Salt 2 or native 5 salt?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TenGrainBread

Re: Salt 2 or native 5 salt?

Post by TenGrainBread »

FWIW my Native Salt has the 2nd best action of my numerous Spyderco backlocks, behind my incredibly smooth ZDP Endura. I've been using that Native for about a year and it's always been good
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:13 pm
But so you settled on the Native Salt?
I think so, it's got a feeling of solidity I've never felt from any seki's (no offense). The native never fails.

Although I still wish it came in g10...
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
kobold

Post by kobold »

Another vote for the Native and if it will get gross as you say, then definitely the Native, as it is more easy to take apart and deep clean properly than the delica.
Last edited by kobold on Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:22 am
Another vote for the Native and if it will get gross as you say, then definitely the Native, as it is easy to take apart and deep clean properly.

Why should the Native Salt be easier to take apart than the also linerless, also backlock, also FRN Salt 2 ?! :confused:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:35 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:13 pm
But so you settled on the Native Salt?
I think so, it's got a feeling of solidity I've never felt from any seki's (no offense). The native never fails.

Although I still wish it came in g10...

Native Salt is a great choice anyway! Can´t go wrong with it. :)

Just for me still behind the Salt 2, for the reasons mentioned (Salt 2: thinner blade, lighter weight, better carry (for me), 10 % more cutting edge, better ergos (for me!), a lot more space on the FRN handle and a Ricasso where one still can choke up like on a choil.
The Native though looks really cool and has an AMAZING backlock. Not that the Seki Salt / Delica backlock is bad (it is not at all), but the Natives is something else! :) )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Your choice is probably already made, but I'd go with the Salt 2. The Native 5 is kind of "big" compared to the Salt 2.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:47 am
kobold wrote:
Another vote for the Native and if it will get gross as you say, then definitely the Native, as it is easy to take apart and deep clean properly.

Why should the Native Salt be easier to take apart than the also linerless, also backlock, also FRN Salt 2 ?! :confused:

Sorry for not being clear.. I was emphasizing the advantages of the Native vs the Delica, which was mentioned previously in this thread.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:13 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:47 am
kobold wrote:

Sorry for not being clear.. I was emphasizing the advantages of the Native vs the Delica, which was mentioned previously in this thread.

I see! Then you´re totally right of course! :)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Forget the ''solidity'' of the Native Salt. It just doesn't feel well in hand and that oversized finger choil takes too much from the needed cutting edge. Salt2 is the superior knife ....you know you want it, you just need a push. I understand you :D
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:24 am
Forget the ''solidity'' of the Native Salt. It just doesn't feel well in hand and that oversized finger choil takes too much from the needed cutting edge. Salt2 is the superior knife ....you know you want it, you just need a push. I understand you :D
No, you have it backwards. The Delica / Salt 2 doesn't feel good in the hand, and their ricasso takes away edge length without providing extra grip length like the Native's finger choil. If you were like me and had "sausage fingers", as Nick Shabazz calls them, you'd understand. :p
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ugaarguy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:43 pm
elena86 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:24 am
No, you have it backwards. The Delica / Salt 2 doesn't feel good in the hand, and their ricasso takes away edge length without providing extra grip length like the Native's finger choil. If you were like me and had "sausage fingers", as Nick Shabazz calls them, you'd understand. :p

No, no, YOU have it double backwards: The choil of the Native takes away both edge length and available handle space, so that one with larger hands has to choke up on the choil! The Delica / Salt though offers a roomy handle, that places the hand close to the edge already, and most folks can still choke up on that Ricasso should need be :p :p

(In all honesty: BOTH are great knives to pick the personal poison from! :))
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Salt 2 Salt 2 Salt 2 ... 2 2 2 get the 2!
I mean, get both :D