My very first Endura was stolen at gunpoint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearrowland

Re: My very first Endura was stolen at gunpoint

Post by bearrowland »

That's terrible, but I'm happy you both are safe. Welcome to the Forum, and feel free to vent.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear that you and your girlfriend are OK. That's all that matters.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Blnd wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:21 pm
Donut wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:12 pm
I'm glad that you're okay. It kind of sucks that the only thing the news paper said was height, build, age and hair color. =\
California. Any additional information may be construed as discriminatory and is omitted.
This stands out like a sore thumb, sad.

Glad the victims were physically unhurt.
NorWest_05

Post by NorWest_05 »

Thats terrible! I am glad you and your girlfriend are ok now. you can replace the spydie, but you cant replace your or your girlfriend's life. Im glad it didn't end up worse.

And welcome to the forum!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

First off GautamGoel I want to welcome you to the Spyderco Forum ( Spyderville :cool: ). And the title of your first thread really caught my eye immediately. It was just a little over 10 years ago I was held up at gunpoint myself. Mine happened deep into the night and I was held up by two illegal aliens who had a GLOCK handgun ( that they probably stole from someone) and the jerks could barely speak any English at all. That aspect of the holdup really contributed to the overall apprehension and ultimately made me angry beyond belief. That was the first and I'm hopeful it will be the last time I'm ever held up at gunpoint. I even did a thread about it here on the Forum shortly after it happened. It is in the archives of the OFF TOPIC part of the Forum. I sure learned a lot from that incident and I think I know a lot more as to how avoid that type of a situation in the future.

After I got over the initial shock and fear of having a handgun pointed at me at point blank range I had my fear turn into extreme anger and ended up prevailing thank GOD. But for some low life thug to take a great Spyderco folder from you just rubs salt into a tender wound needless to say. But thankfully you came out alive, unharmed and much wiser. You can always get another knife or more money or anything else of material value but it's always top priority to keep your body temperature at 98.6 ( keeping yourself alive in other words). It is such a cowardly, disgusting act when anyone goes to that extreme but at this time we're living in we've got a lot of desperate people out there >> so please every one of you be careful because this type of stuff happens so fast that most people are completely caught off guard.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

GautamGoel wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:07 pm
Hi guys,

Been meaning to make an account on here for ages. While I had hoped that my first post would be celebrating a NKD, I'm afraid the tone is a bit more sombre. Yesterday, as my girlfriend and I were walking home, we were mugged at gunpoint. The robbers demanded our possessions and relieved me of my favorite EDC, a Spyderco Endura 4 in s30v and teal FRN, which I had reflexively drawn as they ambushed us. You can read a news article about it here:

https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/2021/0 ... ry-school/

Sorry to start off on such a negative tone, I just needed a place to vent!
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... nd--112174
If you hurry it is still in stock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Hi NorWest,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

Blnd wrote:
Donut wrote:
I'm glad that you're okay. It kind of sucks that the only thing the news paper said was height, build, age and hair color. =\
California. Any additional information may be construed as discriminatory and is omitted.
Well then, I guess I should have said "It kind of sucks that you live in California." :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

If I were you, I'd probably go around and check the nearby pawn shops. Hopefully the person who stole it got lowballed when he tried to sell it and you might be able to get it back for a reasonable price.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That's sound advice. Once he gets an.idea that he has something of value, the money will be hard to resist. In my experience, 99 percent of items taken in an incident like this wind up in a pawn shop or traded for drugs.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Very sorry to hear that. It's important you speak to a professional, to make sure neither you nor your girlfriend develop PTSD from it. It's important to not understimate the effect of such an event, they always leave some mind-bruises.

You've made the right call in the end. Not a single physical object is worth puting you life on the line. It's a nice knife, but it's just that... a knife. I'm glad you behaved like an adult and didn't try to Steven Seagale your way out of the situation...

The Police will probably find the culprit in a short time. Those kind of thieves aren't very smart and they tend to repeat the same MO, which ultimately lead to their capture.

Just in case, it might be a good idea to check the area with two or three friends of yours, because there's a chance he did drop your knife somewhere close. I doubt he knew the value of it and probably decided to get rid of it in case the Police catch him. Street thieves don't keep stuff that could be easily identified and your Endura was exactly that : an easily identifiable belonging.

In the future, it could be smart to get a middle-size dog. Thieves don't tend to attack people if they have dogs with them. It will put your mind at ease.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I have been assaulted with a handgun before twice. Both time it was a very nasty situation. Sometimes you cannot avoid these situations. My suggestion is to give them everything that they want. I was thankful that I was not shot and killed both times.

Study the situation and see if there is any way that you can avoid this from ever happening again.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Blnd wrote:
Donut wrote:

So true, that. In Cali, it's a much greater sin to accurately and fully describe a perp, than it is to BE a perp. Welcome to the forum Gautam. We're all very pleased you're here and not in a hospital.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Sorry to hear about that. Glad you're safe. I'd look at it as another opportunity to buy another knife! Might as well jam in a positive in all that negative. Welcome to the forum.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Welcome, sounds like a good news story to me mate.
You pulled a knife you didn't have to use, you pulled a knife on somebody with a gun (never a good idea lol) you lost a bit of gear but you and your lady have come out safe.
Could have been a lot worse, glad you're ok.
GautamGoel

Post by GautamGoel »

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the kind words. You're absolutely right, no material possession is worth your life. I did check the area to see if they dropped anything, but no dice.

Agreed that's it's messed up how "PC" California has become - they won't even describe the perps in the interest of public safety! Such cowardice.

The most infuriating thing is that my Endura may be used by these idiots to commit future crimes. I'd hate to think that any knife I ever purchased ended up getting used to hurt or intimidate someone.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Hi Gautamgoel, Welcome to the forum, sorry for your loss... I have been held up twice at gunpoint, thrice at knifepoint and shot at once, so I kinda know the feeling...Glad you and your girlfriend are OK!
Monty

Post by Monty »

Interesting, third time I've read on a knife forum in the last few weeks of someone new to the forum getting robbed at gunpoint of their knife.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Monty wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:29 am
Interesting, third time I've read on a knife forum in the last few weeks of someone new to the forum getting robbed at gunpoint of their knife.

Do you want to imply something with your post or suspect something? (No offense at all (!!), just interest!)
Or do you just think it is a weird coincidence?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

Chapp wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:26 am
In the future, it could be smart to get a middle-size dog. Thieves don't tend to attack people if they have dogs with them. It will put your mind at ease.
Replace the word "dog" with "gun", and that was going to be my advice.