife knuts in their own right - some of the ideas are their own wish list for the perfect knife in their eyes. Over the years, we've implemented countless suggestions that started right here on our forum.

To this question, "Or is there a pile of Sal’s ideas somewhere, and the production team is just making their way through them?" We don't just make our way through anything. There is a tremendous amount of thought, preparation, time, and effort put into each product. That holds true regardless of it being a Sprint, an Exclusive, a Flash Batch, or a regular production item.

And since I mentioned it, a Flash Batch is a brand new, limited production, never before produced design that will never be duplicated in the exact same form again (Lil' Nilakka, Darn Dao, and Bombshell are all examples of a Flash Batch).

Kristi
Would it possible for a wealthy customer (not an online store, just someone), to fund an exclusive run ? Like a PM2 with a bowie blade for example ? Or is it exclusive to retailers and such.

Not that I could, far from it, but I'm just curious.
Zive

Post by Zive »

Eric spoke a little about the workings of the exclusives program yesterday in this interview:

https://youtu.be/sRCcgsyk4Nk

Scan ahead to 31:51 for relevant segment. He briefly touches on the requirements to have an exclusive made, @Chapp.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Aren't the Lil' Nilakka, Darn Dao, and Bombshell the only Flash Batches produced so far? Or were there others before those three? They are the only ones that I remember.

Before I forget: Thanks Kristi for your excellent post!! It should be made available somewhere where all newbies (and all other forumites too!) can learn the difference.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
carrot

Post by carrot »

Wow Kristi. Super comprehensive answer, thank you. It's easy to forget how small Spyderco is when you consider its outsized footprint in the knife world and how many models are available at any given time.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Chapp wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:13 am
TazKristi wrote:
Hi, Abyss_Fish:

Kristi
Would it possible for a wealthy customer (not an online store, just someone), to fund an exclusive run ? Like a PM2 with a bowie blade for example ? Or is it exclusive to retailers and such.

You probably need to be in the circle of trust before asking. But they do unique collaborations like this. This was not through a typical online knife store.

Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Danke wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:47 am
Chapp wrote:
TazKristi wrote:
Hi, Abyss_Fish:

Kristi

You probably need to be in the circle of trust before asking. But they do unique collaborations like this. This was not through a typical online knife store.

Imagine being lucky enough to have contact and Spyderco trust, just to make a salmon trout Native out of it.... Humanity is lost.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I kinda like Abel Reels collaborations.
They are beautiful in my opinion...Image
and the craftsmanship that goes in to them is unique and worthy of respect.
Apologies for derailing a bit here, but the day I no longer appreciate art and craftsmanship is the day my humanity is actually lost, if you ask me.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Danke

Post by Danke »

Yeah the 3 knives they made pretty well exemplify the ethos of an elusive. Something no one else would do.

Otherwise they're all a million PM2 Tantos with purple handles. Yay!
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Chapp wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:34 pm
Imagine being lucky enough to have contact and Spyderco trust, just to make a salmon trout Native out of it.... Humanity is lost.
This was for a fishing equipment vendor. It was a pretty special project for them. What affect does it have on you that you can judge it so harshly?
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Chapp wrote:

Chapp,
I can't really answer that because it's never happened, to my knowledge. If someone did come to us with such a request, it would be evaluated just like any other request. As I said, Exclusives are developed in collaboration with us. Ultimately, the end product is a Spyderco and that's something we take seriously. The number of Exclusives that we've turned down, is probably close to the number that we've produced.

Danke wrote:
Danke,
I wouldn't say that we have a circle of trust. If we do, it's the trust that our customers (you) give us. The Abel Reels Exclusive was not the first of its kind - the end product was unique, absolutely, but the partnership was not.

Chapp wrote:
Chapp,
I think everyone on this forum has contact with us. We're pretty transparent and active here daily. You've been around here long enough to know that. Over the 20+ years of our forum, there have been numerous knife designs and CQI changes that have come to be because of the discussions on this forum. I'm sorry that we haven't given you what you've asked for, but I think your reaction to this is a bit unfair. Sometimes we don't get what we want. Humanity is not lost for it. If you question the fate of humanity and if it's lost, there are a few thousand posts on the forum by our members that would prove otherwise - and very few of the posts have anything to do with knives.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

It seems that there’s a small seed of discontent in this thread. I just want to say that Spyderco, for the size they are, is the absolute most responsive knife maker out there. They’ve done so much for the consumer and continue to do so. Sure it’s easy to snicker and talk negatively about some of the more repetitive and questionable combinations of exclusives or otherwise, but remember that most knife companies their size would never in a million years consider some of the neat stuff that Spyderco has made because someone of us asked for it.
rashman

Post by rashman »

Cl1ff wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:05 pm
I kinda like Abel Reels collaborations.
They are beautiful in my opinion...Image
and the craftsmanship that goes in to them is unique and worthy of respect.
Apologies for derailing a bit here, but the day I no longer appreciate art and craftsmanship is the day my humanity is actually lost, if you ask me.
I think the Abel Reels Natives are awesome & beautiful too!
missed on my try to get the Salmon & Brown Trout - hand painted sweetness
current fav’s: K390 SS Stretch, PM2 CruWear Mircata, P.I.T.S., Subway Bowie
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Rinzler wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:59 pm
It seems that there’s a small seed of discontent in this thread. I just want to say that Spyderco, for the size they are, is the absolute most responsive knife maker out there. They’ve done so much for the consumer and continue to do so. Sure it’s easy to snicker and talk negatively about some of the more repetitive and questionable combinations of exclusives or otherwise, but remember that most knife companies their size would never in a million years consider some of the neat stuff that Spyderco has made because someone of us asked for it.
Reading some of the things posted here lately makes me sad. It really seems like the more we get from the company the more we demand as well as become more prone to disaffection. Not just here, seems like many hobby forums go this way eventually, but still disheartening to see. For me it feels like Spyderco maintains a fine balance between doing and listening while many times us afi's do not.
rashman

Post by rashman »

spoonrobot wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:58 pm
Rinzler wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:59 pm
Reading some of the things posted here lately makes me sad. It really seems like the more we get from the company the more we demand as well as become more prone to disaffection. Not just here, seems like many hobby forums go this way eventually, but still disheartening to see. For me it feels like Spyderco maintains a fine balance between doing and listening while many times us afi's do not.
In a time where FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) seems rampant (thank you social media,) some folks sure don’t take to the disappointment of missing out very well. It’s amazing that Spyderco has so many models, options and amazing steel offerings. What an awesome company, who obviously listens to its customers and wholesalers and provides us with an opportunity to get cool things that don’t exist outside of a custom knife. How fortunate we are living in an ‘golden age’ of folding knives & steel. We have forgotten how good we got it.
current fav’s: K390 SS Stretch, PM2 CruWear Mircata, P.I.T.S., Subway Bowie
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

TazKristi wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:25 pm
Chapp wrote:

Chapp,
I can't really answer that because it's never happened, to my knowledge. If someone did come to us with such a request, it would be evaluated just like any other request. As I said, Exclusives are developed in collaboration with us. Ultimately, the end product is a Spyderco and that's something we take seriously. The number of Exclusives that we've turned down, is probably close to the number that we've produced.

Danke wrote:
Danke,
I wouldn't say that we have a circle of trust. If we do, it's the trust that our customers (you) give us. The Abel Reels Exclusive was not the first of its kind - the end product was unique, absolutely, but the partnership was not.

Chapp wrote:
Chapp,
I think everyone on this forum has contact with us. We're pretty transparent and active here daily. You've been around here long enough to know that. Over the 20+ years of our forum, there have been numerous knife designs and CQI changes that have come to be because of the discussions on this forum. I'm sorry that we haven't given you what you've asked for, but I think your reaction to this is a bit unfair. Sometimes we don't get what we want. Humanity is not lost for it. If you question the fate of humanity and if it's lost, there are a few thousand posts on the forum by our members that would prove otherwise - and very few of the posts have anything to do with knives.

Kristi
It's not really a matter of what I personally want. Everyone in this forum know what I would like to see coming back. It's just that everytime someone ask Spyderco for something very obvious, it's always met with the same answers : other priorities, pipeline is full or just weird stubborness (Delica non-painted clip srsly ?).

Like, I remember vividly I suggested Spyderco to make a Pm2 with a different blade, because I and all the coworkers I have find the PM2 grind to be too delicate for what we do (while everything else is perfect for us. The PM2 is a popular knife in my job). We don't use our knives sitting at desk cutting letters, we need a sturdier blade with a Pm2 handle. By mail, I suggested something close to a Nirvana blade, which I still think about each time I use a Pm2. It was dismissed entirely, which in itself isn't a problem, it's not my company, I'm just one random guy.

Two years later come BladeHQ and suddenly, a PM2 with a sturdiest blade is possible. Not because the timing is right or because the idea makes more sens now, but because they have the clout and the means to make something very obvious happens. I mean, a PM2 with a sturdier blade is bound to kill it in popularity (and it did, it's probably the sprint run I've seen flying the fastest). Mind you it was a tanto, imagine a more conventional blade shape...

To add salt into the injury, it's a sprint run and as europeans, we had next to no chances to get one.

Now it's a wharncliff Pm2. Sure, collectors are happy I guess.

It's frustrating overall when good - obvious - idea aren't enough. I mean, let's get back to the Delica non-painted or wire clip. Who do you need to be to make it happens ? I've seen a bunch of popular youtube guys asking for it and even them, with 100k suscribers aren't enough. Why ?

It isn't a secret the knife world is the best at not giving people what they want. I mean, how many years before we finally got a Delica in s30v, which was probably the most obvious thing in the world. Of course it's pink and a sprint run, but still. For how long are we going to scrape the paint of our Delica clip ?