In the end, who are sprint runs up to?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Re: In the end, who are sprint runs up to?

Post by ChrisinHove »

Judging by the fact that there have been more than a few PM2 Tanto’s cropping up on the U.K. Spyderco fans FB group, (as well as StNicks, BHQ, etc. exclusives, Z-wear Shamans etc.) I would suggest that it’s either lack of effort, or lack of $$, that are the greatest obstacles to buying sprints and exclusives outside of the US.

Like many, I suspect, I find the level of entitlement voiced here a little wearisome.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Welp, I’d like to formally apologize for starting this mess of a thread, at least the mess is concentrated (somewhat) in one place...

Spyderco had done nothing but good for the knife industry and has been working overtime in this past very difficult year to continue to innovate and bring us new and interesting knives. Are there things that could be better? Sure there are, but let’s not get caught up in minutiae while everyone is clearly doing their best. If something is an issue, it will be eventually rectified. Spyderco does listen to us.

Thanks Sal and Taz for the wonderful explanations here, this forum is for these sorts of questions and I’m glad they can be answered. I’m sorry everything was derailed so much. Best of luck to everyone in the spyderco team, in what is hopefully the last leg of the pandemic.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

sal wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:31 am
Well, so much for the original question. Sorry we have so many frustrated customers.

Frankly, we've tried to solve many of these problems in the past and they've not worked out. We tried a distribution center in Europe more than once, both in Belgium and Netherlands. Not an inexpensive venture.

We made the tips sturdier tips on the Endura and Delica, and got and still get numerous complaints. Tantos have never done well for us. Actually this Tanto blade was designed by Eric, which in part helped its success. The Shaman was designed to be a heavy duty blade, and it' been well received.

For us complaints about price is always an issue, especially for European customers. We've not found a solution. We're always trying to improve clips and coatings. We try to listen to the requests of our customers and many come to fruition. It does seem that no matter what we do, or how much we do, there are complaints.

Eric's has talked about trying a custom shop. The knife-makers are willing. Covid has slowed that project.

If someone has a good idea, they present in here on the forum and its discussed. I am always watching the threads to see how much interest there is. It does seem like this thread was hijacked over a sturdier tip on the PM2, difficulties getting models in Europe, and the coatings on the Japanese clips?

If you think that you have a good idea, present it and we'll discuss it. Comparing us to digital companies, Chinese made companies, or any other comparison, Take a step back and see what we do....and not what we don't do?

sal
Hey Sal,

I don't ask for an European store, I know how hard it is to pull off. However and unless I read you wrong, Spyderco made the deliberate choice to not offer deep-carry clips themselves so third-party makers could strive. The intent is commendable, but it's a choice we Europeans do suffer from. It's something Spyderco could solve without throwing millions into an online store. It's not the right topic, but I've yet to met a Delica's user (not a collector) who doesn't sand off the black clip.

To get back on the topic, I don't think I hijacked anything. Someone asked how sprint-run shappens and I just lamented on the fact that you have to be a big store to make a PM2 with a sturdier point exist, despite being something me and a bunch of others have been waited for years. I don't ask for the current PM2 design to be rounded like the Delica is, I ask for a variant of sort for the many people who finds the point too delicate (and like everything else about the knife). The Spyderco Nirvana is one of the best designed blade I've ever seen and if I could throw one good idea at Spyderco, it would be to recycle that blade design into a PM2 handle for a PM2 alternative.

I agree that the Tanto blade on the BladeHQ exclusive is very different from the usual boring tanto we see. It only strengthen my point. It's probably not the tanto design in itself that attracted people that much, but probably the fact that you're finally able to buy a PM2 with a sturdier blade (or just a different blade design). The PM2 handle is a gem, always has been always will be.

To be entirely honest, you have a few dozens of white-knight who agree with everything Spyderco makes here on the forum, I've had my own fair share of problems with them. I'm not like that and I never will be. I don't want to make this place an even bigger echo-chamber than it is, every opinions should be welcomed, even the negative or the most critical ones (I find them the most interesting, to be honest).
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

When how you say something speaks louder than what you are saying. You have failed.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
rashman

Post by rashman »

sal wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:08 am
Hi Kristi,

Thanx much for your exceptional explanation, as I've come to expect from you.

Hi Rashman,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for the kind words.

sal
Hi Sal,
Thank you for the welcome and for all the fun & functional (knives & sharpeners!)
- rashman
current fav’s: K390 SS Stretch, PM2 CruWear Mircata, P.I.T.S., Subway Bowie