Has K390 "obsoleted" M4/REX45/HAP40?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VooDooChild

Re: Has K390 "obsoleted" M4/REX45/HAP40?

Post by VooDooChild »

wrdwrght wrote: I’m liking the steel choices that Spyderco has offered me over my ten years here. VG10 is not obsolete.
You know. Its crazy when I think about this, but most people probably havent even experienced a vg10 level steel, certainly not any steel above that.

Knife nuts stay way ahead of the curve.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Larrin wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:35 pm
I don’t know what K390 has to do with those high speed steels.
I was just referring to Spyderco's line up.
Now that we have a tool steel as part of Spyderco's main line up, will we still get more of the other steels via exclusives and sprints?
standy99

Post by standy99 »

K390 is good but I would buy M4 over it any time.

M4 has a following that only M4 fanboys get ;)

Same as all steels some just like a steel that has their sweet spot for use and sharpening.

For me it’s 2 years before I can even say I like a steel or not.

K390 will be on the other side of “obsoleted” like M4/REX45/HAP40 are now with another new steel in front of it.

Chasing the latest and greatest steel is a expensive game nowadays. And there is a lot of YouTube guys that couldn’t or haven’t cut a sandwich with half the knives and steels they review
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

K390 and HAP40 (haven't tried REX45) in my experience are much easier to touch up back to a really
nice, aggressivee edge using just the sharpmaker than M4.

I wouldn't mind seeing either of them replace M4 for that reason alone as Spyderco's non-stainless, high wear-resistance tool steel of choice.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I think that K390 and Rex45 represent pretty ideal EDC steels for me. They hold an edge real well, are pretty tough, and relatively easy to resharpen. Of the two, I think I find K390 a little bit tougher, and a little bit easier to resharpen.

I still think I can get ZDP-189 sharper, though it takes longer. I also think it holds that super fine edge longer, though it's been awhile since I've owned any ZDP so this is entirely anecdotal.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think BHQ will have more M4, maybe a Chief? Maybe a Yojumbo?

Japanese steel options are limited so I think we will see more HAP40 in some sprints or exclusives. Maybe from KC?

Rex45 is great but Spyderco could be done with it except for exclusives.

I think it mostly comes down to exclusives.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I have used HAP40 only in the wharnie Delica. It absolutely shines in this thin edged geometry. It is easy to sharpen. I like it.

I have only used REX45 in the PM2/Para3 platform and I like it; use M4 in the Para3 and love it. I think it’s a bit easier than REX45 to sharpen, but it’s corrosion susceptibility is pretty high.

K390 has impressive properties but is probably the most difficult steel I have sharpened. I’ve only tried it in a Ladybug and it took some time on the cbn rods to get the edge conformed to my sharpening habit.

I REALLY like CRUWEAR. It’s a fairly ideal compromise steel with good enough toughness and edge retention, but really responsive on the stones.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

K390 will probably become obsolete as well at some point because of the pricing.
A K390 Endura is over 200$ in EU so I don't see it selling the tens of thousands here.

Maybe over there in the Wild West at 133$ will sell better, but at some point people will become bored with yesterdays K390 and the sales will slow. Then Spyderco will introduce the latest and the greatest shinny and super tough CPM-500000V at 71HRC, first in a sprint that will generate hype, then regular sales and replace the K390.

Will that make K390 obsolete? Absolutely not, it will still cut.
It's just keeping the ball rolling...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I was never wowed by Maxamet, except for the name, or M4, as good as it is, because I found I like K390 better. It is hands down my favorite non-stainless steel and it does not corrode as easily as many steels will do. As long as Spyderco makes K390 knives I'll be happy.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
blues

Post by blues »

I never tire of the M4 "bite".

Obsolete? I see 1095 is still around...I figure none of these fine steels are going the way of the dodo. (Not the Spyderco version.)
- Retired from the chase -
kobold

Post by kobold »

"obsoleted". D2 was never so wide-spread like it is today and it is from WW2 era... So, in the 22nd century, Maxamet, Rex45 etc will probably be the budget options. :D
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
jdw

Post by jdw »

My familiarity with a steel has a lot to do with my ability to sharpen it. I am able to get M4 pretty sharp but I have found K390 and REX45 mainly beyond my sharpening patience. HAP40 is different but the conventional wisdom is that it's run softer than the others.
Last edited by jdw on Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
vivi

Post by vivi »

I love K390 but it hasn't slowed my enthusiasm for other steels. I'd be just as excited to see an M4 Street Beat as I would a K390. K390 might hold an edge longer but M4 sharpens a little more easily while still holding an edge very well.

I'm carrying a 440C knife as my primary EDC these days, what does that tell you? :D
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Am I the only one who has noticed a difference between M4 and Rex45?

Is it just the heat treat?

My Rex45 Manix definitely has an edge retention advantage on my M4 Manix. I'm wondering what the toughness difference is (if any) but I'm not willing to go beat up my M4 Manix any more than I already have to test that.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Should this question become an actual worry, we ought to remember that every steel Spyderco has offered remains available to us.

We just need to engage in the fun of finding it, as has our own steel-curious archangel/Michael, for example.

In following the completist’s urge, we’ll inevitably become exposed to Sal’s early thinking and collaborations and we’ll end up with a fuller appreciation of his (and now Eric’s) current ideas.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
brett1081

Post by brett1081 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:11 pm
Once K390 Seki knives came out, it seems like everyone wants K390 everything
I'm guessing K390 is close enough for practical purposes

No one seems to miss Super Blue or Vtoku 2 that much, either
I mean from a production volume standpoint? Maybe? No one on the knife competitions is using K390 though while plenty are using M4, and one even using Rex T15. People wanting new steel isn't unusual. I am assuming we will get every Spyderco model in Spy27 before K390 at this point, because its "their steel".
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

No. Less wear resistance, greater toughness and edge stability, assuming all have been optimally heat treated. Those trade offs are a preference thing. One could argue k390 makes for a better folder steel, but those other steels aren't obsolete.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:24 pm
Looks like K390 is taking the place of ZDP. But people love the steels they love even if another is “better” in some dimension.
That's a great point you make "P_atrick" because I do know that when I read all the charts that there are most definitely other steels that look better than M390 for instance. But for some reason I just can't put down my beloved M390 Military model. I've been EDCing it well over 4 years now and so far I've only seen two knives with other blade steels that have tempted me to semi-retire my favorite EDC. I guess there is a point to be made that the "habit" aspect has a lot to be considered.

It just takes me back to what I heard the late Bill Moran once said>> "That all blade steels have their strengths and their weaknesses. Take knife maker Bob Dozier for instance who is arguably one of the most favorite of all the custom knife makers>> and he's probably one of the standout knife makers that people actually use the knives they buy from him>> much more so than with many custom makers where people just buy their knives as an investment in "fine art" so to speak. Mr. Dozier is still using D-2 for most all of the custom knives he makes and his customers are content with it. I've heard his heat treatment of D-2 is amazing compared to many other heat treatments available for that particular blade steel.

The point is this>> Even something as common as VG-10 with a good heat treatment will still sell in most cases>> Spyderco still sells many VG-10 blades and probably will for the foreseeable future.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:02 am
p_atrick wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:24 pm
The point is this>> Even something as common as VG-10 with a good heat treatment will still sell in most cases>> Spyderco still sells many VG-10 blades and probably will for the foreseeable future.

And rightfully so!
Touching up VG 10 on a sharpmaker always puts a smile on my face, since it works so easy and gets so sharp so quick.
This is an experience also mediocre (like I am at max) and even beginner sharpeners should be able to get - and VG 10 offers it! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Hap 40 and Rex45 are similar steels (equivalent), but the way Golden runs their Rex45 I think puts it a step above Seki's Hap40. Goldens Rex45 has obsoleted M4 for my needs. I cant think of a reason I'd ever choose M4 over Rex45.
Had K390 obsoleted Rex45 for me? NO. I prefer K390, but it is different enough from Rex45 that I like having both.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal