In Search of Someone to Sharpen Maxamet Para 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mtice

In Search of Someone to Sharpen Maxamet Para 2

Post by mtice »

I realized I did not post this in the General discussion by mistake the first time, so putting it where more members may see it... I have a Paramilitary 2 in Maxamet manufactured in 2020 that I am looking to get sharpened by someone skilled at sharpening Maxamet. Does anyone know if Deadboxhero takes on paid sharpening jobs? I haven’t been able to successfully connect with him. Otherwise I am hoping members here could recommend someone who offers skilled Maxamet hand sharpening service. I know I could send it back to Spyderco for their sharpening service but I’m looking for a bit more custom of a hand sharpening to really ring the “max” potential out of this Maxamet. Suggestions and recommendations much appreciated. Thanks
Steeltoez83

Re: In Search of Someone to Sharpen Maxamet Para 2

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I've had good luck with the new double sided cbn stone with maxamet. I'm content with the 800 grit finish but a 1 micron strop afterwards is a good guideline to follow in my opinion.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Spyderco provides a sharpening service. Or are you looking for some special edge-treatment?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
mtice

Post by mtice »

Looking for hand sharpening to remove possible heated edge and put a hair whittling edge on it. I know it takes the right stones and skill, which I do not have.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Jason Bosman - JasonB on bladeforums may do it
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Josh at Razor Edge Knives (REK). I couldn’t recommend him any more strongly and even Sal took notice of his work when he pulled out his jewelers loop at a show to examine the edge Josh put on my Slysz Bowie. I send all my nicest knives to him to do, and he really does live up to his company name. He has a form on his website you can fill out and his prices are extremely reasonable.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've had excellent experiences with Josh at Razor Edge Knives.

The Spyderco factory sharpening service is free, though, and works great for me. :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:47 pm
I've had excellent experiences with Josh at Razor Edge Knives.

The Spyderco factory sharpening service is free, though, and works great for me. :)

Tom, just out of interest:
Since I am sure you´re sufficient / good at sharpening yourself, when do you make use of the Spyderco service?
And if, just cause it is convenient, or cause they still have better results than you can achieve (this would certainly so in MY case), or cause some particular steels give you troubles?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

mtice wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:54 pm
Looking for hand sharpening to remove possible heated edge and put a hair whittling edge on it. I know it takes the right stones and skill, which I do not have.
Ah, I see.

Anyone know whether Spyderco’s sharpening service is by machine or by hand?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”