Could it be that Spyderco will "rerun" the entire Sage series in Maxamet?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Could it be that Spyderco will "rerun" the entire Sage series in Maxamet?

Post by Doc Dan »

Yawn.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm more excited about new models, but do like the idea of a Sage2 with K390. A rerun of all the models in Maxamet doesn't really appeal to me.

How about an updated Sage2 with the CRK ceramic interface/integrated detent? Would that qualify as a new Sage model, or CQI? :p
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:01 am
From all I know of it: I totally am - in a way!

- I think it is a most fascinating steel in its properties
- I also think it is great that Spyderco really does production folders in this special steel, whick makes me in return even more a Spyderco "fan" ;)

I never had Maxamet so I can weigh in just in a limited way. But from all I know and read it is just not my kind of steel, practically speaking, calculating all its pros and cons and relate them to the price (which, don´t get me wrong, generally is perfectly fine for THAT steel!!)

I just like more balance between edge retention and ease of sharpening in my users (and all my Spydies are users).
I don´t need the extremely high edge retention, and combined with presumably a bit reduced toughness (?) and with the flipside that it certainly is harder to sharpen for an at max average guy sharpener like me would make me probably invest a higher price for a Spydie in other features than Maxamet.
I am generally just totally fine with steels like S30V, and REX 45 or HAP40 are "supersteel-ish" enough for me ;)
Yea, that makes sense. I don't think most people need Maxamet - in fact, VG-10 is one of my favorite EDC steels, because it's just so easy to touch up.

That said, I've really enjoyed my Maxamet Manix 2, for what it's worth. I've only had to touch up the edge once or twice in the past year or so, and regularly use it as a work knife cutting zip ties and cardboard etc. I only used the sharpmaker, and while it took a little longer than some of the other harder steels, wasn't THAT much worse than sharpening Rex45. I still like Rex 45 and especially K390 better though, I think.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I had sorta assumed the whole series would get a run through with different steels, based on the success of the sage 1 release.

Really I just desperately want a modernized sage 2 with a lockbar insert and fancy steel.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
archangel

Post by archangel »

Sal had promised more Maxamet. I think the Sage 1 was the single one new Maxamet release in what? 2+ years or so? I doubt they'll release 4 more MM Sages. Or if they did, it would take forever.

I still don't own any Maxamet. The Sage is currently the MM Spydie that I'd take, though I'm not a super big fan of liner locks. Maybe Sal will surprise us... a Maxamet Yojimbo/jumbo would be sweet..... :rolleyes:
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...