Siren - strange lock movement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anycal

Siren - strange lock movement

Post by anycal »

I was doing some wood whittling with my Siren over the weekend, and noticed blade and lock bar movement. At first I thought it was due to me pushing hard down on the lock bar. But I can actually make it move without pushing on it.

If I push down on the blade hard enough, the blade will move up and the lock bar moves down, as if to disengage the lock.

Very strange. Anyone else noticed this with their Siren. Tried other backlocks, and I can't replicate this on any other knife.

Peter
PStone

Re: Siren - strange lock movement

Post by PStone »

Not me, but others are reporting the same issue over at BladeForums. Sal seems to want them sent in for evaluation. That’s what I’d do.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spy ... e.1774125/
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mine does not do that. I would send it in.
:unicorn
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Mine does it too. It takes quite a bit of force though.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
anycal

Post by anycal »

Hmm. Interesting thread on BF.

I guess I will have to call it in. I think that will be my first.
Peter
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'll have to test mine and report back.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

Mine does it. So coupled with my grip loosening the lock and making the blade feel rattly, and the very narrow margin for avoiding the blade when closing it, I'm going to sell my Siren. I don't think it's unsafe, there are just too many idiosyncrasies to the knife for me to think about while handling it.

Sal does not want them sent in. He said in the BF thread that they had enough in house to check.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Mine does it, too. But only barely does the lock bar lift higher than the blade’s spine.

I’ve attributed this movement to be part of a lockback’s infamous lock-rock.

Curiously, my near-to-hand PacSalt and Stretch have even more lock-rock but I can’t perceive any lift when pressing down on their handles.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

anycal wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:29 am
I was doing some wood whittling with my Siren over the weekend, and noticed blade and lock bar movement. At first I thought it was due to me pushing hard down on the lock bar. But I can actually make it move without pushing on it.

If I push down on the blade hard enough, the blade will move up and the lock bar moves down, as if to disengage the lock.

Very strange. Anyone else noticed this with their Siren. Tried other backlocks, and I can't replicate this on any other knife.

I just tested mine and can confirm that happens to mine as well. This is with firm, but not excessive force. I have seen this on other backlocks, but to a much, much lesser degree. This is really disconcerting in use. I wonder if Spyderco will warranty replace this?
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Holland

Post by Holland »

Wow wouldn't expect that to happen.

Sounds like the Siren has a lit of issues with the lock
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Mine does it too.
None of my other spyderco lockbacks do it.

An explanation is one thing but Im curious about how spyderco will fix it, if they choose to.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
craytab

Post by craytab »

As I said on bladeforums, mine does this. I'll be watching for a response from Sal. I'm a huge fan of Salt knives and of Lance's designs but this is a huge disappointment.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Well I tried again using more force and it seems mine does do it after all. I never put this much force on a folding knife with my grip so far behind the pivot so I've never noticed this behavior. Very strange seeing the lock release go down like a ghost is pushing it.

:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

vivi wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:39 pm
Well I tried again using more force and it seems mine does do it after all. I never put this much force on a folding knife with my grip so far behind the pivot so I've never noticed this behavior. Very strange seeing the lock release go down like a ghost is pushing it.
My thoughts exactly. It really is disconcerting when you feel the lock drop away.

FTR, mine is much worse than yours in the picture. I don't feel comfortable using it at this point. This is sad because I love the design and how it fits my hand.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Jesting Devil

Post by Jesting Devil »

Mine does this as well, not as much as some here but it does lift without much pressure. Frustrating with how much I like the design of this knife
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I had the issue of the bar disengaging from moderate pressure of my palm, when the knife was in grip.
anycal

Post by anycal »

soulspy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:21 am
Mine does it. So coupled with my grip loosening the lock and making the blade feel rattly, and the very narrow margin for avoiding the blade when closing it, I'm going to sell my Siren. I don't think it's unsafe, there are just too many idiosyncrasies to the knife for me to think about while handling it.

Sal does not want them sent in. He said in the BF thread that they had enough in house to check.
I don't think that is true. I called warranty, and they want my knife.
Peter
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I have another knife I need to send in. So if they do want these??? I will send the siren as well.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

anycal wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:33 pm
soulspy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:21 am

I don't think that is true. I called warranty, and they want my knife.
I just called the W&R department about mine and the person answering said they would evaluate mine if I sent it in. I sensed no one was yet hot-to-trot as he said this is day one of the problem as far as he knew. YMMV.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I almost want one just to try and figure out what’s happening! It’s strange but I’m always so curious about mysteries like this.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool: