My very first Endura was stolen at gunpoint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GautamGoel

My very first Endura was stolen at gunpoint

Post by GautamGoel »

Hi guys,

Been meaning to make an account on here for ages. While I had hoped that my first post would be celebrating a NKD, I'm afraid the tone is a bit more sombre. Yesterday, as my girlfriend and I were walking home, we were mugged at gunpoint. The robbers demanded our possessions and relieved me of my favorite EDC, a Spyderco Endura 4 in s30v and teal FRN, which I had reflexively drawn as they ambushed us. You can read a news article about it here:

https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/2021/0 ... ry-school/

Sorry to start off on such a negative tone, I just needed a place to vent!
Attachments
IMG_20200920_153512.jpg
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: My very first Endura was stolen at gunpoint

Post by Doc Dan »

Man, that is terrible. I am so sorry you two had to live through that. At least they only took your knife and other possessions. It could have been worse.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum GautamGoel!

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I agree with Dan, it could've been worse. Still frightening and frustrating for you I'm sure. I hope the couple that robbed you get what they deserve someday
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

That sucks.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:56 am
That sucks.
Hopefully the description provided by the paper will help narrow down the search.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Drugs are bad...mmmkay! Scary times out there between the drug epidemic and poverty issues facing the country. I try not to go out at night if I don't have too. I get approached in the parking lots nearly everywhere I go around me and there are too many stories I read on nextdoor about all of the crazy crap that happens to people that the news won't report. Best to try to avoid being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Glad you are ok and sorry about the Endura! My first orange Endura is lost as well!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Sorry that happened to you, but I am glad you and your girlfriend are safe. That person will get caught inevitably and justice will be served, hopefully, before more victims are assaulted.

The old saying is true "never bring a knife to a gun fight". But you did everything you could in the situation, and it could of gone way worse. We love our EDCs and everyday objects but they will always be replaceable, lives cannot! On a side note but in the same frame...

It's ****** that we as taxpaying citizens can't walk through our own streets without the risk of being assaulted, injured, and worse case killed.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, GautamGoel:
Welcome to our forum. I'm sorry it's under such difficult circumstances, but I'm happy to hear that you and your girlfriend are OK.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

That's really lame, sorry to hear this. I've been mugged at knifepoint (on the T in Boston) and it's definitely no fun. I know it's no consolation for the one that was stolen, at least that version of the Endura is still available so you can hopefully replace it if the cops don't track it down (which I wouldn't hold my breath for). Welcome to the forum!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Things can be replaced, people cannot be. Glad you are safe and still with us.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

How very rude of them!

Glad you’re OK, and welcome to the forum!
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’m sorry that you and your girlfriend had such a horrible experience, but as others have said, at least neither of you were hurt, and things can be replaced.

Hopefully they will be caught soon.

*Edit to add:
I wasn’t able to read the news article for more details on the suspects on that website, because an ad keeps popping up and blocking it. Even after clicking the X to get rid of it, it pops up again the next time around. Oh, well...

Welcome to the forum!

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear you are both safe. The endura can be replaced.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

GautamGoel wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:07 pm

Sorry to start off on such a negative tone, I just needed a place to vent!

Holy cow, dawg! In that area I'd expect to be about as safe as anywhere. But on the bright side, you're both ok. While you might be out a few bucks, had you used your Spyderco to let their red stuff flow, you could very well be out more. You walked away, the sun is shining, and it's almost the weekend.
benben

Post by benben »

Very glad you're able to make your introduction here, knives are replaceable! Welcome aboard.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm glad that you're okay. It kind of sucks that the only thing the news paper said was height, build, age and hair color. =\
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Donut wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:12 pm
I'm glad that you're okay. It kind of sucks that the only thing the news paper said was height, build, age and hair color. =\
California. Any additional information may be construed as discriminatory and is omitted.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum and sorry to read what happened to your girlfriend and you! But glad you're ok!

I've never been robbed myself, but I know that concerning any potentially traumatic experience: Should it keep bothering you, impair your sleep, make you feel overly unsafe and so on: Better to seek professional help for two or three appointments sooner than later.
Perhaps there is even a free service for crime victims where you live or you get the costs refunded.

Anyway, hope you'll get your Endura back (actually my favorite folder of all times and all brands :) ) or you treat yourself to a new one... K390 and blue handle would be one of several great options...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Gautamgoel,

Welcome to our forum.

Sorry to hear of your experience. As mentioned, it could have been worse. Glad you are OK. Seems like the US is having its issues with crime?

sal
Matus

Post by Matus »

I would have wetted my pants, that's for sure, glad you both are unharmed. But now you you understand the actual meaning of "don't bring a knife to a gun fight". Take care.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...