Looking for a second Spyderco for EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hovannes

Looking for a second Spyderco for EDC

Post by Hovannes »

Years ago I was a deputy on a mounted SAR unit and was intrigued by the Spyderco Rescue.
Wrecks with stock was a big issue and if you have to dive into one, say a pack mule goes down while fording a river and you've got to cut the lash lines off pronto, the Rescue seemed like a perfect tool for the job. Same thing with seatbelts in a car accidents.
So I bought one!
Probably the most expensive pocket knife I've ever purchased but I could see it being a lifesaver, so I didn't mind at all. At least one other SAR member bought a Spyderco Rescue after seeing mine in action.
That Rescue is the only Spyderco I have.
Now my horses and mules are gone, and I've been seriously considering getting a EDC---actually I already have two EDC "tactical" style knives(Smith & Wesson and Columbia River,) but these are liner locks and truthfully, I don't trust liner locks. I like the lock back on my Rescue.
So the solution is obvious---buy another Spyderco with the lock back! I'm considering several models, the Police seems attractive, but recently there's been another hitch in my plans. My daughter moved to Los Angeles for Graduate School and when I go to visit her, any pocket knife over 3" is illegal to carry, so maybe I need two new Spydercos---one for Los Angeles and another for the rest of the world. A Delica 4 seems like it would handle Los Angeles,but I wanted to ask the experts here for advice before committing.
Are there any other Spydercos I should consider?
Wartstein

Re: Looking for a second Spyderco for EDC

Post by Wartstein »

Since you are specifically looking for backlocks (which I happen to prefer anyway) under 3"

Ye, the Delica is a perfect choice for a smaller Spydie imho:

- Thin,slicey but absolutely strong enough blade stock (2.5mm, while many others have 3.2 mm or even up to rather fat 3.7mm)
- Very light, despite having solid liners (as light as the linerless Para 3 LW) - so you could easily add custom scale should you want to some day
- Long usable grip area on the handle, while one (most) can still choke up on that Ricasso
- Comes in several variants and steels. I personally would recommend the wharnie in SE.

Another great choice that will come out soon and is essentially another variant of the Delica: Salt 2 in ffg and LC200N:
- Pretty much shaped like a Delica, just a bit more robust, but also not as fine tip (that can be modded though)
- linerless (VERY light) and totally rustproof
- comes in PE, SE and each in wharnie or drop point (I´d go drop point SE)

Then there is the Chaparral FRN (or for a bit more money beautiful variants like the maple or sun and moon):
- Smaller than a Delica, but still good amount of cutting edge (essentially like a Native)
- Nice wire clip (I like those in small knives)
- Imho on of Spydercos best slicers with its 2.00 mm blade stock
- Extremely solid built, perfect fit and finish
- Best backlock I´ve ever used (internal stop pin), zero blade play, but perhaps a tad harder to operate
- XHP is an amazing steel for me
- Looks very classy, even in the FRN version

The Native is a good choice too, I really liked mine, but sold it cause for me the Chap was the even better alternative

/ Edit: And welcome to the forum of course! :)
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I enjoy many Spyderco back locks. The native series is my personal favorite. The native 5 is available in multiple steels and with frn or g10 scales and is just under 3" blade for legal restrictions. The native chief is only available in g10/s30v unless you catch a Sprint run, but comes in at 4 inches of blade.

Can't go wrong with the classic seki models (delica, endura, stretch, police, etc) either and the chaparral is a nice discreet gent type knife for City carry.

You mentioned a SAR background, you may qualify for the opfocus discount as a first responder. If you don't know about it, it gets you 50% off MSRP if you buy direct from Spyderco. Definitely worth checking out for military, veterans and first responders.

https://www.spyderco.com/resources/op-focus/
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Police is a great choice. For some others in a similar size (just bit smaller) the Endura and Native Chief are great options.

For smaller knives, Wartstein has good recommendations. I don't know LA laws, but if clipping to the pocket is a no-go, the Chap carries better at the bottom of the pocket vs some others. Don't over look the Dragonfly.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Delica for LA and Endura for the rest! K390 for both! The Endela is also great, as is the upcoming K390 Straight Spine Stretch. These are the four models I carry the most, with the Endela getting the most pocket time recently, and the Endura was my go to before that.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:57 pm
Delica for LA and Endura for the rest! K390 for both! The Endela is also great, as is the upcoming K390 Straight Spine Stretch. These are the four models I carry the most, with the Endela getting the most pocket time recently, and the Endura was my go to before that.
Agreed, all perfect choices.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Can't go wrong with a Police or a Delica. Those would be two of the models I'd think of first based on what you're looking for.

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=85163

There's an in-depth look at the version of the Police I would suggest, the Police 4 Lightweight.

There is another version of that knife that just came out featuring K390 blade steel. It will rust a lot more easily than VG10, but will stay sharp about 3 times as long.

FWIW I've carried Police to a city with a 3.5" blade limit for years without issue.
:unicorn
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Heck, I just watched Vivi’s Police Academy video again! Great job!
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

As far as I know there is no length restriction on folding knives as long as they are concealed. I typically carry my PM2 which has a blade over 3 inches.

Carrying on school grounds and government buildings is a different story however.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

3 inch - Rock Jumper is my first choice(technically .08 over 3 inches but that's very easy to fix), or a Native 5.

3+ inch - Police 4, Stretch 2, Native Chief, Manix 2 back lock (discontinued, if you can find one).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:27 pm
3 inch - Rock Jumper is my first choice(technically .08 over 3 inches but that's very easy to fix), or a Native 5.

3+ inch - Police 4, Stretch 2, Native Chief, Manix 2 back lock (discontinued, if you can find one).

How could I forget the Rock Jumper!! Still don´t have one yet, but of course a great choice!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:49 pm
Evil D wrote:

How could I forget the Rock Jumper!! Still don´t have one yet, but of course a great choice!!!

It has become one of my most favorites. There are still a couple things I'd change, but overall it's a fantastic design. It's the only knife that has come close to challenging my Caribbeans for daily carry.
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:54 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Evil D wrote:

It has become one of my most favorites. There are still a couple things I'd change, but overall it's a fantastic design. It's the only knife that has come close to challenging my Caribbeans for daily carry.
I could imagine that a Rock- or Leafjumper XL will do more than just challenge, right? Even more so if Sal removes that last bit of Ricasso like you´d see it to happen (at least that´s what you said in your review)
Holland

Post by Holland »

Highly recommend the chaparral. Delica is also a solid choice

Both have wood handle options if you're looking for something fancier and frn options for lower end
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

I too prefer backlocks. My choices would be:

Small: Native 5 Salt, Chaparral
Medium: Endura, Stretch
Large: Police 4, Native Chief, Manix XL

If I just had to choose two, it would be a Native 5 and a Police 4.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:57 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:54 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I could imagine that a Rock- or Leafjumper XL will do more than just challenge, right? Even more so if Sal removes that last bit of Ricasso like you´d see it to happen (at least that´s what you said in your review)

I still would prefer a design without a thumb ramp (the Caribbean being on the shallow side helps), but if they do an XL version it's going to be really good even with the thumb ramp. I think my next purchase is going to be the SE/K390 Police.
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Get a police 4 lightweight or endura 4 for yourself for most of the time.

Then get a dragonfly 2 for when you visit your daughter.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

Under 3 inch get a Lil Temperance 3. 2.9 inches (intentional), compression lock, beefy 4mm blade, I've batoned wood with one. Over 3, I like the Paramilitary 2. I carry one in 52100 every day.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

joeldworkin307 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:26 pm
Under 3 inch get a Lil Temperance 3. 2.9 inches (intentional), compression lock, beefy 4mm blade, I've batoned wood with one. Over 3, I like the Paramilitary 2. I carry one in 52100 every day.
I´ve batoned wood with 2.5 mm knives, including folders.. ;) perhaps 4mm might still work a tad better in batoning wood than 2.5, but in 99,99999999 % of EDC folder tasks it will be the other way round.

PM2 is a solid choice indeed! :)
But i think the OP was specifically asking for backlock Spydies
Matus

Post by Matus »

What about the Spyopera? Should feel right at home in a city and the blade is 2.9" Back lock, super smooth, really nice scales and sits well in hand. The rounded spine is a nice touch.

Another cool albeit for some a bit too weird knife is the Brouwer. I got mine recently and just love it. It has fantastic ergonomics and is super well made (and I actually really like that Titanium / green G10 combination).
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...