Has K390 "obsoleted" M4/REX45/HAP40?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Has K390 "obsoleted" M4/REX45/HAP40?

Post by Evil D »

Only if K390 models are somehow significantly more inexpensive than other steels. People still buy and love 1095.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I guess I was more referring to "obsoleted" in regards to hype.

The reason I even bring this topic up is, REX45 took off in popularity after Shaun's brass rod carving video, and then K390 was announced as regular production. We have a handful of knives available regularly in M4 (GB2), and I'm guessing they're not going to sprint REX45 again in the core Golden line.
I guess if we see Rex 45 again, it will be in a new offering? Also seems like the demand for HAP40 has dropped (took cutlery shoppe and fradon lock forever to sell out of their exclusives)
blues

Post by blues »

I'd be curious just how many folks can tell the difference between one steel and another on a daily use basis if they are not conducting a rigorous test to determine just how many cuts they can make with a knife before the edge no longer slices phone book paper.

I think the difference in corrosion resistance will be more readily apparent than the difference in cutting edge longevity.

I freely admit that I'm also a fan of owning and using various knife steels...but it's far from a necessity...and none of the steels have been rendered obsolete by any of the others standing in the wings, though some may be more ideally suited for a given task.
- Retired from the chase -
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

blues wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:55 am
I'd be curious just how many folks can tell the difference between one steel and another...

I see more variances in how they sharpen than in use, until I start comparing steels that are less similar like CR13 vs Maxamet.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
blues

Post by blues »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:50 am
blues wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:55 am
I'd be curious just how many folks can tell the difference between one steel and another...

I see more variances in how they sharpen than in use, until I start comparing steels that are less similar like CR13 vs Maxamet.
Good point. And I would agree.
- Retired from the chase -
Matus

Post by Matus »

I would like to see toughness measurements by Larrin for the k390. If it were comparable to M4, then technically it could make it look obsolete. However the perceived user friendliness (ease of sharpening, response to stropping, staining, etc) could still play bigger role at the end of the day.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

At this point, I don't think any new steel could make my existing knives obsolete. I don't really get to experience the full capability of what I already have. I ENJOY sharpening knives. I ENJOY the experience of using an ultra-sharp knife.

There isn't a steel that exists that doesn't begin dulling the very first time it's used. I might use a knife for days... or a week... or a couple weeks. After this time, it's still sharper than any knife owned by any "normal" person, but I'll get out the stones and bring the edge back to perfection. It's what I like to do. Will K390 allow me to postpone sharpening by two more days? Maybe. Does it matter? Not really.

Nevertheless, I'm curious about K390. I have a Ladybug, but it's so small that it's not a good testing platform. Right now I'm patiently waiting for some serrated K390.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

It would take a pocket light saber to obsolete the steels we have now. The properties that make edges last longer, make them harder to sharpen. Maxamet is suppose being the current most difficult to sharpen? Point being we’re approaching an asymptote where the people interested in these high performance, high difficulty steels will taper off to a dedicated few. Until you get to truly never has to be sharpened, that is!
mugwump867

Post by mugwump867 »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:30 pm
I would like to see more Super Blue. It's such a pleasure to sharpen.
Same. Maybe it's the relative scarcity of Super Blue models that makes it still seem special but I'll never give up my SB Caly Jr. K390 is awesome in its own right but it hasn't quite replaced SB and Rex45 for me.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I've used rex45 and k390 quite a bit. Both performed fantastically for me. If given a choice I'd take rex over k390. I have wanted the endela and the flat spine stretch to receive steel upgrades for awhile. If k390 is the steel that's chosen so be it. I always have the option to say no thanks. For me I question where the hype train comes from. Is it the dust collectors, or the folks who put their tools to use I wonder.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I just like the fact that if I’m going away for the weekend I don’t have to bring a pocket stone or strop, but there are plenty of steels that accomplish that. In terms of hard tool steels, I still love zdp to be honest
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N