Manix 2 Chop????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
StrawberryRocketFuel

Manix 2 Chop????

Post by StrawberryRocketFuel »

Hi all!

Anyone want/seen a Manix 2 chop job? Down to the size of a Sage 5 or Native? Love to see them if so. I love the look of the manix 2 but its just to big for me as is :/
Wartstein

Re: Manix 2 Chop????

Post by Wartstein »

StrawberryRocketFuel wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:40 pm
Hi all!

Anyone want/seen a Manix 2 chop job? Down to the size of a Sage 5 or Native? Love to see them if so. I love the look of the manix 2 but its just to big for me as is :/

Welcome to the forum! :)

A lil Manix has been discussed here lately, it might interest you: https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=86133

I generally would absolutely like to see a lot more CBBL knives in all sizes!

For me personally though the current Manix 2 LW is already on the small side
If it gets "chopped": For me it would be of real importance that the "hook" at the end of the handle would be "chopped off" and the handle end would be flat / level, so the handle would still offer space for four fingers (to be clear: I totally LIKE the hook in the current Manix 2, cause it brackets my hand in the handle while offering just enough space for all four fingers with L to XL hands).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

You might be interested in finding a Sage 3 (Sage with ball bearing lock. Not caged, but close enough).

Like Wartstein I also find the Manix 2 to be too small for me. If I'm in that size range I prefer a Native. I use my Manix XL a lot though.
StrawberryRocketFuel

Hmmm... its seems large in videos and pics. Maybe I need to just try one. Im curious.... Thanks all!
StrawberryRocketFuel

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:58 pm
Hi all!

Welcome to the forum! :)

A lil Manix has been discussed here lately, it might interest you: https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=86133

I generally would absolutely like to see a lot more CBBL knives in all sizes!

For me personally though the current Manix 2 LW is already on the small side
If it gets "chopped": For me it would be of real importance that the "hook" at the end of the handle would be "chopped off" and the handle end would be flat / level, so the handle would still offer space for four fingers (to be clear: I totally LIKE the hook in the current Manix 2, cause it brackets my hand in the handle while offering just enough space for all four fingers with L to XL hands).
Well maybe not a chop but a tiny resize. Resize the whole thing proportionally to the point the blade gets to 3in....?? maybe :D
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Where’s DigDug72?

He runs a prolific Spydie chop shop. ;) :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:37 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:58 pm
Well maybe not a chop but a tiny resize. Resize the whole thing proportionally to the point the blade gets to 3in....?? maybe :D

Sorry, but for me personally a total NO. :D (just me, ymmv! :) )

Making the Manix 2 any smaller in the exact same shape, or even so small that the blade would have about 3" would give it that for me weird Para 3 issue:
- A hook at the end of the handle, that works great in the larger PM2 and also Manix 2, but bot so in the smaller Para 3 and a fictional Lil Manix
-That "hook" helps to bracket in even larger hands between the hook and the guard on the larger models, while on the smaller models it shortens the grip area, so one has to choke up in the choil - but exactly that choking up in the choil makes the "hook" at the handle end unnecessary again: Cause choked up the hand is locked in in the choil and pushing back against the front part of the "guard" anyway!
- So: Any smaller than Manix 2 or PM2: Sage handle design makes much more sense ! (FLAT backend of the handle, no "hook"!)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above:

Actually the Sage 3 looks a lot like what a sensible designed Lil Manix imho should look like too.
Especially handle wise: NO hook at the handle end, but flat there. So NOT repeating the for me weird transferring of the PM2 "hook" (where its great) to the Para 3 (where it´s not for me) also with the (great) Manix 2 hook to a "Lil Manix" (where it would not be so great anymore imho)

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:37 pm
Yes, please.

A 'Manix 3' like the Para 3 would be fantastic.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm definitely a fan of the bolt action sage (I own both variants) but it's discontinued and that will make it hard for people who don't already have it to lay their hands on one.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I really regret not getting the Sage 3 as I am a big fan of the bolt action. The steel snob in me wanted to try out S110V and the price conscious part of me lead me to choose the Manix 2 lwt in S110V. Don't get me wrong, as the Manix 2 lwt is a great knife, but in hindsight I'm certain that I would be much happier paying up for the Sage 3.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Cambertree wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:57 am
Where’s DigDug72?

Thanks Cambertree! I'm actually finishing up a Manix2 chop right now on a sprint run w/ the weight holes in the liner. It's been tricky - required repositioning the rear standoff, and I definitely had a harder time than usual w/ it. I'll probably post some pics once it's wrapped up.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Seems to be a lot of threads about making particular models "lil" and "mini" I really don't get it. A certain knife is designed to be exactly as it is, the Manix is a great seller...why would they change it or make another variation when they already have 30+ models of other knives in that "lil" "mini" size as it is with a 2.75"-2.97" cutting edge. Granted anything with the cbbl is a rare find, but that size range in question, pretty sure Spyderco has their bases covered ten fold. Another 2.93" cutting edge on a 6.9693" overall knife *yawn*. Keep em big and beautiful :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:10 pm
Seems to be a lot of threads about making particular models "lil" and "mini" I really don't get it. A certain knife is designed to be exactly as it is, the Manix is a great seller...why would they change it or make another variation when they already have 30+ models of other knives in that "lil" "mini" size as it is with a 2.75"-2.97" cutting edge. Granted anything with the cbbl is a rare find, but that size range in question, pretty sure Spyderco has their bases covered ten fold. Another 2.93" cutting edge on a 6.9693" overall knife *yawn*. Keep em big and beautiful :p
But some people have lil pockets or lil hands. #lilknivesarecooltoo #mostspydercomodelsarenotlil #waitingforpeopletochimeinaboutneedingmorexlknives
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:19 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
But some people have lil pockets or lil hands. #lilknivesarecooltoo #mostspydercomodelsarenotlil #waitingforpeopletochimeinaboutneedingmorexlknives
Can't argue that, especially for all the ladies out there with their "pockets" you can squeeze a couple fingers into if you're lucky!

Just saying I'm not a fan of downsizing knives into a size range that there are already plenty of other options readily available. Though I know there have been some MAJOR hits (lil native ;) )

I don't think every knife has to be big and murdery, but it seems a lot of knives from all sorts of companies seem to be going smaller again?? Could be another trend. I'm no business man!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:38 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:19 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Can't argue that, especially for all the ladies out there with their "pockets" you can squeeze a couple fingers into if you're lucky!

Just saying I'm not a fan of downsizing knives into a size range that there are already plenty of other options readily available. Though I know there have been some MAJOR hits (lil native ;) )

I don't think every knife has to be big and murdery, but it seems a lot of knives from all sorts of companies seem to be going smaller again?? Could be another trend. I'm no business man!
I'm sure next year it will be a trend of all the knives going xl. Sal did mention a major change to the Police model in the future. That's a pretty big knife...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

DigDug72 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:59 pm
Cambertree wrote:
Where’s DigDug72?

Thanks Cambertree! I'm actually finishing up a Manix2 chop right now on a sprint run w/ the weight holes in the liner. It's been tricky - required repositioning the rear standoff, and I definitely had a harder time than usual w/ it. I'll probably post some pics once it's wrapped up.
Cool!

It’s always interesting to see your work. :cool:

I think some of the old skool Manix 2s have full liners. ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cambertree wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:53 pm
DigDug72 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:59 pm
Cambertree wrote:
Cool!

It’s always interesting to see your work. :cool:

I think some of the old skool Manix 2s have full liners. ;)

Actually the "base" S30V Manix still comes with full liners. :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Seems to be a lot of threads about making particular models "lil" and "mini" I really don't get it. A certain knife is designed to be exactly as it is, the Manix is a great seller...why would they change it or make another variation when they already have 30+ models of other knives in that "lil" "mini" size as it is with a 2.75"-2.97" cutting edge.
For the lock.

There are no smaller Spyderco knives with a CBBL, BBL, or Bolt Action lock. I really want a Native (or better Chaparral) sized knife with one of those locks. A 3 inch 'Manix 3' seems like the easiest way to get there.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:36 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
For the lock.

There are no smaller Spyderco knives with a CBBL, BBL, or Bolt Action lock. I really want a Native (or better Chaparral) sized knife with one of those locks. A 3 inch 'Manix 3' seems like the easiest way to get there.

Yes, that's the sole reason I personally would like to see a Lil Manix. Just cause I principally think there should be (a lot) more CBBL knives!
But for me, just scaling down the existing Manix in the pretty much exact same shape (like they did with PM2 to Para 3) would not be a good idea. Or pehaps only to create a niche-Manix for really small hands.
Better design a new CBBL model, and if smaller with a handle that will still acommodate larger hands too. Or make it a CBBL Sage 3.