Techno 2 CQI?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JustSomeFeller

Techno 2 CQI?

Post by JustSomeFeller »

Does anyone have info on the techno 2 CQI changes? It seems a couple of makers of aftermarket scales for the model have found their scales don’t fit anymore, but I don’t recall seeing any announcement and can barely even find a mention of this anywhere online. Seems like it happened sometime in the past year-ish. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
VooDooChild

Re: Techno 2 CQI?

Post by VooDooChild »

No idea.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
pkl

Post by pkl »

Not 100% about this as I don't have any Technos, but from the online pictures I've seen I believe it may have to do with the position of the clip standoff/screws. In some pictures the screw is offset toward the end of the clip channel, and in others it's more in the center of the channel.

They've made a similar CQI change to the clip screw position on the FRN Chaparral.
mtb2104

Post by mtb2104 »

Based on my Techno 2 measurements on distances between screws, I was told mine is a CQI version.

Dated "BT".. Feb 2020 I guess

between the clip & top standoff:
mine reads approximately 0.82"
pre-CQI seems to be 1.135"

between the clip & pivot:
mine reads approximately 2.55"
pre-CQI seems to be 2.875"

Seems they moved the clip position
razehound

Post by razehound »

*posting this reply because I haven't been able to locate a concrete answer online*

So here's what I've just found looking at my own new techno 2.

look at the location of the clip screw hole in the clip cutout pre-cqi:

and the cqi:

There's your difference.
-razehound :spyder: Spydiechef, Paramilitary 2, Para 3 LW, Salt 2 SE, Spydiechef, Para 3 LW

I'd rather get caught with it than without it...
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Looking at my Techno 2, it seems that mine is pre-CQI. I wonder if aside from the clip screw position, are there any more CQI changes to this. Was this ever announced? What benefit is there to the change?
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I don't recall this CQI on the Techno 2 ever being announced publicly but announcing CQI changes is not something I've ever seen Spyderco do regularly. They have mentioned some CQI changes on a select few occasions but other than that its usually just done behind the scenes. (Which I personally prefer.)

I'm just guessing but maybe the changed clip position improves clip retention or it holds the clip in place a little more securely. There could be a number a reasons for the change.
-Nick :bug-red
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:37 am
I don't recall this CQI on the Techno 2 ever being announced publicly but announcing CQI changes is not something I've ever seen Spyderco do regularly. They have mentioned some CQI changes on a select few occasions but other than that its usually just done behind the scenes. (Which I personally prefer.)
I'd prefer the opposite and I'll never understand Spyderco on that particular point. I mean, that seems like a huge miss in terms of communication and a good case of "doing things our own way" messing with clear information to consumers buying your products.

I'd rather have a public list of the CQI and reasons for the change. For someone like me who likes to know about those little things, it's been a nightmare trying to track down CQI for some models I like.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Chapp wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:58 am
Mushroom wrote:
I'd prefer the opposite and I'll never understand Spyderco on that particular point. I mean, that seems like a huge miss in terms of communication and a good case of "doing things our own way" messing with clear information to consumers buying your products.

I'd rather have a public list of the CQI and reasons for the change. For someone like me who likes to know about those little things, it's been a nightmare trying to track down CQI for some models I like.
I can only assume they have their reasons for not wanting to publicly call out every little rolling change.

I like CQI but what I don't like is how it lowers the value of original versions. You buy a knife early in the model's production life and then a CQI version gets released. Now everybody wants the lastest CQI version and you have to take a big hit if you decide to part ways with your original version. We take the bad with the good in Spydieland I guess
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Chapp wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:58 am
Mushroom wrote:

As a customer myself, I absolutely understand wanting to know about every CQI change. Especially with regards to the models I actually own. I just don't believe it is necessary for Spyderco to announce it every single time.

At the same time though, I don't think it's something they try to hide. They have always been open to sharing information concerning CQI that has happened. When we ask here we usually do get an answer from Kristi, Mike, or Sal.

I feel it's worth mentioning that CQI (constant quality improvement) is not a process that is unique to Spyderco. Also, Spyderco did not create it. It is a process implemented in many different industries and as the name would suggest, is constantly happening.

To add on to Sharp Guy's point, once people know about CQI happening on a knife, it could lead to the perception that the version without the CQI is inferior and it will be refused or expected at a massive discount. Effectively making the unsold stock without CQI unsellable or barely profitable.
-Nick :bug-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:42 am

To add on to Sharp Guy's point, once people know about CQI happening on a knife, it could lead to the perception that the version without the CQI is inferior and it will be refused or expected at a massive discount. Effectively making the unsold stock without CQI unsellable or barely profitable.
I think I remember this happening with the original Advocate... Most wanted the cqi version instead of the non-cqi
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:52 am
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:42 am

I think I remember this happening with the original Advocate... Most wanted the cqi version instead of the non-cqi
👍 Same with the Kapara
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!