There's something that's a little overdue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Re: There's something that's a little overdue

Post by archangel »

Forget that I said anything. I'm just a guest here. :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:00 am
TenGrainBread wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:31 pm
Same here. I like the new banner. Helps that the Police is my favorite model.

Funny, on my laptop I just see the bullets, but not the Police (only the tip of it) - see pic 1

On Mushrooms screenshot though all of the banner can be seen... see pic 2 :confused: :confused:

I also can't see the full image.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:05 am
archangel wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:36 am
I like to think of them primarily as tools rather than weapons. Don't you?

Try cutting with a bullet. Bullets only have one purpose.

I do, but you can also just as easily be murdered by a hammer, screwdriver, rock or stick. I could beat you to death with a textbook if I tried hard enough. An object isn't a weapon until it's used as one. Shooting is even in the Olympics and nobody does. I take my family to the range to shoot and we have a blast shooting targets, it's literally wholesome family fun. My guns have never been used as a weapon just as your knives haven't but if either of our lives are threatened I bet we'd use whatever it takes to stay alive, and if you say you wouldn't then maybe I just value my life more than you do yours.

I think the gun-thing is perhaps were US and European culture differ the most.
And I don't find that to be a problem at all, just interesting.
Again, while I personally am totally fine with the banner, I just can report that this will be different for many of my fellow Europeans. Just a totally different background than in the US.
In Europe handguns are not a part of every day life at all, no one carries one and a person not in uniform owning one will often be instininctively associated with being a real weirdo, criminal or secret super cop... :p
Just how it is here, no matter if one likes it or not...;) (and NOT MY OWN opinion!!)

Guns are also not part of life in a negative way.
I can recall a statistics from mid 2018 or 19 or 20 (don't recall): In the US there had been already over 250 shootings at that point of the year, in Europe was one country with 2 shootings, two or three countries with 1 and all the others: Zero. So naturally people here also feel much less need to carry a gun for protection.
Different here, as said.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Even the word "Police" is heavily politicized these days. There is no escaping from those who want to turn everything into a political battlefield.
I would change the picture to only show a Spyderco knife and I would suggest the Hobbit Warrior. ;) <could not resist, sorry>
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:24 am
Even the word "Police" is heavily politicized these days. There is no escaping from those who want to turn everything into a political battlefield.
I would change the picture to only show a Spyderco knife and I would suggest the Hobbit Warrior. ;) <could not resist, sorry>

:p
But should you refer to my posts a bit:
Don't kill the messenger! ;)
I am just reporting how I think it is here in Europe, this has nothing to do with my personal opinion (I won't discuss political opinions here, but have said already: I personally am fine with the pic... ;) )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:37 am
JRinFL wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:24 am

:p
But should you refer to my posts a bit:
Don't kill the messenger! ;)
I am just reporting how I think it is here in Europe, this has nothing to do with my personal opinion (I won't discuss political opinions here, but have said already: I personally am fine with the pic... ;) )
Hi! No, it was not directed at you or our other European friends. It was just a statement on the current state of affairs around the world where every aspect of life has been politicized.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
araneae

Post by araneae »

archangel wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:12 pm
Can I say that I find the bullets and gun magazine misplaced? This is a Spyderco knives' forum. No need to display weapon equipment.
It does seem like an odd choice. Perhaps if this was a LEO forum it would be more fitting.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

araneae wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:09 am
archangel wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:12 pm
It does seem like an odd choice. Perhaps if this was a LEO forum it would be more fitting.
At least it would be interesting to know why Spyderco did choose this particular sujet as a permanent (?) banner for a world wide, international discussion forum.
Not saying if it is good or bad, but certainly a bit controversial and non-US-folks who come to the forum for the first time might get a wrong impression. And perhaps WILL think at first that this a LEO- or gun forum.

Not a big deal, but as said just interesting what the motivations and reasons behind the choice might be.
carrot

Post by carrot »

Guns or not I don't really care, but I think that a Spyderco knife could get a lot better placement than this.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hey, everyone:
The image is one that we've used in our advertising. Yes, it is one that is used in the more tactical publications that we advertise in, but there was NO message intended. As most of you are aware, Spyderco knives are carried and used by law enforcement officers, military personnel, and first responders around the world. It represents just one place where our knives are used and it's an iconic model that we've recently featured in several places.

Our knives are also carried by hunters, outdoor enthusiasts, climbers, divers, fisherman (and women), collectors, knife knuts, steel junkies, chefs, and countless others. We respect and serve them all. My thoughts were to change the banner more frequently and share some of the graphics that we create to share Spyderco with all of our customers. This is just the first one.

We are aware that our audience is global, and not everyone shares the same interests or carries a knife for the same reasons. We've used similar images in all of our social media channels, and those are changed frequently too.

Again, there was no hidden message or intended slight. We value all of our members, and I believe our actions prove that's true. Hopefully, as we cycle through some other images you'll be able to find one that speaks to you. Please refrain from conjecture or political commentary. ;)

Kristi

P.S.
If you still can't see the full image, please clear your cache (in your browser settings - vivi posted how to step-by-step earlier in this thread).
There is nothing more important than this one day.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Clearing the cache worked for me.

OMG. BULLETS AND A POINTY THING! WILL NO-ONE THINK OF THE CHIL...

Sorry - I thought I was still on my knitting forum.

In all seriousness, I consider myself as a guest in an American establishment, and this looks pretty American to me.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Looks good to me, but I'm the target market. ;)
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Kristi, I think your compromise to change the banner periodically showing multiple uses is a great one. Seems like adding more work to your plate but if it's easy enough I think it's a great idea regardless of this discussion. I think the current Spyderco copy and graphics are super creative (like the Catalog and Reveal covers lately) and showcasing a variety of them would be appreciated.
vivi

Post by vivi »

archangel wrote:
I like to think of them primarily as tools rather than weapons. Don't you?

Try cutting with a bullet. Bullets only have one purpose.
Spyderco Warrior, Pygmy Warrior, Yojimbo, Yojumbo, Chinook, Reverse, Pikal, Swick 5&6, Endura wave, Ronin, MBC concepts in general......seems odd to have issues with weapons while simultaneously supporting a company that makes them.

Bullets are inanimate objects, the users define the purpose. They can be for hunting to feed your family because that's the only way your kids will have meat for dinner. They can be for target shooting because your job requires you to be proficient. They can be forself defense. They're used for pest control in more rural areas.

Just like an Endura can be a letter opener or something more nefarious depending on who holds it.

Guns must be peceived differently in Germany. Where I live I can pick up a box of ammo, some groceries and a case of beer at the same shop down the road.

Knives and guns go together like peanut butter and jelly over here. If you're into one, chances are you're into the other :p
:unicorn
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

A cycled banner sounds lovely!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Donut wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:26 pm
It's not overdue, it's just suffering from the Y2K bug. :)
Haha! I’m glad I’m not the only one that still jokes about the Y2K bug.

Congrats on 20+ years Sal! I’m honored to be here since 2009. I don’t know where time has gone.
araneae

Post by araneae »

vivi wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:34 am

Knives and guns go together like peanut butter and jelly over here. If you're into one, chances are you're into the other :p
They may for some, but I have a co-worker who is recently getting into knives and when I showed her a recent Cutlery Shoppe post that featured a Para 2 and gun combo, she commented about the gun. It wasn't a positive correlation for her. As a gun owner in the US, I don't really feel they go together any more than pants and guns do, but YMMV.

Cycling through images seems like a good idea.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TazKristi wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:51 am
We value all of our members, and I believe our actions prove that's true. Hopefully, as we cycle through some other images you'll be able to find one that speaks to you. P
vivi wrote:
archangel wrote:
Guns must be peceived differently in Germany.

I think showing the various applications where Spydercos shine by a cycling banner is a great idea!!! :) /

For me personally it is important to point out once more:

- All I said in this thread is NOT about what I personally think about guns, the banner and so on (again, I personally am fine with it!)

- But if I was a consultant for Spyderco for European matters
:
This is just what I would have to tell them and is how it is here, regardless if you, me, might like/understand it or not.
Many people in Europe just DO associate negative or weird stuff with handguns and just WILL get a certain impression when the first thing they see on an international forum would be a permanent (which it is not as Kristi said) banner showing bullets and magazines. Again, regardless of what you, me might think about that. This is a fact.
I am certainly not the typical European in that regard, since I am very interested in US politics, watch a lot of US news outlets on youtube and know about and respect all the background here! But many Europeans just don´t know a lot about intern US matters.

Now there are two approaches to handle this:
1.) Spyderco as a proud American company puts a pretty "American" banner on top of their forum, and guests are guests and have to appreciate a slightly different culture. Totally fine!
2.) Spyderco calculates a bit more how certain typical American things might be perceived in other cultures and adapt to this to some degree (also from a marketing point of view): Totally fine too, just two different approaches

@Vivi: I think you and many Americans really can´t imagine how different guns are perceived here as long as you haven´t lived here for some time. As said, the general perception, but also the importance of guns is most likely the biggest difference between US an European culture.
A (bad, but still ;) )analogy would be:
In culture A it is very normal to hug and kiss on the cheek people/friends when you meet them. Everybody is used to that
In culture B there is a lot more distance and such a behaviour would be seen as not appropriate and weird.
Both fine, just different. ;)

I´ll leave it here - too off topic, but such variations in western (or any) culture just fascinate me... :rolleyes: :)
archangel

Post by archangel »

Cycling of images is just about perfect! :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Spyderco sells knives intended for first responders and law enforcement. They also sell knives intended for self defense. I don’t understand the issue.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?