Tonight I Wore Through a Sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Tonight I Wore Through a Sharpmaker

Post by vivi »

Reprofiled a PE and SE knife to 15dps tonight and cut through my sharpmaker base in the process. Time to order another :cool:
:unicorn
MFlovejp

Re: Tonight I Wore Through a Sharpmaker

Post by MFlovejp »

vivi wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:42 am
https://i.postimg.cc/B6wnR5vX/20210219-013344-HDR.jpg

Reprofiled a PE and SE knife to 15dps tonight and cut through my sharpmaker base in the process. Time to order another :cool:

Holy smokes! Well at least you used the heck out of it. How long would it take to reprofile say an H1 Pac Salt that way?
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
vivi

Post by vivi »

MFlovejp wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:52 am
vivi wrote:
https://i.postimg.cc/B6wnR5vX/20210219-013344-HDR.jpg

Holy smokes! Well at least you used the heck out of it. How long would it take to reprofile say an H1 Pac Salt that way?
It takes me about half an hour to take a SE Pacific Salt H1 from 20 degrees to 15 degrees. That includes refining the edge after setting the bevel.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

double post
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:58 am
MFlovejp wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:52 am
vivi wrote:
It takes me about half an hour to take a SE Pacific Salt H1 from 20 degrees to 15 degrees. That includes refining the edge after setting the bevel.

Off topic, but now you actually DO have Pac Salts that are at least closer to 20 than to 15 degrees?
I remember we were discussing this once, since my yellow Pac Salt SE came with about 20, but all of yours (black handled) were about 15 from the factory (talking about the sabre hollow H1 Pac Salts! )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

Side note - changing a bevel grind angle is not reprofiling ;) But I once tried something very similar like you did (with those diamond rods for sharpmaker) to do something similar on a Small Sebenza - never again, it took AGES :D Sharpmaker was simply not made for that. It was a huge waste of time. I do that now either free hand on stones, or with a system like KME.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wow. I cringe when I nick my base. I almost never go that far down with my stroke.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:45 am
Wow. I cringe when I nick my base. I almost never go that far down with my stroke.

Mine does have a lot of nicks, but I never thought it could actually be "cut" or break.
qwkzotc

Post by qwkzotc »

I've not worn my Sharpmaker anywhere near that much (yet) but it does raise questions of how to fix and prevent.

First, I've worked a lot with broken, cut plastic in a past life and wonder if you could "fill" in the exposed area with a superglue, glue, reinforced fill or epoxy to build it back up, maybe in layers. It does not appear that the exposed area is "load bearing" or supporting the rods.
Second, I wonder if one could/should tape a nice thick cardboard slab at the areas that are being gouged. Would the tape or cardboard dull the new edge more so than the material of the Sharpmaker.
Third, I've been experimenting with mounting my Sharpmaker on a vertical surface. Hard to get used to but the blade falls free without hitting the table or Sharpmaker. Does anyone have any experience and recommendations for trying this?
Fourth, is the one side noticeably more damaged because you were doing a serrated knife? in other words, would a plain edge eventually dig into both sides? And, actually, would a plain edge dig in as much as the serrated edge?

Dan🍀
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Wow Vivi, you weren’t enjoying some refreshing beverages at the time, by any chance, were you? :D :p :)

I like doing the first thinning out of a new knife edge, and I sometimes like to relax with a couple of beers while I’m doing it. But there’s definitely a point where I need to put away the sharpening gear. ;)

Ask me how I know. :D :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

qwkzotc wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:17 am
I've not worn my Sharpmaker anywhere near that much (yet) but it does raise questions of how to fix and prevent.

First, I've worked a lot with broken, cut plastic in a past life and wonder if you could "fill" in the exposed area with a superglue, glue, reinforced fill or epoxy to build it back up, maybe in layers. It does not appear that the exposed area is "load bearing" or supporting the rods.
Second, I wonder if one could/should tape a nice thick cardboard slab at the areas that are being gouged. Would the tape or cardboard dull the new edge more so than the material of the Sharpmaker.
Third, I've been experimenting with mounting my Sharpmaker on a vertical surface. Hard to get used to but the blade falls free without hitting the table or Sharpmaker. Does anyone have any experience and recommendations for trying this?
Fourth, is the one side noticeably more damaged because you were doing a serrated knife? in other words, would a plain edge eventually dig into both sides? And, actually, would a plain edge dig in as much as the serrated edge?

Dan🍀

interesting post! :)

From my experience:
- 1.) Yes, a serrated edge certainly digs in more than a plain edge! After all, this is actually one of the advantages of SE normally: Force concentrated on a much smaller (and "pointier") surface 2.) More acute edge due to the chisel grind
- 2.) Yes, when sharpening SE one does obviously more strokes on one (the beveled) side. With Vivis technique the other side does no touch the base ever, as far as I recall his vid on sharpening SE.

Interesting idea to mount the sharpmaker on a vertical surface: But why exactly? Do you feel that you can see the right angle better by that?
In my experience gravity helps in feeling how light or hard the strokes are one does. (So for example for light storkes almost only let "gravity" do the work). And this is only possible when the sharpmaker sits on a horizontal surface if course - ?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:28 am
Wow Vivi, you weren’t enjoying some refreshing beverages at the time, by any chance, were you? :D :p :)

I like doing the first thinning out of a new knife edge, and I sometimes like to relax with a couple of beers while I’m doing it. But there’s definitely a point where I need to put away the sharpening gear. ;)

Ask me how I know. :D :)

Now I am even more amazed how perfect your edges do look... the "beer technique" would speak for more wonky bevels... ;)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm the same way, I always have a couple of my favorite IPA's while doing some serious sharpening. Helps me get into the groove. If only I could listen to music as well, but sound is just as important as feel, at least to me, when sharpening to this magnitude.

I've come to realize that using the Sharpmaker to reprofile and set a different angle, though it is possible...it just takes too dang long! Even with the CBN stones. Though of course with SE it's perfect and a must.

That's wild though Vivi, you must be an animal when sharpening haha. Especially only taking a half hour, that's impressive work.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:56 am
I'm the same way, I always have a couple of my favorite IPA's while doing some serious sharpening. ...
Cambertree wrote:
I like doing the first thinning out of a new knife edge, and I sometimes like to relax with a couple of beers while I’m doing it....

Hmmmm... Cambertree and Rick, two of the guys here I respect and learned from the most when it comes to sharpening:
Both obviously use beer as a performance enhancing drug to achieve there successes... this makes me seriously reconsider my own pretty sober approach... :rolleyes: ;)
qwkzotc

Post by qwkzotc »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:32 am
qwkzotc wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:17 am

Dan🍀

interesting post! :)

From my experience:
- 1.) Yes, a serrated edge certainly digs in more than a plain edge! After all, this is actually one of the advantages of SE normally: Force concentrated on a much smaller (and "pointier") surface 2.) More acute edge due to the chisel grind
- 2.) Yes, when sharpening SE one does obviously more strokes on one (the beveled) side. With Vivis technique the other side does no touch the base ever, as far as I recall his vid on sharpening SE.

Interesting idea to mount the Sharpmaker on a vertical surface: But why exactly? Do you feel that you can see the right angle better by that?
In my experience gravity helps in feeling how light or hard the strokes are one does. (So for example for light strokes almost only let "gravity" do the work). And this is only possible when the Sharpmaker sits on a horizontal surface if course - ?

I actually first tried mounting on the wall with the Galley-V. Partially to save counter space and partially because of hitting the tool (mostly with the tip). It seems that because I don't worry about hitting the tool/table my strokes have a lot more follow-through. To be clear, I love the Sharpmaker & Galley-V and I trust Sal designed them the way he did for good reason, including the ability to mount and position them whatever way works best for each. All the other fancy tools & stones I have sit on the shelf these days.

Thanks for the confirmation on the serrations. If not bolted down then occasional rotating orientation of the Sharpmaker should even out the wear I would think.

Dan
Last edited by qwkzotc on Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey Vivi, I don’t use my SharpMaker anywhere near as much as you mate, but I reckon I could count on one hand the number of times I’ve overridden the rods and contacted the base. Which is neither here nor there.

Either ways, looks like it still has a bit of life in it. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JakeXman

Post by JakeXman »

Sometimes I’ll tap the tip of my knife at the end of the stroke, and occasionally I’ll run the edge over the sharpmaker base to deburr, but I’m genuinely dumbfounded at how you accomplished this! I am in awe and maybe a little afraid...
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Maybe he was working off some frustrations!? :eek: :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JakeXman wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:17 am
I’m genuinely dumbfounded at how you accomplished this! I am in awe and maybe a little afraid...
Haha I was thinking the same :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

vivi wrote:

Finally a SM base that looks worse than mine!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001