The upcoming Salt 2 ffg: Spydercos (Mini-) Bugout alternative and more? Perfect ultralight hiking knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Henry_P

Re: The upcoming Salt 2 ffg: Spydercos (Mini-) Bugout alternative and more? Perfect ultralight hiking knife?

Post by Henry_P »

I actually have been looking for a Spyderco competitor to the mini Bugout so I am very excited for the new Salt. I am currently using my Native 5 LW for those tasks but I would like to have something that is completely rust proof. Now the question is whether to get the wharncliffe or not.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Wartstein

Re: The upcoming Salt 2 ffg: Spydercos (Mini-) Bugout alternative and more? Perfect ultralight hiking knife?

Post by Wartstein »

Henry_P wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:23 am
I actually have been looking for a Spyderco competitor to the mini Bugout so I am very excited for the new Salt. I am currently using my Native 5 LW for those tasks but I would like to have something that is completely rust proof. Now the question is whether to get the wharncliffe or not.

wharncliffe SE... :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
tangent

Post by tangent »

tonijedi wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:35 pm
The H1 Salt 2 is already fantastic, the new LC200N will blow things away...
I completely agree...for me, it will be THE knife. Especially the Wharnie.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:12 pm
vivi wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:37 pm
I'd rather carry another half ounce and bring a Pacific Salt.

Sure Vivi, thanks to mostly YOU (since you really pointed me towards the Pac Salt back then :) ) I would do so too! :)
BUT:
- Marketingwise - not really practically speaking - the "under 2 ounces" thing of the Salt in ffg is still something else than the Pac Salt
- And: As a backup that I just let live in my Pac for emergencies while STILL carrying a Pac Salt or whatever anyway, a Salt 2 ffg with the clip removed is a perfect choice. Make it the wharnie SE, and with its thinner blade and that blade shape it will "beat" even the Pac Salt in certain tasks.
- Plus: For me there actually ARE a few (VERY few) days in a year where I count every fraction of an ounce of my pack load.
Its then when I´d perhaps "just" bring a Salt (and not a Pac Salt)
Eh, the difference between 2oz and 2.5oz isn't really noticeable, and if I'm on a trip where I'm counting grams 2oz for a knife is fairly substantial. So for me if I'm willing to carry a 2oz knife on a lightweight style trip, I may as well add .5oz more and get a full sized handle.

I don't really get the draw of having a spydie bugout. Spyderco has plenty of very lightweight options, like ladybugs.

Personally, I'd rather have a multitool of some sort as a pack carry back up. My Victorinox Tinker weighs the same 2oz as a Salt 2 would but packs a lot more functionality.

None of this is to poopoo on the LC200N Salt 2. It will be an incredible knife for people that enjoy that handle. Its bigger brother is the last folder I'd ever get rid of if I were selling off my knives.
:unicorn
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Salt 2 LC200N now shipping to dealers according to the Spyderco app.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Bugout is a very popular model for Benchmade, so it should be easy to understand why people would want to draw comparisons with it.

Also, just got a notification that the Salt 2 is shipping to dealers. :D Won't be too long now!
-Nick :bug-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I am really excited to get the salt 2
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:46 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:12 pm
vivi wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:37 pm
Eh, the difference between 2oz and 2.5oz isn't really noticeable, and if I'm on a trip where I'm counting grams 2oz for a knife is fairly substantial. So for me if I'm willing to carry a 2oz knife on a lightweight style trip, I may as well add .5oz more and get a full sized handle.

I don't really get the draw of having a spydie bugout. Spyderco has plenty of very lightweight options, like ladybugs.

Personally, I'd rather have a multitool of some sort as a pack carry back up. My Victorinox Tinker weighs the same 2oz as a Salt 2 would but packs a lot more functionality.

None of this is to poopoo on the LC200N Salt 2. It will be an incredible knife for people that enjoy that handle. Its bigger brother is the last folder I'd ever get rid of if I were selling off my knives.

You are absolutely right, 0.5 oz weight difference is almost never noticeable - and even more so never worth the slightly lower weight if the trade-off is a not-handfilling-handle! (This though is not the case for me with "Salt 2 vs Pac Salt": I actually love both the Endura- AND the Delica-style handle concerning ergos).
Still, there are extremly rare cases (perhaps once or twice a year) where I just WANT to carry an almost full size Spyderco (and not "just" a Ladybug or even DFly) and I still count each fraction of an ounce (or convert it in more calories I can bring) - then the Salt 2 would be nice to have. But again, just cause for me and my hand it is a perfect fit, and while I clearly prefer the Pac Salt, in some tasks the thinner bladed Salt 2 will even perform better, especially in wharnie SE!

- Now, concerning "Spydie Bugout": Nothing I would need too!!

But this is about the general market: I really watch rather few knife vids, and if, more in the background while doing something else. But even I have heard like 3 or 4 times already, that people praise the Bugout because it is so light and especially "under two ounces". And, weirdly, people who really don´t need the low weight at all I think. Still, that seems to be a huge selling point.
And the Para 3 LW seems to be seen as the "Spydercos alternative" in the general market. And always "looses" because it is "heavier".
Weirdly I ´ve never heard that the in weight more competitive Salt 2 would have been put up against the Bugout.
But now, with the ffg Salt 2 in LC200N, Spyderco would have the option to market it more as "their" "under two ounce" folder, with the pro of a totally rustproof steel. I think this would go well. But of course I don´t know anything about marketing and Spyderco certainly knows what they are doing!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I am too. I carry a Salt 1 more than anything else, so will certainly want to try a 2 when I can, maybe even the Wharncliffe.
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

In the USA, I suspect one of the reasons the Bugout is popular with backpackers is simply that it is sold at REI stores. And not just online -- I've seen it in the knife case at the physical stores.

But if I search for "spyderco" on the REI site, only the Delica4 comes up. And I've never seen a Delica at the stores.

I don't know what's involved with getting REI to carry Spyderco models, but that would surely increase the brand's visibility with backpacking users.
vivi

Post by vivi »

rangefinder wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:46 pm
In the USA, I suspect one of the reasons the Bugout is popular with backpackers is simply that it is sold at REI stores. And not just online -- I've seen it in the knife case at the physical stores.

But if I search for "spyderco" on the REI site, only the Delica4 comes up. And I've never seen a Delica at the stores.

I don't know what's involved with getting REI to carry Spyderco models, but that would surely increase the brand's visibility with backpacking users.
I'd imagine this is true too, I've seen BM in every REI I've been to.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rangefinder wrote:

Ok, this I did not know!! It would explain a lot of the Bugout popularity.

REI is pretty big, right? I´ve visited a REI store only once in my life (they don´t exist in Europe as far as I know), but that was in the early nineteens in Anchorage, Alaska.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:52 pm
rangefinder wrote:

REI is pretty big, right? I´ve visited a REI store only once in my life (they don´t exist in Europe as far as I know), but that was in the early nineteens in Anchorage, Alaska.
Its basically the only chain store in the USA dedicated to hiking. Otherwise you're looking at mom & pop shops or big box sporting goods stores like Cabelas, Dicks and Gander Outdoors that tend to carry heavier, lower end chinese made gear.

REI is where I go for actual hiking gear. The others are more camping oriented.

When I was recently browsing for hiking shoes they were the only store around that had Zamberlans and Asolos in stock.
Last edited by vivi on Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Wartstein wrote:
rangefinder wrote:

I brought this up to Sal recently and this is what he said:
sal wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:47 pm
Hi Henry_P,

REI has carried some of our knives at different times. I guess more need to ask for us?

sal

I guess if enough people ask for Spyderco at REI then they will carry it? But I suspect this is also why the bugout is so popular.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Henry_P wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:04 pm
Wartstein wrote:
rangefinder wrote:
sal wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:47 pm
I guess if enough people ask for Spyderco at REI then they will carry it? But I suspect this is also why the bugout is so popular.

The Bugout is a bit weird but perhaps also ingenious marketing-wise:

It will certainly be a really good knife for general, not TOO hard EDC, but would probably one of my last knife-choices for an actual bugout -situation (howsoever one might define one), especially as my only knife. Reasons would be quite similar why I would not want it as a hiking knife in the remote outdoors...

Still, I could imagine for many people who are not really deeper into knives and just don´t really think about them (which is 100% fine of course!) the "Bugout" might have an appeal just by its name AND its superlight weight (and it is certainly strongly marketed as being ultra light): Like, that it is cool to carry something around that weighs almost nothing but still is a great tool for "bugout situations" - so with THIS model one "is prepared for everything" ;) a bit like those paracord bracelets, perhaps including a compass, worn by people who never use paracord or a compass (again, no disrespect, just interesting to me! Enjoying something for the only reason that one finds it to be cool is perfectly fine).
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Spyderco.com
Salt 2 wharncliffe, PE or SE... https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C88FWCGR2/2084
•• Beau
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Buddafucco wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:23 pm
Spyderco.com
Salt 2 wharncliffe, PE or SE... https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C88FWCGR2/2084

Thanks. There’s also a 25% off coupon when checking out which brings it within a few dollars of retail price.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Salt2 has LC200N for $116.20.
Bugout Mini has S30V for $119.00.

If you need a more corrosion resistant blade and easier opening go with Salt2. Also, Salt2 can be had with near full serrations and even a Wharnie blade.

If you need a slimmer (width in pocket) package or U.S. Made go with Bugout Mini.

My favorite would be Salt2 LC200N Wharnie SpyderEdge. I don’t have to baby it in salty conditions, I can cut through rope or seatbelt and the 1/4” of straight edge at the tip is great for opening packages.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd love to see a Pacific Salt wharnie some day.