Sharpening 8Cr13MoV Byrd's Beak

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Menipo

Sharpening 8Cr13MoV Byrd's Beak

Post by Menipo »

I just bought a G-10 Meadowlark to test the PE capabilities of the mainland Chinese cousins ​​of my Spydies (I already have a SE Cara Cara).

While it cuts decently out of the box, it has nothing to do with the Syderco PE cutting edge I am used to. So I'm going to sharpen it conveniently (and seize the occasion to reprofile it).

I was thinking of putting a 15 dps edge on it but I have wondered if it is a good idea considering that it is 8Cr13MoV. What the voice of experience says? I would appreciate any guidance. Thanks in advance
Last edited by Menipo on Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Evil D

Re: Sharpening 8Cr13MoV Byrd's Beak

Post by Evil D »

15 should be fine but a 20 degree micro bevel is probably a good idea, depends on your use.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:17 pm
15 should be fine but a 20 degree micro bevel is probably a good idea, depends on your use.

Thanks, David! My idea is to use and "abuse" the Meadowlark to the limit, although only in knife tasks (for example, I would never use it as a pry bar). In other words, to use it without compassion (something that I still don't dare to do with the Delica) :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Menipo wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:30 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:17 pm

Thanks, David! My idea is to use and "abuse" the Meadowlark to the limit, although only in knife tasks (for example, I would never use it as a pry bar). In other words, to use it without compassion (something that I still don't dare to do with the Delica) :D

Might be a good idea to sharpen it the same as your other steels so you get a fair comparison.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:40 pm

Might be a good idea to sharpen it the same as your other steels so you get a fair comparison.

15-16 dps is the standard for my other steels and I was planning to follow the rule precisely to compare but I was hesitant because I read that 8Cr13Mov is fairly soft and didn't want to see a massive chipping/rolling. The microbevel is a sound idea. I never put microbevels in my knifes but there's always a first time for everything. ;)
Last edited by Menipo on Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Spyderco doesn't use any steels that won't support a 15 degree per side edge, 8Cr included.
:unicorn
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

vivi wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:56 pm
Spyderco doesn't use any steels that won't support a 15 degree per side edge, 8Cr included.

Thanks Vivi. Good to know.
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

Menipo wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:49 pm
15-16 dbp is the standard for my other steels and I was planning to follow the rule precisely to compare but I was hesitant because I read that 8Cr13Mov is fairly soft and didn't want to see a massive chipping/rolling. The microbevel is a sound idea. I never put microbevels in my knifes but there's always a first time for everything. ;)
I rebeveled my cara cara 2 at 15 dps and on the second edge, it wasn't particularly enthused after 20 feet of double wall cardboard. I only cut about 10 feet or so of single wall low weight cardboard before that double wall box. There could have been some hidden chunks of adhesive on the double wall but for whatever reason I rolled two areas. Microbevel might have prevented that.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I've never had 8cr ever chip after some pretty abusive treatment. But it will roll (and bend). Heck I had a Efficient that I literally straightened the tip with an anvil and hammer. Actually that was my gateway to Spyderco's. Loved the ergos on that knife and gifted it to a college student. Sorry for the ramble detour.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Many thanks for your input!

Done. 16 dps. I will try first without the microbevel just to be fair when comparing with other steels. Then, listening to you, the microbevel will come, I'm afraid.