Sage 5 LW in alternate steels?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Catamount123

Sage 5 LW in alternate steels?

Post by Catamount123 »

Any news or rumors about a sprint, exclusive, or regular production version of the Sage 5 LW in another steel? I would like to try one, but don't want any more S30V (or black scales ;)). Cruwear and K390 would be my first choices.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
abbazaba

Re: Sage 5 LW in alternate steels?

Post by abbazaba »

Sal mentioned he was carrying a Sage5 LW in REX121, which is pretty exciting IMO

viewtopic.php?p=1486273#p1486273

I'm hoping K390 gets in the mix as well. Has Taichung ever done DLC?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I think the Sage 5 LW is a really non-polarizing model in a positive way, like in "really many can agree on it".
And by that a great platform for getting steel variants.

Many will even love it and not many will really dislike it - is my guess at least (such as I think it is the best small comp.lock design, severely challenged by the Watu, but the latter is again probably more polarizing).

Comp. lock, wire clip and fingerchoil are very popular, size is small enough to still be legal in many places, but large enough that it is on the lower end of a universally usable folder, bladestock is stout, but not overly thick, handleshape will accommodate most handsizes, it is light weight but still has liners that allow for custom scales if one happens to really like one particular steel version and wants to make that knife more "special"

No secret that I personally think the Sage 5 would have been the better candidate for all the variants that finally the Para 3 got in that category, since I would have guessed the latter is more polarizing (but the success of the Para 3 undoubtedly has proven me wrong and Spyderco had the right nose for it) - if now though the Sage 5 catches up a bit to the Para 3 in that regard, I would not be sad.. ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

love the series conceptually, as the native is one of my favorite models ergonomically. I'm all for more steel variations of any kind.

S90v sage 2 when.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

I really hope that this does happen soon. I want to try a sage 5 but I don’t really need another s30v knife. I hope it gets the g10 Maxamet treatment like the sage 1. I find the compression lock works better than a liner lock for a lefty. But honestly any other steel variation would be nice like spy27, k390, cru-wear, etc. I’m surprised this model doesn’t get more attention as it seems like it would be a home run for sprints and exclusives.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

To be honest I’d rather see a super thin back lock Sage in any steel AKA Wartstein’s Chaparral XL. It’s supposed to be a platform to showcase different locks after all right?
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MFlovejp wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:01 pm
To be honest I’d rather see a super thin back lock Sage in any steel AKA Wartstein’s Chaparral XL. It’s supposed to be a platform to showcase different locks after all right?

:) :) :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

MFlovejp wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:01 pm
It's supposed to, but many folks liked the Sage ergos so much that Sal spun off the Sage 5 LW as it's own sub-model for a user variant. IIRC Sal said the Sage 5 LW would be the Sage for alternate steels and blade grinds. The Chap XL / thin blade Sage would technically be a new variant of the Sage 4. And I'd buy one :D .

I'd also be pretty happy with an MGE Wholesale S90V / teal blue Sage 5 LW to match the MGE Native 5 LW I have in the same color and steel combo.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:12 pm
It's supposed to, but many folks liked the Sage ergos so much that Sal spun off the Sage 5 LW as it's own sub-model for a user variant. IIRC Sal said the Sage 5 LW would be the Sage for alternate steels and blade grinds. The Chap XL / thin blade Sage would technically be a new variant of the Sage 4. And I'd buy one :D .

I'd also be pretty happy with an MGE Wholesale S90V / teal blue Sage 5 LW to match the MGE Native 5 LW I have in the same color and steel combo.

Interesting, thanks for explaining that! I ordered a Sage 5 LW on a whim and it is such an excellent knife. Fantastic ergos, action, fit and finish. So well balanced in every way.

Not the biggest fan of the comp lock, especially vs my beloved back locks but this is such a sleeper knife- especially when put up against the high-volume “premium” EDC knives that are so popular right now. Talk about a smooth action, and quite fidgetable for those who like that.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Matus

Post by Matus »

It's like someone was reading my thoughts. I have been looking a lot into Sage 5 and Para 3 (YT mainly) lately and would love to see Sage 5 in different steels - maybe something like Rex45, S90V, or what about Vanax? :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:09 am
It's like someone was reading my thoughts. I have been looking a lot into Sage 5 and Para 3 (YT mainly) lately and would love to see Sage 5 in different steels - maybe something like Rex45, S90V, or what about Vanax? :)

I think for some the Para 3 will be the "better Sage 5", but for some (including me) the Sage 5 will be "the better Para 3". So I am sure there'd be a market for Sage 5 variants, also because it has a very popular size and very popular locktype. And, it would not hurt if "Sage 5 type folks" who'd not buy a Para 3, would get THEIR turn now... ;)
JMM

Post by JMM »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:50 pm
love the series conceptually, as the native is one of my favorite models ergonomically. I'm all for more steel variations of any kind.

S90v sage 2 when.
[+1] - For Sage2 in S90V

Followed by Sage3 G10 w/SE K390 & Sage3 CF/PE K390...

...perhaps followed by Sage4 in Rex45

...and Sage5 in LC200N?

:D ;) :)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

JMM wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:58 am
[+1] - For Sage2 in S90V

...and Sage5 in LC200N?

I'd flip the steels in the 2 and the 5. Put LC200N in the Sage 2, since the all Ti handle with no liners is a ceramic detent ball and LC200N blade away from being the Sage Salt, following the SpydieChef formula. Put S90V in the Sage 5 / Sage 5 LW.
JMM

Post by JMM »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:09 am
JMM wrote:
[+1] - For Sage2 in S90V

...and Sage5 in LC200N?

I'd flip the steels in the 2 and the 5. Put LC200N in the Sage 2, since the all Ti handle with no liners is a ceramic detent ball and LC200N blade away from being the Sage Salt, following the SpydieChef formula. Put S90V in the Sage 5 / Sage 5 LW.
I see your point, it's certainly a more logical approach... honestly, in the Sage 2, 3, or 4, I would almost certainly buy any and all steels/versions made -- IMO the 2/3/4 are just that good...
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

If the Sage 5 LW is intended to get more variations, I’d like to add that I think Rex121,
Z-max (equivalent to Rex86), or Rex 45 would make great performers in the Sage’s design and thin BTE geometry!
I also really like some of the other member’s suggestions of earth tone FRN colors (they look great on the new Roadies from what I’ve seen), as well as light tinted colors like the ivory Straight Spine Stretch or a new tan/beige.

Figured I’d throw my change into the well!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

JMM wrote:

[+1] - For Sage2 in S90V

...and Sage5 in LC200N?

+1 for sage 5 salt, and +1 for any regularly available rex45 of any kind.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Matthewhelmuth

Post by Matthewhelmuth »

I signed up for the forums expressly to respond to this topic, and to add a very enthusiastic +1 to the sage 5 lw in alternate steels.
I recently decided to make my first “real” knife purchase, and after much deliberation settled on the sage 5 lw. I was on the verge of going down a deep rabbit hole and could have wound up with many many knives, but the sage 5 is such a well rounded knife (and pleasing to use, behold, and fidget with) that I think I’ll have a quiver of 1 going forward. The one place I could stand for improvement is in edge retention and toughness - I work in the trades and have found myself needing to sharpen the s30v more often than I’d like.
So, once again, I’ll express my eager anticipation of the Sage 5 LW in a “super” steel (or steels).
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Matthewhelmuth:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum!

Stay safe,

Mike