Seki or Golden Yellow?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Yellow preference

Seki Yellow
54%
Golden Yellow
46%

Total votes: 37

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Seki or Golden Yellow?

Post by Doc Dan »

Spyderco has two yellows for Salt knives in regular production. The Seki seems a little mellower and the Golden one a little more intense, for lack of a better word. Maybe it has a bit more orange in it, just the tiniest bit. I do not know.

Why are the colors different? Is it the way the different materials take the color? Or, did Spyderco intentionally make them different. I do not know that, either.

I think for everyday use I like the Seki yellow best. Which color do you all prefer?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JakeXman

Re: Seki or Golden Yellow?

Post by JakeXman »

I’m curious about this too...the colors are different enough that I’d assume it was a conscious decision.
0E983A22-4E25-44FC-ACB9-A9F641A8F31D.jpeg
Picture for reference
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Sal has mentioned before that dying FRN is a tricky and fickle process. I think once they find a formula that works consistently with the equipment they have on hand they stick with it, instead of trying to match. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I prefer the Golden yellow. It's a little more lively and less washed-out.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ok, Doc, since it´s you my friend I´ll try and think hard... ;) ......... ok, perhaps Golden Yellow a tiny bit, if one pointed a gun to my head. But actually I don´t care too much for colors on folders. I generally like to have a good amount of bright colored ones, but pretty much mostly for practical reasons (harder to loose or forget in the outdoors).

Ok, thinking about it: There is something about the Endura blue and also burnt orange for me that I like :rolleyes: ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Although there are black FRN H1 Seki made salts, the greatest number of Seki salts are with a yellow FRN handle. In order to distinguish Seki made LC200N salts from their H1 made models, they were give the Green FRN handle. USA made LC200N salts with FRN handles are/will be yellow like the Native 5 salt and the upcoming UKPK salt which I am so looking forward to.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Golden yellow for me
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JMM

Post by JMM »

I'd say Golden for me, and if you're going to try for "Toxic Green" via blue Rit dye, Golden seems to give you the brightness associated (to me at least) with "Toxic Green"
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Can't wait to get my first golden yellow in the salt ukpk... I'm hoping it's the same color as the salt native.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Golden for me, reminds me of the yellow jeeps that were popular in the late 90s & early 2000s. Both are fine though.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Seki for me. The colors, the texture, the feel, the durability, etc all are better on the Seki in my opinion. I no longer own any Golden FRN/FRCP stuff. I am interested to see what the Tenacious LW FRN is like once I get my S35VN version. I enjoy the Chap LW FRN as well. I know off-topic, but felt like sharing.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Seki yellow is better in a boat as it’s different to most other Golden colour looking stuff also on the boat.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
archangel

Post by archangel »

I've just realized that I have ZERO Golden FRN. :eek:

I have to vote pro Seki. The Golden yellow is warmer, tends towards orange. I love orange, in fact it's my favourite color. But here, on scales, the Seki yellow is closer to what I call true yellow. And if they intend to be yellow, then the Seki scales are the better result.

TGB's post with Sal's reasoning is probably the answer to the question why there is a difference. The production equipment is most likely different, so the result can't be the same.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Handle color doesn't much matter to me. Don't get me wrong. Seki makes some mighty fine Salt knives. However, I could be mistaken, but since the first of the year, I'm under the impression that Golden made LC200N knives are a better value than the Seki LC200N knives.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Either. They both rit dye dark blue nicely!
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

The native 5 salt yellow looks nicer for mine.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i think i prefer the golden yellow as a color, but i prefer the seki yellow for marine applications, so i prefer it on my salt knives. when i first got my native salt, i liked that yellow better, but it's not as bright under water. it looked pretty on hawaiian trails, but the slightly darker tint wasn't as good as the more pale yellow in the water.

this thread needs more pictures. also, i'm missing hawaii a little bit right now.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I prefer Seki yellow.

Nothing wrong with the Golden yellow, it just reminds me of the yellow on a school bus. Maybe a little less orange than that.

I'm more of a buttercream yellow fan, myself. Seki isn't that far. But, it is a much "softer" shade of a yellow.

I wouldn't not buy, either of them, due to the shade.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Third option: Yes
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I don’t own any Golden-made yellow knives, so I never even considered the color difference. Looking at the photos, the Golden yellow looks more saturated and tending more towards orange, or even towards a gold color, which seems fitting. I like them all.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've never even noticed until now. Looking at them side by side, I 'prefer' the Golden shade, but it obviously makes no difference to me in the real world.

My most often carried knife (because it's always on my key chain no mater what else rotates through EDC) is Seki yellow.