Exclusive Questions for Sal, Kristy, or Michael Janich

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ugaarguy

Exclusive Questions for Sal, Kristy, or Michael Janich

Post by ugaarguy »

Spyderco team, Cutlery Shoppe has announced their exclusive wharncliffe blade Para Military 2 will be made available at 10 AM Mountain Time Friday morning, 2/26/21. They say it's a 900 piece run that won't be repeated. These are also just regular S30V blade steel and black G10 handles, not the normal S90V and orange G10 (or FRN) that's been a long standing CS exclusive blade steel and handle color combo.

From Sal's previous posts, I thought that exclusives were 1200 pieces minimum, and that Spyderco was encouraging dealers to order more since demand has become so high. From another previous post of Sal's, I read that dealers lose the right to exclusivity if an exclusive model isn't re-ordered on some form of regular basis. So, why is CS allowed to lock up this popular blade shape on a popular model with a single run of of only 900 pieces? I'd understand if they did this in their orange handle / S90V combo that they do many exclusives in, but I don't get letting them lock up a standard black handle / S30V combo. For comparison, BHQ has done several runs of their exclusive Tanto PM2 in the standard black handle / S30V combo, and just one run of jade G10 / M4 combo that's repeated on different models but never the same model. If dealers do need to reorder to keep exclusivity, then how long would another dealer (or Spyderco itself) need to wait to make another run of this variant, since CS has publicly stated, both on their website and on their social media accounts, that they have no intention to order further runs?

I'm not a big PM2 fan, so this model doesn't do much for me, but if Cutlery Shoppe's claims are true, it does make me worry that dealers are going to be able to lock out alternate blade shapes in standard handle and blade steel combos with a single, low quantity run.
steelcity16

Re: Exclusive Questions for Sal, Kristy, or Michael Janich

Post by steelcity16 »

** 900 PIECE LIMITED ONE-TIME RUN **

This brand new blade shape is exclusive to Cutlery Shoppe for the Para Military 2 & Para 3 platforms, and this is the "launch" knife and the first of many to come.

Looks like they are probably doing the minimum on the base black/S30V run(s), and then I'd venture to guess they will do some runs in their signature Orange G10 with CTS-XHP or S90V and probably some DLC and Satin variations. Don't fret! :D
Last edited by steelcity16 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ugaarguy,

Good questions. Kristi and Mike are on it for the answers.

sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

Doing blade shapes as dealer exclusives seems like a bad choice for the consumer and Spyderco. Especially on a wharncliffe which has proven very popular for Spyderco lately.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

For me the important question here is:
- Which exact blade shape on PM2 does "belong" to CS now?:
- Any wharncliffe shape?
' Or just this particular shape, so if Spyderco just changed some lines (curve of the spine for example) they could still do a regular production PM2 wharnie themselve?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Specific model/blade shape/steel/coating/handle type/handle color.
Spyderco or any other dealer can do the same thing if they change just one of those parameters?
If the dealer doesn't re order in a specific time, it's no longer exclusive, yes?

I don't see a problem with a dealer, or distributor taking a chance on something new, that Spyderco wouldn't do themselves.
Seems like a win all around, except for the dealer if it goes bust.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

My guess - Spyderco is now transitioning from S30V for their regular production knives and is making this steel available to dealers and distributors; Spyderco will likely do/or have option to do same knives as regular production knives, but in SPY27. Can these two steels exist in the line-up side x side otherwise?

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

araneae wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:06 pm
Doing blade shapes as dealer exclusives seems like a bad choice for the consumer and Spyderco. Especially on a wharncliffe which has proven very popular for Spyderco lately.
Absolutely agree.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

cycleguy wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:27 pm
My guess - Spyderco is now transitioning from S30V for their regular production knives and is making this steel available to dealers and distributors; Spyderco will likely do/or have option to do same knives as regular production knives, but in SPY27. Can these two steels exist in the line-up side x side otherwise?

CG
Seems unlikely since we know a few models are being produced S45vn?
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is a self defense minded person's dream knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jpm2 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:19 pm
Specific model/blade shape/steel/coating/handle type/handle color.
Spyderco or any other dealer can do the same thing if they change just one of those parameters?
If the dealer doesn't re order in a specific time, it's no longer exclusive, yes?

I don't see a problem with a dealer, or distributor taking a chance on something new, that Spyderco wouldn't do themselves.
Seems like a win all around, except for the dealer if it goes bust.

Right, you put it better than I did by listing other possible parameters!
So:
a.) Does any wharnie blade shape in a PM 2 "belong" to cutlery shop now?
b.) Does only this exact kind of wharnie blade shape "belong" to cs (so if for example the drop of the spine to the tip git changed a little bit THIS shape would NOT "belong" to them anymore)

For me it (sadly?) is pretty clear that no matter if it is a) or b), the "shape belongs" to cs in whatever steel the blade comes. So not like someone suggested just in S30V.
They say clearly on theit site (quote): "This brand new blade shape is exclusive to Cutlery Shoppe for the Para Military 2 & Para 3 platforms, and this is the "launch" knife and the first of many to come." Now since the S30V run will be limited to 900 pieces, that subsequently means there must be other steels for that knife in the future, right?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I don’t think there should be lifetime dealer exclusives on anything specially blade shapes. I can understand granting exclusives on blade shapes for a limited time.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:18 pm
I'm actually having trouble seeing why I'd want this one instead of my Canis.

I might have to buy it to compare in hand. :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:42 pm
Now since the S30V run will be limited to 900 pieces, that subsequently means there must be other steels for that knife in the future, right?
I'd be more interested in this model in a different, steel, so I hope so.

S90v would be nice. Or Cruwear.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:07 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:42 pm
Now since the S30V run will be limited to 900 pieces, that subsequently means there must be other steels for that knife in the future, right?
I'd be more interested in this model in a different, steel, so I hope so.

S90v would be nice. Or Cruwear.

I personally do like the PM2 (and still think everyone should try one at some point), but it is not my absolute favorite, and so I would not get a wharnie PM2, regardless of the steel (as others have mentioned: If a comp. lock wharnie, I´d go for the Yojimbo or do the "Evil D mod" on a Caribbean).

But: If they ever do a Manix LW wharnie in SE... that would be a different story... :rolleyes:
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:06 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Well to start, it's $38 cheaper than the canis.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:44 pm
araneae wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:06 pm
Absolutely agree.
I agree too. Color & Steel type is one thing but but blade shape doesn't seem right. I could see CS getting the Wharnie for CTS-XHP / Orange G10 but giving them the right to any PM2 with the Wharncliffe shape seems to broad. I feel the same regarding BHQ having rights to the Tanto version. Just doesn't seem right to me
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:21 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:06 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Well to start, it's $38 cheaper than the canis.
Also the Canis I got had a weak detent... I've always had better luck with Golden comp locks
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

It might be cheaper, but it's a 900 piece one-time batch. I'll stick with my Canis and forego the feeding frenzy on this one.
wridziwn

Post by wridziwn »

mikey177 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:39 pm
It might be cheaper, but it's a 900 piece one-time batch. I'll stick with my Canis and forego the feeding frenzy on this one.
As tbdoc4kids pointed out in the other thread, CS changed the text on the page to now just say "exclusive order" not "one time run". So they're obviously going to order more if it sells out immediately.

It's also similar to the RockJumper, not just the Canis. I'm liking the choil and comp lock and usa-made on this one though.