Wharncliffe Para Military 2 CUTLERY SHOPPE EXCLUSIVE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PeaceInOurTime

Re: Wharncliffe Para Military 2 CUTLERY SHOPPE EXCLUSIVE

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Chapp wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:56 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:35 pm
Still showing available 3.5 hours after launch. How long did the first batch of the BHQ Tanto PM2s last? I wonder if the availability of so many Seki back locks with wharnie blades; plus the Canis, Yojimbo, and Yojumbo; have tempered demand for this blade shape, even in a PM2.
Lol, the Tanto went out of stocks very fast.

I know some people want to think everything as equal or want to believe their tastes are the norm, but we don't need to be geniuses to figure a Tanto PM2 would be way more popular than a PM2 wharncliff.

It just comes down to that. If you read the forum, you'd think wharncliff and serrated edge are popular. Outside of the forum is a very different story.

I'd agree with this. What is shown in the Spyderco forum is quite different than the knife enthusiasts across the world.

Wharncliffes are gaining popularity, but as far as I can tell, the majority of knife enthusiasts still want a blade with belly and the tip placement above the centerline of the handle -- no longer my preference.

I thought this W-PM2 would be an easy pass for me due to the compression lock, but now I'm kind of fighting the urge to try it out as my first PM2.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've shown my Wharnie/SE Delica to the 4 other guys at work that are into knives, none of them thought much of it or they thought it looked dumb "like an egg cut in half" one of them said haha. So from first hand experience, I have to agree as well about people not caring for the design, granted two of them just collect outrageous knives you'd never edc.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

It's almost like Spyderco tries to make some knives ugly. The spine profile is just wrong.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

They finally went out of stock. So how long was that, 11 hours?
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Chapp wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:
Still showing available 3.5 hours after launch. How long did the first batch of the BHQ Tanto PM2s last? I wonder if the availability of so many Seki back locks with wharnie blades; plus the Canis, Yojimbo, and Yojumbo; have tempered demand for this blade shape, even in a PM2.

I know some people want to think everything as equal or want to believe their tastes are the norm, but we don't need to be geniuses to figure a Tanto PM2 would be way more popular than a PM2 wharncliff.

It just comes down to that. If you read the forum, you'd think wharncliff and serrated edge are popular. Outside of the forum is a very different story.
Yet, historically tantos have not sold well for Spyderco. And in the real world, wharncliffes have sold so well for Spyderco that they offer the blade shape on several models. You don't have to make snide remarks and put words in my mouth. I'm also well aware that my tastes aren't the norm. I don't like the way the PM2 and Para 3 feel in my hand. I'm from the deep south of the US. I like to eat boiled peanuts, fried pork rinds, and sweet onions. Other southerners think I'm weird because I don't like raw tomatoes. But I also like sushi, sashimi, and single malt Scotch. I embraced my weirdness long ago.
WRB

Post by WRB »

I love it, but S30V and black G10 is a combo that I don't want/need in any knife. The second they come in a different steel and color I'll be all over it.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Too many exclusives these days - which are mainly for US customers.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

ugaarguy wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:20 pm
Yet, historically...
...I'm from the deep south of the US. I like to eat boiled peanuts, fried pork rinds, and sweet onions. Other southerners think I'm weird because I don't like raw tomatoes. But I also like sushi, sashimi, and single malt Scotch. I embraced my weirdness long ago.
Lol we’re pretty similar in those regards!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:18 pm
"like an egg cut in half"
Sick burn lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

A Para3 Wharncliffe might be intriguing.
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

Did anyone get a shipping confirmation yet? Usually, they are pretty quick.
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

camvdcs wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:39 am
As soon as I posted this, I get an email that its shipped. :)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Cl1ff wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:58 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Yet, historically...
...I'm from the deep south of the US. I like to eat boiled peanuts, fried pork rinds, and sweet onions. Other southerners think I'm weird because I don't like raw tomatoes. But I also like sushi, sashimi, and single malt Scotch. I embraced my weirdness long ago.
Lol we’re pretty similar in those regards!
Lol, it's great to find another oddball to share the misery with :D
James Y

Post by James Y »

ugaarguy wrote:
I'm from the deep south of the US. I like to eat boiled peanuts, fried pork rinds, and sweet onions. Other southerners think I'm weird because I don't like raw tomatoes. But I also like sushi, sashimi, and single malt Scotch. I embraced my weirdness long ago.

I’d probably be considered weirder than you, because I’m of Japanese descent and I don’t like sashimi! But I do like some sushi. My tastes are all over the place. I like Mexican, Italian, etc., if I can get it (or make it) gluten-free (I have gluten sensitivity).

As for the PM2, it took me 6 years to warm up to mine after I bought one. Mine just sat on a dresser until one day I decided to carry and use it. Before that, it just seemed kinda “meh” to me.

I’m not interested in either a tanto or a Wharncliffe PM2; but if I had to choose, I’d take the Wharncliffe any day.

Jim
Elshauno

Post by Elshauno »

camvdcs wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:56 am
camvdcs wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:39 am
As soon as I posted this, I get an email that its shipped. :)
Mine still says waiting fulfillment 🙁
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

Wow I missed this one because I did not check the Forum for a bit. Surprised no email from Cutlery Shoppe, I have purchased many knives from them. I will let the secondary market settle down and grab one.
Tabo

Post by Tabo »

Did anyone receive theirs that ordered yet? Mine was shipped Friday and was suppose to be delivered today but the tracking just shows “in transit” since Saturday.

Just wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts and see some in the wild pictures.
Foundry81

Post by Foundry81 »

I received mine this morning, looks great!
Peacedivision

Post by Peacedivision »

Tabo wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:52 pm
Did anyone receive theirs that ordered yet? Mine was shipped Friday and was suppose to be delivered today but the tracking just shows “in transit” since Saturday.

Just wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts and see some in the wild pictures.

Arrived last night and went right in the pocket after a clip swap. Typical Pm2 now with my favorite blade shape.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

ugaarguy wrote:
Chapp wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:

Yet, historically tantos have not sold well for Spyderco. And in the real world, wharncliffes have sold so well for Spyderco that they offer the blade shape on several models. You don't have to make snide remarks and put words in my mouth. I'm also well aware that my tastes aren't the norm. I don't like the way the PM2 and Para 3 feel in my hand. I'm from the deep south of the US. I like to eat boiled peanuts, fried pork rinds, and sweet onions. Other southerners think I'm weird because I don't like raw tomatoes. But I also like sushi, sashimi, and single malt Scotch. I embraced my weirdness long ago.
I don't necessarily think that these are accurate statements.

I think we sometimes underestimate the power of BladeHQ's marketing & social media.. They do more of it than pretty much any other shop I know of and it has led to some extremely popular drops. For example, the PM2 Tanto..

I recall seeing posts about the Tanto on BHQ's facebook, instantgram, on silly youtube videos, here on the forum, etc. weeks in advance of the drop. And I think Eric actually teased it in a Blade Show video months prior to that. There were pages and pages of chatter about it here on the forum. I don't pretend to be someone who spends a whole lot of time on the internet or looking at social media, but even I heard about the PM2 Tanto well ahead of the drop because I follow just a handful of knife groups that all posted about it ad nauseam! And sure enough, day of, the Tantos sell out almost immediately, because everyone and their mother has decided they wanted one by then.. websites crash and calamity ensues.

By contrast, Cutlery Shoppe released a lone instagram postabout the PM2 Wharncliffe two days before it dropped, seemingly out of thin air! And it seems that's it?! It gained a little bit of traction here on the forum, but hardly any compared to the Tanto. I also saw a singular post about the PM2 Wharncliffe on one of Spyderco's social accounts. Compared with BHQ, the marketing here is next to nothing on this model. And still, 900 PM2 Wharncliffes sell out in a day! That's wild! I'd call that an incredible success for CS and plenty popular in its own right given the level of "marketing" for this specific model..

Actually, thinking on this now, I almost kind of wish more shops would handle drops like CS did with this one.. It might give more true Spyderco nuts a shot at them before the internet decides they are "popular" and they sell out in only a few minutes..

;)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..